Windows 10

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Pat
Slight Overbomber

The free update button has appeared on my desktop .
So the question is should I or would you take the freebie while it's going? I'm running Windows 7 at the moment and quite happy with it. I have Lightroom 5 which is compatible and Photoshop Elements 12 which should work.
I'm sure I read somewhere that 10 was a lot lighter on the processor and that even some old Windows 98 machines were running the beta version quite happily so hoping for a speed boost.
limur
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Pat wrote:The free update button has appeared on my desktop .
Can you post a screen shot? :eek: :lol: 8)
...train, crashin' head long into the heartland...

Pushing Good Music #PGM www.livemusicreview.co.uk
Pat
Slight Overbomber

Bartek
Underneath the Rock

If it's true that it's lighter on the processor then i should download it immediately on my 7 years old laptop, but before that i'll check some reviews.
limur

Oooh! :eek:

I'm going to be tempted to click that, if it appears on any of my machines :roll: :lol:

Silver_Owl
The Don

My Mac isn't interested in such business.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
mh
Above the Chemist

I've been using the preview versions on VMs for the past 6 months or so, but right now I'm actually happy enough with 8.1, and I can't really upgrade anyway because 10 will remove Media Center which I like and use.

I'll probably upgrade a wee netbook I have for bringing on holidays though, since all I really need that for is web browsing. But I've no compelling reason to upgrade my main machine.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Pista
Cureboi

Hom_Corleone wrote:My Mac isn't interested in such business.
Wot he said
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Being645
Above the Chemist

Similar here. Heaven knows which of my old programmes would run under W10. It's already slightly difficult with 7.
So with 10 I would have to buy quite a few updates ... and I don't need them. All works nicely the way it is.
To me it's mostly a lot of stressful updating, searching for drivers and more such stuff ... :urff: ... so definitely NOT looking forward to it ... :evil: ...

However, Microsoft has announced to stop updating Windows 7 relatively soon, just as they did with XP ... phh ... :evil: ...
I really hate all these companies and their eternal annual greed for further profits through "updates" one hardly really needs (except for security fixes).

Fortunately, it's not yet that far with cars. Otherwise we had to buy the latest "update" each year ...
well sooner or later, they'll probably see to that ... :evil: ...
Pat
Slight Overbomber

Being645 wrote: Microsoft has announced to stop updating Windows 7 relatively soon, just as they did with XP ... phh ... :evil: ...
That's the real reason for considering it, I held onto XP for as long as I could but took Windows 7 rather than 8 on my new PC. Looks like they've learned their lessons after having to extend the support period for XP.
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Pista wrote:
Hom_Corleone wrote:My Mac isn't interested in such business.
Wot he said
Thirded. ;D

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
abridged
Slight Overbomber

My computer has Vista. I'm quite fond of it. :oops:
The Chancer Corporation
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

abridged wrote:My computer has Vista. I'm quite fond of it. :oops:
mine too, nothing to be embarrased of. any faults in it seem to have been ironed out by sp2 and as mines x64 i can honestly say Win7 (which my gf has) is certainly no better; in fact i prefer vista as it still has some of the familiarity and straightforwardness of xp and no endlessly duplicated libraries.

...and amazingly still has updates and support.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
million voices
Slight Overbomber

I've got one of those little doofreys at the the bottom of my screen
But the machine is so old I'm not sure the engines would take it Captain
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

I'm always wary of clicking on anything on the screen that pops up. I'm happy with 7 but I'll watch some reviews and see what they say. Apparently it's free to upgrade for a year so need to make any hasty decisions
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
rien

Saw that, pre-ordered out of curiosity and then read up on it; apparently it's better than 7 and 8, and I'm not too happy with 7 anyway, so why not. I'm just miffed the icon won't go away even though I've ordered the upgrade :/
“Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.�
Being645
Above the Chemist

rien wrote:... I'm just miffed the icon won't go away even though I've ordered the upgrade :/
Heaven knows, maybe it's got a secret camera function ... :urff: ... :lol: ...
limur

Being645 wrote:
rien wrote:... I'm just miffed the icon won't go away even though I've ordered the upgrade :/
Heaven knows, maybe it's got a secret camera function ... :urff: ... :lol: ...
Mine's appeared. And now it won't go away either... :roll:

Johnny Rev 7.0
Banned

So I guess I must be the only person running unsupported XP on a 15 year-old PC? And some people call me a dinosaur? Kids today.
What a season
to be beautiful
without a reason
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Johnny Rev 7.0 wrote:So I guess I must be the only person running unsupported XP on a 15 year-old PC? And some people call me a dinosaur? Kids today.
The logistics company I work for has many clients however the biggest ( and the one I work on ) is a baby goods company that I cannot name for security reasons but it's the big one for mothers that care, anyway during peak periods we have 40 PC's scanning out goods for mailorder. The vast majority of these run on XP however at least one that we use 24 hours a day 365 days a year is running Windows 2000.
I imagine Amazon have a slightly more modern setup
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
rien

Johnny Rev 7.0 wrote:So I guess I must be the only person running unsupported XP on a 15 year-old PC? And some people call me a dinosaur? Kids today.
I'm still hanging on to my 6 year XP laptop, but I hardly ever use it.
“Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.�
Hunslet Ramone
Amphetamine Filth

I am running unsupported XP on my home built desktop too ,which is about 6 years old, I have upgraded memory,graphics card etc in the last 3 years and have paid for AVG antivirus
had no problems yet regarding XP with security issues. Was thinking of buying Windows 7 , but is it worth it ? not sure about Windows 8.
I go to gigs, and if there is any money left, I eat
Pista
Cureboi

Pat wrote:Image

:innocent:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
culprit
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

call me naive, but i've regained my confidence in windows lately.
new pc with windows 8.1 and it really works well. I was happy with xp and never wanted to upgrade, but hardware forced me.

it does what it should.
so, i will upgrade once its been around a few months.
...mmmmmmmmmMMMMMM!....