Jon Langford

Know the whereabouts of any ex-Sisters members or hangers-on? Got any amusing anecdotes about members of the band, past or present? Post 'em here...
rien
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

stufarq wrote:Did Von really call himself Spiggy back then? (There's an Indiana Jones joke in there somewhere.)
We named the CAT

Anyway, Spiggy & The Stooges?

(I think it sounds a bit like a portmanteau of Speed and Twiggy, but I know that's not the origin. Yes, I have read the FAQ.)
“Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.�
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

weirdly i know i've read that interview/article before, but pretty certain i've never seen the picture. just checked the scrapbook (you know which one i mean) and it's not in there, so f**k knows. thanks again spiggymr7. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Joy
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:weirdly i know i've read that interview/article before, but pretty certain i've never seen the picture. just checked the scrapbook (you know which one i mean) and it's not in there, so f**k knows. thanks again spiggymr7. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
You may have read it here (later edition of the same article)?

"Music is there to enrich your life and make you aware of things in a slightly different way."
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Thanx for opening up your immense collection, Mr Spiggy 7 8) :notworthy:

Me too, i'm sure I read that before, but I can't remember seeing that pic before... or else it got erased from my mind. Also possible ;D
in dub we trust
rien
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

BTW, this thread made me dream of a grumpy black cat version of Eldritch.
“Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.�
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

BTW Spiggy is from Private Eye - their stock rock-star character is Spiggy Topes.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Silver_Owl
The Don

I never knew that. :)
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Dan
Overbomber

Ah, don't think I'd read that Melody Maker article before but the final paragraph seems familiar.

Where's that second version from? A reprint? It says "TLFe Book" but I don't know what that is.
Joy
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Dan wrote:Ah, don't think I'd read that Melody Maker article before but the final paragraph seems familiar.

Where's that second version from? A reprint? It says "TLFe Book" but I don't know what that is.
The article is from this:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/234921017/NME ... 006#scribd
"Music is there to enrich your life and make you aware of things in a slightly different way."
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

rien wrote:
stufarq wrote:Did Von really call himself Spiggy back then? (There's an Indiana Jones joke in there somewhere.)
We named the CAT
Yes, I know, but the article refers to Von as Spiggy.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
million voices
Slight Overbomber

Is "Spiggy" a reference to his much vaunted skinny legs?
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Dan wrote:Ah, don't think I'd read that Melody Maker article before but the final paragraph sounds familiar.
You're right, it was re quoted elsewhere, possibly in the article in the York Rock Festival Programme ?
Being645
Above the Chemist

markfiend wrote:BTW Spiggy is from Private Eye - their stock rock-star character is Spiggy Topes.
Ah. That's an interesting reference ... :notworthy: ...

Living far away in Germany, I had never heard of that magazine before... :D ... sounds quite entertaining ... :D ...
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

there is also a live review of the gig NME Feb 20th with no picture, but mention of John as the stand in - starts by saying 'the rhythm guitarist is in detention... '
Goths have feelings too
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Mr Langford did the artwork for the 'new' Mark Lanegan record:

in dub we trust