Smash Hits

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Debaser
Overbomber

30 years ago today that the Sisters get their very first mention.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51106326@ ... 5124801623

:lol:
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

a massive mention :lol:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
ruffers
Overbomber

And don't forget to read on kids for the Jesus and Mary Chain article.
Chucking another log on
mh
Above the Chemist

Album review! https://www.flickr.com/photos/51106326@ ... 124801623/
The Sisters of Mercy: First and Last and Always

The Sisters of Mercy have filthy, long, unkempt hair, always scowl in photographs, and generally look as if they're the sort of people who'd make a rather unpleasant din. Thankfully they don't. Resembling something like a more rugged Bauhaus and Siouxsie and the Banshees with a deep-voiced male singer, they surge through ten repetitive tunes, some good (the new single, "No Time to Cry"), some very ordinary (the endless "Marian"). Quite a promising start.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

mh wrote:Album review! https://www.flickr.com/photos/51106326@ ... 124801623/

The Sisters of Mercy have filthy, long, unkempt hair, always scowl in photographs, and generally look as if they're the sort of people who'd make a rather unpleasant din. Thankfully they don't. Resembling something like a more rugged Bauhaus and Siouxsie and the Banshees with a deep-voiced male singer, they surge through ten repetitive tunes, some good (the new single, "No Time to Cry"), some very ordinary (the endless "Marian"). Quite a promising start.
The title is given as First and Last and Everything. Obviously Barry White fans.
mh
Above the Chemist

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:

The title is given as First and Last and Everything. Obviously Barry White fans.
So it is. :lol: :notworthy:

I thought the review started so well too; I have very fond memories of those old Smash Hits reviews and articles where sometimes the journalist writes as though he were holding a dead rat by the tail. Always felt that it seemed to have more integrity than the weeklies.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Debaser
Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:a massive mention :lol:
Hee hee, you obviously didn't read on.
Debaser
Overbomber

Whereas you did :lol:
Debaser
Overbomber

Oh and if you head further into the magazine, Amoeba & Amoeba from Tadcaster, are looking for penpals. They hate Duran Duran but love Bauhaus, The Sisters of Mercy and The Smiths.

Weren't we all so trusting back then, we'd give our addresses out and everything!

Wonder if they're still there? Or here :lol: :lol: :lol:
road_kill
Road Kill

Debaser wrote:30 years ago today that the Sisters get their very first mention.
Apart from the interview in July 1984 of course...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/51106326@ ... 134592553/
NhDNlkYcIc
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Fifteen records released on MR ? Surely there were only eight releases by then (eleven if you include the 12" versions). Is there a factually accurate Smash Hits article ?
Debaser
Overbomber

road_kill wrote:
Debaser wrote:30 years ago today that the Sisters get their very first mention.
Apart from the interview in July 1984 of course...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/51106326@ ... 134592553/

:oops: My excuse for missing that (I read them every fortnight, well look at the pictures) is that I was poorly in July.

Thanks for the correction RK :lol:
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Are these old issues of Smash Hits like government classified documents and released under some thirty year rule ? Perhaps that pic of Martin Kemp topless was deemed a risk to public order.
rien
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:Are these old issues of Smash Hits like government classified documents and released under some thirty year rule ? Perhaps that pic of Martin Kemp topless was deemed a risk to public order.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :notworthy:
“Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.