Education education education

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I know that a lot of you guys have met Kerry "mrs fiend " in the "real world". Friday was her official last day teaching, after nearly 20 years in the profession.

I know that every student she ever taught will be sad to hear it... but it's a decision that I completely support her in.

We expect far too much of our teachers. They show great dedication to helping young people in the face of increasing hostility from government, the public, and especially their own management.

Kerry's dad died when he was not much older than I am now; I think teaching killed him and it's not going to kill my Kerry.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Alex66
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I don't blame you, everyone I know who has been in teaching for a while finds it despondent with all the nonsense they have to go through. I would not become one now what with the way they are derided by the press, under valued and under paid for what should be seen as one of the most important jobs that anyone can do. My parents started teaching in the 1950's early 60's it was a totally different ball game then, they were shown the upmost respect and paid a lot lot better too.
The illiterate of the future will not be the man who cannot read the alphabet, but the one who cannot take a photograph. - Walter Benjamin
Driver powered by Cigarettes, Caffeine and Vitriol
rien
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Sad to hear that it's come to this, that someone in one of the greatest professions in the world has to leave to preserve their well-being.
I'm a fan of knowledge, and of good ways to pass it on.

Taylor Mali: What Teachers Make
(comic: http://zenpencils.com/comic/124-taylor- ... hers-make/)
“Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.�
Debaser
Overbomber

markfiend wrote: I think teaching killed him and it's not going to kill my Kerry.
Which is the same reason I resigned from teaching last Christmas - the previous two years had been hell and robbed me of both my career and my mind.
Five cups of coffee just to be myself...when I'd rather be somebody else
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

What will she do instead, are there options for private tutoring?
Goths have feelings too
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

She's going to live off the redundancy money for a bit.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

I don't know about educational system in UK, but I wish your wife all the best. And even if it sounds a bit cliche, change is always good.
She has to have great suport from you, and she has to have great courage to make such move. :notworthy:
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

My bestest love to Kerry, Mark.
And I totally agree. Not so many weeks ago I was having ECGs for angina symptoms. Doc said they were very real and identical to angina... But caused by stress and anxiety. 'Do you have a stressful job?' He asked. I told him, and we shared wry grins. His mum is a teacher.
(I am perfectly fine, all tests completely clean and I am gloriously healthy, apparently.)

So f**k the f**k off to people who think we have it easy.
I don't wanna live like I don't mind
iesus
Overbomber

Kerry has Mark next to her for support and that is a big plus. My best wishes for her next steps. She is strong enough for anything. Kerry was stronger than me at least i only did that kind of job for six months before i decide to choose something else. 20 years into this kind of job means a lot for those who know the conditions. :) :notworthy:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Congrats and kudos to Kerry (and Mark) .... :notworthy: :notworthy: ...

sometimes one has to take a decision as difficult as this one ...
and it's very, very good, if your friends show that, indeed, they are friends!

Best of luck from here for your new future ... :D :kiss: :notworthy: ...
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

only just read this. Kerry's lovely, as is Mark, so the best of luck for the future to them both. :kiss:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

Yes, it is that bad. I'm not the only one to be ill, most are a lot worse than me. I know teachers who have been told jot to both er making docs appts anymore, just to turn up and they'll be seen immediately.
The govt hates us. The media hates us. Money is cut, workload up, no payrises. We currently have no new format assessment guidelines as they haven't really decided yet, and it's now Christmas. Recruitment and retention crisis ongoing.
I don't wanna live like I don't mind
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Good luck to her, she's made the right call. 8)