Vinyl re-issue of F&L&A + 3 EPs

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
darcraver
Road Kill

Yes it will be great having the MOFL release AND this one on 180g vinyl.
darcraver
Road Kill

Randall Flagg wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:no - as far as I know there is a problem with the link. I got an email from someone at Warner's to say they are looking into the problem.

Flagg
As if by magic - just got this....

We have followed this up and unfortunately there was an issue with the link. This has now been fixed and you should be ok to use it now.

Jasmin
Your Warner Music Customer Service Team

Flagg
What link did you use? I used the one from vinyl collector, but my code doesn't work. They said it had been used before... I also had a second code with my receipt. Not sure where I can use that one?

Just to be clear - are the downloads that come with the boxset regular 320 k mps, or are they hirez? Are they also the same mixes as the boxset (i.e. original and not Japanese?).

I would also like the hirez digital files of this boxset. As I've already paid for the vinyl boxset I'm not also going to be paying for the hirez digital files.
mh
Above the Chemist

darcraver wrote:Just to be clear - are the downloads that come with the boxset regular 320 k mps, or are they hirez? Are they also the same mixes as the boxset (i.e. original and not Japanese?).
The downloads that come with the box set are 320k MP3s, Japanese mixes and wrong Body Electric.

Yes, I know. :evil: :evil: :evil:
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
robertzombie
Overbomber

Just buy the HD downloads, jeez.
darcraver
Road Kill

robertzombie wrote:Just buy the HD downloads, jeez.
If I didn't just spend 35 pounds on the boxset, and hadn't purchased quite a few other FALAA albums in the past, I probably would.

I've got quite a few ISO DSD files (SACD's) if you want to do a trade? They play nicely in JRiver. All The Depeche Mode ones and others. I had all my SACD's ripped on a friends Playstation last year.
desertmonkey
Road Kill

This is going to sound stupid but where is the download code? I don't see anything on the packaging of my boxed set that mentions anything about where or how to download it. Is there supposed to be a card inside?

Thanks.
Randall Flagg
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

desertmonkey wrote:This is going to sound stupid but where is the download code? I don't see anything on the packaging of my boxed set that mentions anything about where or how to download it. Is there supposed to be a card inside?

Thanks.
not stupid at all - I almost missed the code. Its on a small 2 inch square piece of paper that's inserted into the slipcase box.

It has the url of the d/l site - plus of course the code.

Flagg
desertmonkey
Road Kill

Randall Flagg wrote:
desertmonkey wrote:This is going to sound stupid but where is the download code? I don't see anything on the packaging of my boxed set that mentions anything about where or how to download it. Is there supposed to be a card inside?

Thanks.
not stupid at all - I almost missed the code. Its on a small 2 inch square piece of paper that's inserted into the slipcase box.

Flagg
Ahh, well it looks like I'm out of luck. I checked the box a couple times, and inside the sleeves and all over my living room, and no two inch square with download codes.

Just as well probably. Now that I've been giving them a listen, FALAA (the track) skips! I don't have the best turntable but maybe these are two signs I should just exchange the set for another one.

Thanks Randall!
robertzombie
Overbomber

desertmonkey wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Thanks.

Flagg
Ahh, well it looks like I'm out of luck. I checked the box a couple times, and inside the sleeves and all over my living room, and no two inch square with download codes.

Just as well probably. Now that I've been giving them a listen, FALAA (the track) skips! I don't have the best turntable but maybe these are two signs I should just exchange the set for another one.

Thanks Randall!
Exchange it
desertmonkey
Road Kill

robertzombie wrote:
desertmonkey wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote: not stupid at all - I almost missed the code. Its on a small 2 inch square piece of paper that's inserted into the slipcase box.

Flagg

Thanks Randall!
Exchange it
Exactly! In the meantime it looks like I have no choice but to buy the hi res downloads!
robertzombie
Overbomber

Alas!
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

I´ve just bought mine! ;D ;D ;D
2023: Los Ángeles,Las Vegas, Londonx2, Valencia Madrid, Lisbon, Porto, Bilbao
2024: Gent- Eindhoven - Lokeren - Madrid
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

My copy arrived today and it does sound rather fine indeed! :D
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
Chillburnout
Road Kill

anybody else noticed some noise in the beginning of "some kind of stranger",at the end of "on the wire"?i noticed some more strange sounds between the songs on 2 copies now...today discovered short muting of sound in the very end of "nine while nine"...not happy withe the pressing(?) anymore,remaster is fine of course
mik
Chameleons Guru

Getting mine based on the positive comments here. In the meantime I am listening to "Body and Soul" EP via Apple Music, and even on what is presumably their standard 256 streaming it is Sweet As.
Something pithy.
bismarck
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I got my boxed set today and just listened to First And Last And Always. God I love that album. I always forget how slow the original title track is.

