Vinyl re-issue of FLOODLAND + 3 EPs

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
robertzombie
Overbomber

Listening now, analysis and sonic impressions forthcoming.
robertzombie
Overbomber

This is is easily the best digital version of Floodland. The EQ has been given quite an overhaul in comparison to the original CDs and Rhino's previous remaster. The top end has been rolled off to deal with some of the grainy harshness apparent on the original CD, and the bass is full and powerful without being too overbearing. You'll easily hear the difference in mastering by comparing Dominion on this 2015 edition against an original CD. The added resolution on offer here perhaps lends a bit more insight into the more complex musical passages, but it's slight. Flood I, 1959, and Flood II are the sonic highlights for me.

Dynamics are generally good. The remaster has an average dynamic range of 12 dB, with a minimum of 10 and a maximum of 15. Personally I would have liked a little less compression (Dominion and Lucretia are the worst offenders) as we know, thanks to the superb MFSL vinyl remaster, that these tracks don't need compression to sound big and powerful. Don't let those number put you off buying this though.

I'm not entirely pleased with the sound of the bonus tracks. They're mastered okay, with the 12" This Corrosion and Torch sounding particularly rich, but that top end roll-off that helps elsewhere on the remaster hinders the 12" versions of Dominion and Lucretia. The Dominion 12" version in particular sounds awfully flat and muffled. There's more space on the original CD singles. Thankfully Emma gets a good digital mastering, at last.

One curio to listen out for: The vocal mix on 1959 is unique. Can you spot the difference? 8)
robm
Amphetamine Filth

7music don't have the collection in 24 bit (just 16 bit, unlike the FALAA collection). Is that standard for a new release or something to poke them about?
robertzombie
Overbomber

Not sure. HD Tracks has it in 24 bit.
Drsisters
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

robm wrote:7music don't have the collection in 24 bit (just 16 bit, unlike the FALAA collection). Is that standard for a new release or something to poke them about?
Seems like what country you are in :roll: :roll: 7 music Sweden is most retarded ^^ They only offers it in mp3 :roll: :roll:

Thx God for VPN :D
Andrew Eldritch Dour Festival 1997: Yeah, We take any request... As much as we ever do.
robm
Amphetamine Filth

I can't use HD tracks (after I discovered this their customer support was excellent so if you can use them I'd recommend them. :) )

I shall shop around...
robertzombie
Overbomber

BodyElectrified
Road Kill

robertzombie wrote:This is is easily the best digital version of Floodland. The EQ has been given quite an overhaul in comparison to the original CDs and Rhino's previous remaster. The top end has been rolled off to deal with some of the grainy harshness apparent on the original CD, and the bass is full and powerful without being too overbearing. You'll easily hear the difference in mastering by comparing Dominion on this 2015 edition against an original CD. The added resolution on offer here perhaps lends a bit more insight into the more complex musical passages, but it's slight. Flood I, 1959, and Flood II are the sonic highlights for me.

Dynamics are generally good. The remaster has an average dynamic range of 12 dB, with a minimum of 10 and a maximum of 15. Personally I would have liked a little less compression (Dominion and Lucretia are the worst offenders) as we know, thanks to the superb MFSL vinyl remaster, that these tracks don't need compression to sound big and powerful. Don't let those number put you off buying this though.

I'm not entirely pleased with the sound of the bonus tracks. They're mastered okay, with the 12" This Corrosion and Torch sounding particularly rich, but that top end roll-off that helps elsewhere on the remaster hinders the 12" versions of Dominion and Lucretia. The Dominion 12" version in particular sounds awfully flat and muffled. There's more space on the original CD singles. Thankfully Emma gets a good digital mastering, at last.

