Chip and PIN

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

Sounds like a dodgy cartoon about two chipmunks, but I've just got a new card starting today and Morrisons have got it installed. Since I'm (sort of) in the grocery trade, I can't wait to have a go. Maybe I shouldn't post this? Oh, sod it. Don't get me started on RFID. I never believed in all that Blade Runner SciFi sh!t, but it's coming our way. Hey ho.
Go to sleep now, Francis.
Andy TG
Overbomber

Thrash Harry wrote:Sounds like a dodgy cartoon about two chipmunks, but I've just got a new card starting today and Morrisons have got it installed. Since I'm (sort of) in the grocery trade, I can't wait to have a go. Maybe I shouldn't post this? Oh, sod it. Don't get me started on RFID. I never believed in all that Blade Runner SciFi sh!t, but it's coming our way. Hey ho.
WTF are you talking about ?

And who is the more "P***ED"! ;-)
This Is Not Ordinary S & M
This Is M & S S & M
Gary
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

new credit cards have a chip... and instead of signing in shops.. you type in your pin..
technology...
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

I blame Oranjeboom £4.75 for four on a buy one get one free and I haven't had a proper drink or smoke since New Year's Eve. Yes. There goes two of my resolutions. Trying to hang on to the third! Anyway, if I recall, you're a Morisons man, haven't they got it installed down your way? Basically, it means you don't have to sign for your card any more at the checkout. You just stick it in a gizmo and enter your PIN like at the cashpoint. Supposed to counter signature fraud and speed up the payment process.

RFID stands for Radio Frequency Identification. You must have seen it on TV shows like <thinks hard> Tomorrows World (is that still going?). The idea is that every item will be tagged with a micro chip sort of device which emits a signal telling a receiver all sorts of stuff about it like what it is, where it is, how old it is, how much it cost etc. Enables product tracking during the shipping process, shelf life management, consumer basket price management and point of sale efficiency. Have I sold my Retail Consultant skills to you yet? Oh well, Nevermind.
Andy TG
Overbomber

Thrash Harry wrote:I blame Oranjeboom £4.75 for four on a buy one get one free and I haven't had a proper drink or smoke since New Year's Eve. Yes. There goes two of my resolutions. Trying to hang on to the third! Anyway, if I recall, you're a Morisons man, haven't they got it installed down your way? Basically, it means you don't have to sign for your card any more at the checkout. You just stick it in a gizmo and enter your PIN like at the cashpoint. Supposed to counter signature fraud and speed up the payment process.

RFID stands for Radio Frequency Identification. You must have seen it on TV shows like <thinks hard> Tomorrows World (is that still going?). The idea is that every item will be tagged with a micro chip sort of device which emits a signal telling a receiver all sorts of stuff about it like what it is, where it is, how old it is, how much it cost etc. Enables product tracking during the shipping process, shelf life management, consumer basket price management and point of sale efficiency. Have I sold my Retail Consultant skills to you yet? Oh well, Nevermind.
@ TH - I feel I "Too Drunk" to comprehend correctly what you have typed - clearly I am the more "drunk" - its "ALDI" fault ! - They sell their "version" of STELLA for £2.50 for 4 - and it "The Same Thing" :eek:
This Is Not Ordinary S & M
This Is M & S S & M
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Thrash Harry wrote:RFID stands for Radio Frequency Identification..
Aren't they already doing it Thrash. Seem to remember a big argument last year, soz they were sowing them into clothing :roll:
Goths have feelings too
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

AndyTheGoth wrote:clearly I am the more "drunk" - its "ALDI" fault ! - They sell their "version" of STELLA for £2.50 for 4 - and it "The Same Thing" :eek:
Aldi eh? Seen that next to PC World on the Leeds Outer Ring Road. Always looked too empty to venture into, and Burger King's Flame-Grilled Whopper won the day. May have to resist the call of the lard next time Mrs T drags me off to B & Q. Thanks for the tip.