Pdf problem advice needed

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Recently I upgraded to a new pc because the old one (running windows xp ) would no longer open pdf files. My new pc running windows 7 and using foxit pdf reader worked fine until today,now when I try clicking the pdf file inside the email absolutely nothing happens. I have tried uninstalling foxit and reinstalling to no effect and also downloading acrobat and making that the default reader again to no effect. Tried a system restart to last week when everything worked fine to no effect. Attemped with IE ,Firefox and Chrome. Essentially I can open the email but when I try to click on the download link for the pdf file absolutely nothing happens.
Any ideas?
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Pat
Slight Overbomber

If you can open PDF files from web pages like this
http://www.photographers-resource.co.uk ... ss_53N.pdf

then it might be the security settings for your e mail account
rien
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Maybe the problem isn't with the file format, but with the file itself? It could be corrupted (maybe the person on the other end saved it wrong or something).

I use Sumatra because it's free and Not Acrobat.
“Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.�
Pista
Cureboi

I'm sure we've had this raised before.
IIRC it was an issue with associating the file extension correctly with the reader.
I guess you have checked you have the latest version of the the reader installed & perhaps even done a clean re-install of it?
Also, if it's only effecting email attachments, could be your anti virus software preventing you from opening it.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Being645
Above the Chemist

Also Thunderbird issued a new version! I've had various funny problems with files of any kind that arrived by email, when a new version was just out ... no matter what operation system...

Anyway, XP does open PDF files without a problem, if you've got the right programme to do it.
Dan
Overbomber

Your emails security settings might be preventing you, which is a sensible security measure.

Assuming first that you know the file to be safe and not some dodgy spam, try saving it first, then click the saved version. If it still doesn't open but you're able to open other files successfully then the file is probably damaged.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

it was me who had the problem before and it was a case of installing a new reader. But I simply couldn't open pdf files. Your problem seems to be about opening an email link, which means it might have nothing to do with pdfs at all. As others have said, it sounds more like it's something to do with your email security settings or your antivirus.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

stufarq wrote: As others have said, it sounds more like it's something to do with your email security settings or your antivirus.
If I forward the email from my Virgin media email to my Yahoo email it lets me open it but until Friday it happily opened them from Virgin. Using an Android phone I can open them at source as well.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"

we fall to rise
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

So sounds like the problem's with your Virgin email then? Some sort of compatibility issue or software conflict perhaps? Or maybe your latest antivirus update doesn't like something about Virgin.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Pista
Cureboi

stufarq wrote:Or maybe your latest antivirus update doesn't like something about Virgin.
That grinning loon Branson broke it! :D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

stufarq wrote:So sounds like the problem's with your Virgin email then? Some sort of compatibility issue or software conflict perhaps? Or maybe your latest antivirus update doesn't like something about Virgin.
Aye,at the moment the work around of forwarding them to Yahoo is doing the trick,but it is still annoying.

we fall to rise
SomVildTiger
Road Kill

well you see

If I was real evil

and

If I had a larger then imaginable corporation

and you already had my product

And I tought, ya sat on it for too long

Cause I've done a real good job in updating my interest about you

I'd change somethings around

try n convince you of saftey of the new,
I might even say your version is infact unsafe!

I'd cut the support for the older version of equipment/system/whatever you are using

And I'd 'ask' you

Now feel pretty safe don't ya
Silver_Owl
The Don

:?:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

ribbons69 wrote:
stufarq wrote:So sounds like the problem's with your Virgin email then? Some sort of compatibility issue or software conflict perhaps? Or maybe your latest antivirus update doesn't like something about Virgin.
Aye,at the moment the work around of forwarding them to Yahoo is doing the trick,but it is still annoying.
these tools of any use?

http://smallpdf.com
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Debaser
Overbomber

Thank chuff it's not just me! I've been having the devil's own job opening ANY attachments sent via Virginmail. I thought it was just my lippylaptop. I too had to open another email account - ANOTHER blimmin username and password to forget :roll:
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Debaser wrote:
Thank chuff it's not just me! I've been having the devil's own job opening ANY attachments sent via Virginmail. I thought it was just my lippylaptop. I too had to open another email account - ANOTHER blimmin username and password to forget :roll:
Well just to upset you further,from about five days ago mine started working again. For no apparent reason. Now when I click to download the pdf it opens a box at the bottom of the screen prompting me to open or download.
Someone probably unticked the wrong box somewhere.

we fall to rise