One curio to listen out for: The vocal mix on 1959 is unique. Can you spot the difference? 8)
Would you recommend I get the vinyl box set or stick with my 1st edition floodland and get the 1st edition singles?
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

WAITING FOR MINE....
2023: Los Ángeles,Las Vegas, Londonx2, Valencia Madrid, Lisbon, Porto, Bilbao
2024: Gent- Eindhoven - Lokeren - Madrid
flakk13
Amphetamine Filth

robertzombie wrote:One curio to listen out for: The vocal mix on 1959 is unique. Can you spot the difference? 8)
03:10 - "in fifty-nine..."
flakk13
Amphetamine Filth

Drsisters wrote:
robm wrote:7music don't have the collection in 24 bit (just 16 bit, unlike the FALAA collection). Is that standard for a new release or something to poke them about?
Seems like what country you are in :roll: :roll: 7 music Sweden is most retarded ^^ They only offers it in mp3 :roll: :roll:

Thx God for VPN :D
Living in Sweden, I ordered the 24-bit tracks from hdtracks.com. Discount code HDNOV20
robertzombie
Overbomber

BodyElectrified wrote:
robertzombie wrote:This is is easily the best digital version of Floodland. The EQ has been given quite an overhaul in comparison to the original CDs and Rhino's previous remaster. The top end has been rolled off to deal with some of the grainy harshness apparent on the original CD, and the bass is full and powerful without being too overbearing. You'll easily hear the difference in mastering by comparing Dominion on this 2015 edition against an original CD. The added resolution on offer here perhaps lends a bit more insight into the more complex musical passages, but it's slight. Flood I, 1959, and Flood II are the sonic highlights for me.

Would you recommend I get the vinyl box set or stick with my 1st edition floodland and get the 1st edition singles?
I haven't heard the box set yet.
shivarising
Amphetamine Filth

[quote="Being645"]I really wonder what could be remastered about Floodland ... the tracks sound so perfectly recorded to me ...
[quote]

Apples and oranges. I don't even want to get started but...

1 Recording
2 Mixing
3 Mastering

Totally different processes.
shivarising
Amphetamine Filth

robertzombie wrote:I like the sound of those "vinyl versions". Looks like my recent project might become unnecessary quicker than I anticipated!
Any chance of a re-up on that? I was a little late to the party...
robertzombie
Overbomber

shivarising wrote:
robertzombie wrote:I like the sound of those "vinyl versions". Looks like my recent project might become unnecessary quicker than I anticipated!
Any chance of a re-up on that? I was a little late to the party...
Sure thing. Unless you can work torrents? It's out there ;)
Being645
Wiki Wizard

shivarising wrote:
Being645 wrote:I really wonder what could be remastered about Floodland ... the tracks sound so perfectly recorded to me ...
Apples and oranges. I don't even want to get started but...

1 Recording
2 Mixing
3 Mastering

Totally different processes.
Yes, I guess you're right.
robertzombie
Overbomber

Finally the LP boxed set has arrived!
Being645
Wiki Wizard

robertzombie wrote:Finally the LP boxed set has arrived!
Cool. I'm looking forward to your expert judgement ... :D ...
xfloorshowx
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Arrived today, two copies of Lucretia 12", no Floodland :urff:
...I’ve never had the desire to make a record unless I have something to say...
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

Received today.....for my it sounds great!

@xfloorshowx what a bad luck.....
2023: Los Ángeles,Las Vegas, Londonx2, Valencia Madrid, Lisbon, Porto, Bilbao
2024: Gent- Eindhoven - Lokeren - Madrid
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

xfloorshowx wrote:Arrived today, two copies of Lucretia 12", no Floodland :urff:
Rare edition. Twenty years time a German will pay long hundreds for that. You got the golden ticket Charlie
Goths have feelings too
robertzombie
Overbomber

xfloorshowx wrote:Arrived today, two copies of Lucretia 12", no Floodland :urff:
Return it.
xfloorshowx

paint it black wrote:
Rare edition. Twenty years time a German will pay long hundreds for that. You got the golden ticket Charlie
:lol: ok, then give me an offer before I return it :wink:
...I’ve never had the desire to make a record unless I have something to say...
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Got it! 2 down, 1 to go :lol:
in dub we trust
Microcosmia

I was quoted the eye-watering sum of €110 in my nearest record store in Dublin to have the re-issued Floodland ordered in! The re-issued FALAA would be €80.

Luckily I found them online for €59 and €52 respectively. Still not cheap but a lot better than the first quotes.

Getting Floodland as a Christmas present, can't wait.