Lord Of Darkness Bootleg LP - Sound quality ???

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
sathvyre
Road Kill

i am curious about the "lord of darkness" bootleg lp cause i could get it for a nice price. anybody out there who owns that record and could tell me something about the sound quality ? does it sound like cassette recordings or was it sourced from the digital files ? any idea would be very helpful !!! thank you very much.
Gaijin
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

This seems to be low quality. I found a torrent with remarks to that effect by it's seeder.

It's likely too old to be sourced from anything but cassettes of aircheck.
"All God's children give good phone,
I called Jesus He's not home... "
susky
Road Kill

Love the title and am eager to hear what you find out about this boot. I can't offer anything in regards to sound quality but in terms of useless trivia I can tell you that the coverart was used a long time ago on the debut album from Austrian death metallers, Pungent Stench For God Your Soul For Me Your Flesh (1989). Now my 80's death metal roots are showing, ha

sathvyre
Road Kill

haha...you are right !!! i was thinking about the cover picture for some days, but for sure it was pungent stench !!! time to celebrate that record again ;)
back to topic: is there any vinyl boot available, including the complete digital broadcasts of the three bbc sessions ?
Gaijin

Vinyl sourced from from DAB?
sathvyre
Road Kill

since the early 90s, i always enjoyed my "they are not departed or gone" bootleg LP, but since the digital re-broadcasts were available, i can never listen to my vinyl...it is incomplete, runs too fast and sounds bad, compared to the digital broadcasts.
sure, it is dab stuff, lossy format and so on...but i would really love to have all the three complete sessions on lp. is there any good sounding version out there ?
susky
Road Kill

sathvyre wrote:since the early 90s, i always enjoyed my "they are not departed or gone" bootleg LP, but since the digital re-broadcasts were available, i can never listen to my vinyl...it is incomplete, runs too fast and sounds bad, compared to the digital broadcasts.
sure, it is dab stuff, lossy format and so on...but i would really love to have all the three complete sessions on lp. is there any good sounding version out there ?
Interesting. Never heard of this boot before. Just searched it and found a sold listing on ebay. I'm guessing this is the one you have:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Sisters-of- ... 7675.l2557

The tracklist that I can make out in the ebay pics suggest it was a show from 1984-ish? When you say "digital broadcasts" does that mean this show is archived somewhere online that I might be able to listen to it? Would like to check it out if possible.
sathvyre
Road Kill

this is exactly what i have on vinyl. this release don't include a show, but most of the radio one sessions and two early live tracks, tagged to the end of the LP.
i listened to the record again. besides the fact that it runs too fast, you can clearly hear that it was sourced from another vinyl boot...
darcraver
Road Kill

I too would be interested in knowing the "best" source of these radio one sessions? Perhaps a bootleg vinyl lp, or digital file(s)?
Pista
Cureboi

darcraver wrote:I too would be interested in knowing the "best" source of these radio one sessions? Perhaps a bootleg vinyl lp, or digital file(s)?
Welcome to the forum. :D

The actual, real "best" source will be the BBC archive tape (or whatever media it's stored on). Let's face it. That is THE source. Not going to get better than that really ;)
Failing that, a good capture of the original FM broadcasts, although Jensen only had an AM slot.
:wink:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Gaijin

Here is a recent vinyl with BBC material: http://www.discogs.com/Sisters-Of-Mercy ... se/6579080

No idea if it uses the DAB's as it's source files though. Reasonable price, and a rather nice cover.
darcraver
Road Kill

I ordered that Gimme Shelter (white vinyl) a couple of days ago, so I'll be able to report on the quality soon. I've also ordered the Psychedelic Sessions boot..

I also have the Lord Of Darkness LP. It's ok but not great.
darcraver
Road Kill

Pista wrote: Welcome to the forum. :D

The actual, real "best" source will be the BBC archive tape (or whatever media it's stored on). Let's face it. That is THE source. Not going to get better than that really ;)
Failing that, a good capture of the original FM broadcasts, although Jensen only had an AM slot.
:wink:
Thanks for the welcome. I'm surprised the archive tapes haven't surfaced yet. Would like to see them turn up on eBay :)
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

The last I heard (it was a few years ago - before the Beeb began the process of digitising their archives) old recordings like these only existed on their original real-to-real tapes and old vhs cassettes.

When they closed the old BBC office in Leeds they threw a lot of old stuff like that out.

A friend of mine who worked there at the time managed to borrow broadcast copies go the Mary Chain and Sisters OGWT (complete with the timecode in the top corner) before they were skipped.

Pretty sure they were all binned after that.

As I understand it, only people in certain positions within the Beeb (researchers, typically) have access to these archives. They have to check them out when they want them (like library).

Given that the original would still have to be in existence, and that you'd have to be in the same physical place as the recordings were stored, and that you'd have to care enough to even have a look, and that you'd then have to check the recordings out and digitise them yourself... well, I think we're talking about a 1000000-1 chance of these ever surfacing.

Also, given all the factors above, any subsequent leak would be highly traceable to the individual.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Pista
Cureboi

Quiff Boy wrote:
As I understand it, only people in certain positions within the Beeb (researchers, typically) have access to these archives. They have to check them out when they want them (like library).
Until fairly recently it was possible to ask about certain archives. I did a bit of detective work regarding an alleged The Cure session on Richard Skinner's show back in 83 which turned out to be a Round Table program where new releases were reviewed.
Sadly the archive site is no longer staffed
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Gaijin

Pista wrote:I did a bit of detective work regarding an alleged The Cure session on Richard Skinner's show back in 83 which turned out to be a Round Table program where new releases were reviewed.
Info assimilated - you'd be referring to the 'session' from 04/84 though I assume.
Gaijin

Quiff Boy wrote:The last I heard (it was a few years ago - before the Beeb began the process of digitising their archives) old recordings like these only existed on their original real-to-real tapes and old vhs cassettes.

When they closed the old BBC office in Leeds they threw a lot of old stuff like that out.

A friend of mine who worked there at the time managed to borrow broadcast copies go the Mary Chain and Sisters OGWT (complete with the timecode in the top corner) before they were skipped.

Pretty sure they were all binned after that.

Given that the original would still have to be in existence, and that you'd have to be in the same physical place as the recordings were stored, and that you'd have to care enough to even have a look, and that you'd then have to check the recordings out and digitise them yourself... well, I think we're talking about a 1000000-1 chance of these ever surfacing.

Also, given all the factors above, any subsequent leak would be highly traceable to the individual.
The purpose of digitising content is to not have to move media back and forth. Once integrated the digital archive would not make it necessary for copies of anything to be made either, as the broadcast suites would remotely access all content on the archive servers. Only a show's producer and the scheduler would have access to the archive and then only to metadata via their respective software suites.

The original storage media for the OGWT appearance would likely have been U-matic, not VHS, though that is probably deceased now and a moot point. VHS was used as a copy medium and usually for promo purposes and usually with the timecode visible. It's not logical to store broadcast clips on VHS and certainly not with visible timecode.
Pista
Cureboi

Gaijin wrote: Info assimilated - you'd be referring to the 'session' from 04/84 though I assume.
The Cure sesh? No that was 09/83 & was being banded about as an FM session when it was an AM new release review.
The point though is that it used to be possible to ask the beeb questions about archived shows. The guy that wrote me back was pretty helpful & it is a shame they've stopped staffing that service now.
:(
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Gaijin

^^OK. Got some dates wrong. Further info via PM so as not to derail further.