Another Perspective...

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
abridged
Slight Overbomber

http://pitchfork.com/news/61248-morriss ... in-the-uk/

It's a different point of view. I'm still glad the Sisters are touring despite no new material. I can see his point but there is some great songs (not to mention Smiths songs) that still sound brilliant live. There's also the fact that musicians always say they will never play again... :wink: ;D
The Chancer Corporation
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Maybe there is and asterisk which says: except that kind of occasions and/or shows that are worth doing that*.

(We/I decide what is worth).

Basically that is honest statement, but if always up to band/artist to choose that, one doing it only for money, other for pleasure (and money), when fan/followers are going, everyone is satisfied, so no harm is done, then it's good. So, talking about that band, there's still some demand to see them, so as long and crowd is happy it's good.
Pista
Cureboi

I read this in t'Grauniad & thought this was a pretty selfish thing to do.
He's effectively taking out his inability to get a record label on board on his UK fan base isn't he?
With a stance like that is it any wonder labels won't touch him with a barge pole?
& in any case, this guy has a very loyal following & regularly sells out large venues without much trouble (until he cancels because the doorman has had a bacon sarnie or something).
Why would he need to sign for a label? He could pretty easily start his own couldn't he? His net worth is somewhere in the region of $30m so what's stopping him?
He could even crowd-fund releases. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't run into many financial shortfalls if he did that.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Ask :von:

(Of course, I guess but I don't know and I don't care, AE net worth of considerable smaller than Moz).

But seriously, he's man of old time, big rec. corp. giving money on recording, promoting and so, and that's makes it lot, lot easier, with almost no cash risk.
Pista
Cureboi

But that's just it.
He's saying no labels are interested.

Von, on the other hand, simply isn't interested in record labels.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Von has lost interest after they couldn't meet in details ($). Isn't it?
Pista
Cureboi

I think it was more a case of them not doing squat to promote the Sisters.
That's similar to what Moz is saying in that Harvest didn't "do enough" to promote his last album.
But Von didn't get all douchey & tell the fans he'll not play anymore.
He's smarter than that & rather than take it out on the fans, he stitched up WEA with Go Figure. :lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Phil
Amphetamine Filth

Pista wrote: That's similar to what Moz is saying in that Harvest didn't "do enough" to promote his last album.
Harvest deleted the album about a week after release. That's about as far from promoting an album as you can get.
Anger Is An Energy
Pista
Cureboi

Phil wrote:
Pista wrote: That's similar to what Moz is saying in that Harvest didn't "do enough" to promote his last album.
Harvest deleted the album about a week after release. That's about as far from promoting an album as you can get.
Yep, but only after Mozza had a pop at them.
Not only did they delete it, but they had all copies pulled from shop shelves too.
The deletion led to the f**k Harvest t shirt he wore onstage.
There's douchery on both sides really, but fact remains, nothing's stopping him releasing on his own label.
Another curious thing is that it's a safe bet his records will sell, so there must be some pretty special reasons for labels to reject him so readily.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

It's true, as I'm listening latest PIL, I can see that point.
splintered thing
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

"obsessively grateful"

What now? You can be obsessively grateful??

Anyway... his music, his choice. I spent a lot of money to see him live earlier in the year. Even speaking as a recovering vegetarian I found the long animal rights interval almost unbearably harrowing. I can understand commercial hesitance towards promoting his music/message. Of course he didn't rule out the much rumoured Smiths show...
as the day is long,
rain from heaven
million voices
Slight Overbomber

I don't really like Morrissey (apart from his Dolls connection). He was support to Bowie in '95 and I thought he was crap.

Having said that I do agree with his comments. If a band has no product to promote then why tour and why bother to go and see them?

The only difference between this tour and the last is that the vocals sound even worse, the songs are the same the stage show is the same it is just that the boys in the band are older, balder and fatter.

It is just a money spinning exercise lacking in enthusiasm and excitement.
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

million voices wrote:If a band has no product to promote then why tour and why bother to go and see them?

The only difference between this tour and the last is that the vocals sound even worse, the songs are the same the stage show is the same it is just that the boys in the band are older, balder and fatter.

It is just a money spinning exercise lacking in enthusiasm and excitement.
You're still talking about Morrissey, right? Or someone else we all know?
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.