One interesting thing I noticed is that all the sleeve art seems to be recreated rather than sourced from the originals. There are many small differences in font size and spacing on the LP's inner, etc.

Overall I am very happy with this set. I'm no audiophile, and I often get lost reading the charts and looking at the waveforms on this forum. But I will say that I've never heard this album sound better.
The great questions of the day will not be
resolved by speeches and majority decisions,
but by iron and blood.
- Otto von Bismarck
bismarck

By the way, no download code with my copy either.

Is it possible there are two versions of this set? A US version and an EU version?
but by iron and blood.
- Otto von Bismarck
robertzombie
Overbomber

bismarck wrote:By the way, no download code with my copy either.

Is it possible there are two versions of this set? A US version and an EU version?
No, they're all pressed in Europe. The download card is quite small but it's useless MP3s and wrong mixes!
bismarck

Hey Robert,

Thank you for your reply.

Well, there was definitely no download card in my set. I suppose all the sets could be manufactured in the same place, but for legal reasons the US sets don't come with download cards?

Or it's just a mistake.

Has anyone bought a US set and received a download card with it?

Anyway I'm very happy with the set. Probably my 30th copy of the album, but what the hell...
but by iron and blood.
- Otto von Bismarck
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

I never mentioned so far how great the high res files sound, great job. Never enjoyed falaa as much before.
love is just a shot away
Silence is platinum
Slight Overbomber

Finally i got a copy of the box (so late due to fecking bank restrictions here in Greece) and had a long listening session last night.
First of all there's definitely more air and space in the songs, now you can realy follow the guitars as they don't sound messed up as before.
Second the bass comes very clear, the difference is very evident on black planet, possession and 9w9.
The smal piano part on 9w9 now sounds as part of the song and not like someone pushed the "start" & "stop" button accidentally while mixing it.
Drums are also clearer and have a more thunderous sound (especially on skos) and also the vocals sound more clearer than before.
I realy enjoyed the guitars on Marian as the 2 acoustics are now more separated and also you can clearly hear what the electric ones do at the end of the song.
As for the singles for me the most important differences are,
as others have already mentioned, B+S which sounds far better than ever before but the highlight is Train with all the small details in the backround which now come alive (there's a real orgy of sounds going on).
The sound dosen't drop at the end of On the wire either.
The bass on BmD is also clearer and sounds like a real bass and not a synth bass.
On BM though you still try to pin point the bass without luck.
To sum it up each song revealed details that all these years i didn't notice, and as Robertzombie said, this is the best version of falaa available hands down and the whole presentation of the box is very luxurious. I LOVE IT!
robertzombie
Overbomber

:D
the-happening

bismarck wrote:By the way, no download code with my copy either.

There are two versions of the box set if you buy the EU issued copy then the black sticker on the front details a download code if you buy in North America the black sticker is of the MR logo and doesn't detail the download code. The box sets themselves are the same, catalogue number GTIN etc.
"i'm talking about god, devil, hell, do you understand, finally?"
DomConway
Filth

If I were to get the download version of this, would it likely be the same versions in the same quality wherever I get it from?
the only thing to fear is fear itself
mh
Above the Chemist

DomConway wrote:If I were to get the download version of this, would it likely be the same versions in the same quality wherever I get it from?
Last time I checked, things shook out like so:

If you use the download that came with the set (assuming you got a download code) you'll get the Japanese mixes with the wrong Body Electric (i.e original 1982 rather than 1984 version).

If you buy the standard definition (16-bit/44k) download from most/all sources you'll get the correct mixes but the wrong Body Electric.

If you buy the high definition (24-bit/96k) download from most/all sources you'll get everything correct.

Therefore the high definition set is the only one that's known-good; the rest are messed-up in one way or another.

Of course, the record company and online retailers may have fixed some of this since last year, but I'd still suggest that you play safe and use a source that lets you preview the tracks before buying.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.