Likelihood of new singles compilation/ new Some Girls?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Shadaloo
Road Kill

Hello all, got a Q. Apologies if it's come up, but didn't see a specific topic for it:

Anyone familiar with the status of the early singles, possession of masters and/or licensing wise?

As a kid of the 90's who grew up with CDs, I've had Some Girls for some years and became acquainted with the early discography that way, but it's only recently that I did some digging and have had it come to my attention that the audio quality thereon is...rather disappointing, compared to any old youtube upload.

So with the recent releases of FALAA and Floodland (and I'm presuming VT at some point soon), by Warner UK/Rhino...would a new issue of Some Girls or a new compilation even be feasible? Who's even got the recordings nowadays? Elektra? :von: himself? Are we doomed to scour for needledrops for a decent-quality digital listen?

Much obliged :D
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

have you heard this? you'll love it. :von:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
robertzombie
Overbomber

That reminds me! I've preserved Body Electric in 24/192 ;)
Shadaloo
Road Kill

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:have you heard this? you'll love it. :von:
Hopped on it, and it's a wonderful thing. :D Judging from this and youtube tags, I've got robertzombie to thank for a great deal. Those needledrops have replaced my own Some Girls in my library. :D
robertzombie
Overbomber

It's a shame that Youtube compresses the audio so much. The lossless transfers are even better!
robertzombie
Overbomber

The trick of course with a new compilation of this nature would be tracking down the master tapes. Needledrops are all well and good but they'll never match up to the masters, as we saw with the revelatory Body And Soul tracks on the recent Rhino remaster of F&L&A.

The old Body Electric tapes turn up on the CNT CD, They Shall Not Pass, but SGWBM is all needledrops as far as I can tell :(

The Heartland master tape appeared recently. Perhaps we can presume that the tapes are scattered, rather than held in one place :(
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

robertzombie wrote:
The Heartland master tape appeared recently. Perhaps we can presume that the tapes are scattered, rather than held in one place :(
unfortunately i think you're right: if the body elctric master was kept by CNT and the Heartland one by the recording studio then i would imagine the rest are similarly dispersed, yes. :(
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Shadaloo
Road Kill

Damn. I was afraid of something like this.

In any event, thanks for indulging my curiosity, guys. I hope they all eventually wind up in one place.