Good UK cities for acting/stand-up?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
rien
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I want to move to the UK to work on my stand-up/acting/voice-acting, but London sucks the life out of me, so I was wondering if anyone has any tips where I could start out, get acclimatised, etc.? My research so far suggests Manchester, because apparently the BBC is doing a lot there and it's a university city with lots of projects, is that correct?
I'd actually been hoping to maybe go to Edinburgh or Glasgow, but they don't come up as much and only in relation to "commute to Manc and London regularly".
“Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.�
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

the bbc is in manchester, yes.
can't see what's wrong with edinburgh or glasgow, actually.
norwich is also a very arty place.
I don't wanna live like I don't mind
rien

Is there a lot going on in Edinburgh in the months of Sept-July?
Norwich seems a bit small/off... (I actually went there to look at a school many years ago)
“Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.�
Silver_Owl
The Don

Birmingham maybe?
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Well, Edinburgh does have that festival every year. It also has a Stand comedy club. They have an open mic night every week with a very receptive audience. Some big names (on the UK circuit anyway) often headline it to try out new material, so you'd get the chance to talk to them backstage. Some pubs etc have comedy nights too, so there are other opportunities. Edinburgh's a bit expensive to live in (compared to the rest of Scotland, that is - not compared to, say, London), so you might want to live outside of the city and commute in.

Glasgow has a Stand too, but I don't know what things are lime there.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
rien

Okay, thank you so far!