'Alice' cover by 'Sonic Tech Support'.

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.

Are you a robot?

Poll ended at 04 Dec 2017, 04:21

YES
No votes
NO
33%
DOES NOT COMPUTE
67%

Total votes: 3
Alan Brookfield
Road Kill

Thought we'd do a Sisters cover. Alice was an obvious choice. Banged it on Soundcloud. Link is below if you're bored.

https://soundcloud.com/search/sounds?q= ... %20support
sultan2075
Overbomber

Vox. are... not good.

Music is not bad, but I think the mix is a bit muddy. There's potential, though. The problem is the guitars, the vocals, the bass, and most drums are all fighting over the same EQ space. Also the vocals are terrible - I'm sorry to offend, but I think they are really bad. I basically like the sound of the track (barring the mixing issues I've alluded to above), but the vocals really are not good at all.

So I would say two problems here, one easily fixed (EQ) and one less easily fixed (vox).
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Alan Brookfield
Road Kill

Yeah - The vocals are very much a work in progress. Know what you mean with the EQ on everything else as well. There'll be another version eventually that will sort all this out.
Pista
Cureboi

I'd more or less echo sultan's comments.
The vox aren't as bad as I initially thought they'd be, but the levels need a good old tweak, as it starts to become a sort of "fuzz soup".
Nice effort though :)
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Alan Brookfield
Road Kill

Yeah - You and Sultan are bob-on with your comments about the vocals and the mixing. We ain't mixed it yet as such to be fair. There'll be another version at some point. Vox-wise, we deliberately went for an over-the-top tinny distorted sound, which still needs more work. We now have a slightly mad french singer who likes to sound a bit different and won't keep his hands off the mixing desk. Vive la France!
Being645
Wiki Wizard

sultan2075 wrote:Vox. are... not good.

Music is not bad, but I think the mix is a bit muddy. There's potential, though. The problem is the guitars, the vocals, the bass, and most drums are all fighting over the same EQ space. Also the vocals are terrible - I'm sorry to offend, but I think they are really bad. I basically like the sound of the track (barring the mixing issues I've alluded to above), but the vocals really are not good at all.

So I would say two problems here, one easily fixed (EQ) and one less easily fixed (vox).
Fully agree. The beginning starts quite promising ... with each further instrument the mash worsens and the vocals - no.
Interpretation? Lesson failed ... :wink: ... Still there is potential, some sort of order and direction and capacity ... so all is not lost ...

Looking forward to the new version ... :D ... make your singer read a book ... or listen to Young Americans, just for study purposes, of course, not as an example! ... :lol: ...
million voices
Slight Overbomber

There was nothing that stood out to make you go WOW! Apart from the vocals and they stood out for the wrong reasons
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
Alan Brookfield
Road Kill

Being645 and Million Voices have added to some useful feedback. Keep it coming! - Must work on that Wow Factor:)
iesus
Overbomber

Vox needs tweak, i couldn't hear them
Bass line is lifeless, needs to re-record the bass line
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Alan Brookfield
Road Kill

I'll have a word with our bassist and tell him to get his act together!:) - Vox needs more middle on it maybe? - Cheers.
Alan Brookfield
Road Kill

'Wow Factor' - That's an interesting concept. We definitely want this in our cover. - Ideas so far:

- Violent punchy drums
- Thumping bass line
- EQ changes on all tracks
- More vocal echoes here and there
- 2nd guitar track for chords in the chorus (not recorded yet)
- Drastic equalisation and FX changes to vocals
- Not drunk whilst recording

Does anyone have any other input? - Ideas most welcome!
Pista
Cureboi

Alan Brookfield wrote: - Not drunk whilst recording
:lol: :notworthy:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Mother Russia
Road Kill

Successful cover versions rarely sound like the originals. If you want to sound like a 'goth' or even a 'Sisters' type band, choose a song from outside that era. The Sisters didn't cover stuff like that.....think 'Emma, Jolene, Knocking etc etc.
Perhaps the sound you make may be better appreciated if you cover a different song from a different era. You need to decide what 'popular' song could best fit your sound...just like earlier Sisters did.
Alan Brookfield
Road Kill

Thanks Mother Russia. - We will be doing some obscure stuff in the near future. We already have a few Big Black songs and others, but I see what you mean. - Personally I'd quite like a shot at Son Of A Preacher Man. - And goth it up a bit! We love 'Alice' though and it has to be covered! - Still working on the 'final' version. Spent a few more hours with our singer tonight and will get those vocals sorted out. Will post a vastly improved version before too long:) Cheers for the feedback!