Chilcot report out today

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

So, what do we think?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Initial reactions? "About bl@@dy time" and "what we long suspected".
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Yup. Takes 7 years to find out that the Pope is indeed a Catholic.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Anyway, here's the link to it for those who want to read it (or the executive summary, at least) ...

http://www.iraqinquiry.org.uk/the-report/
Pista
Cureboi

...in other news...water is wet.

Seven years for this.
& you know what the worst part is? Nothing will change at all.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Did anyone exppect that such reports, in such cases, are going to change a thing?
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

While it says what we all knew to be true, at least it's saying it, and saying it publicly and officially. That, surely, is a good thing.

Although how it manages to be two and a half million pages beggars belief.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

stufarq wrote:Although how it manages to be two and a half million pages beggars belief.
Yeah, but after 7 years it would be a bit naff to have handed the Speaker a post-it with the words, "Wow, we fucked up big-time," wouldn't it? I read as far as page 1,216,497, and last sentence just trails off - the remaining pages are just word-searches, doodles, and pictures of kittens*.

*shamelessly stolen from Bill Bailey's analysis of A Brief History of Time.
Hank Moody
Pista
Cureboi

Yeah, I think after seven years some people might have had a problem with a thirty minute keynote presentation.
It had better have pictures though!
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
EvilBastard
Overbomber

I suppose we ought to be grateful that he didn't put it on Powerpoint and then read.through.each.slide. There is a special circle of hell reserved for these people.
Hank Moody
Pista
Cureboi

EvilBastard wrote:I suppose we ought to be grateful that he didn't put it on Powerpoint and then read.through.each.slide. There is a special circle of hell reserved for these people.
:lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Turns out the news report I saw earlier got a bit over-excited. Two and a half million words, not pages. :roll:
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

nothing we didn't know already, but as Stu says the fact that the truth is now official is something; especially for the families of the servicemen and women killed or injured in iraq. at least it didnt take as long as the hillsborough report. calls for blair to face charges for war-crimes will of course come to nothing but he did squirm quite nicely for 2 hours in his speech regarding the findings. you aint going to get much more than that i'm afraid.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I had half expected a whitewash, so there is that
—Bertrand Russell
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Bartek wrote:Did anyone exppect that such reports, in such cases, are going to change a thing?
Not yet, apparently, as currently mainly African perpetrators are really held responsible for their acts and orders.

But further determined support of the ICC might change that one day, so that leaders worldwide think twice before starting any military action.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

@Being645:

And let not forget that victirous one never paid a price. I would like to see that politicians doing such things, starting wars that caused such terrrible consequences not only to soldiers and their families, relatives and close to them, but for society; i mean, afterall Iraq started what we now see as Daesh, in Paris, Brussels and so, it's all have source there. Of course not that Saddam Hussey (intended!) was nice guy, but for fuck sacke, World tolerates/tolerated and will be tolerate many other countries rulled in almost the same way. It's just a matter of economy and business.

Tis all reminds my a bit of Polanski's "Ghost writer".
Silver_Owl
The Don

This
War
Is
Wrong

:von:
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

saddam did a damned sight better job of maintaining order than anyone since, and probably killed or caused killed less people. regime change (by outside agencies) is not the way for these situations to be sorted.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

That's true, US of A foreign policy was (is?) based of phantasmagoria or parallax that if you thrown dictators and install pro-western puppets everyging will sort out. Same was in Libya, Egypt and Syria. That's just fine way to start culture war on grand scale.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

On which note: hands up to invade Syria.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Now they "learned" their lesson. Besides, now so~called ISIS is a problem, not Syria.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Bartek wrote:That's true, US of A foreign policy was (is?) based of phantasmagoria or parallax that if you thrown dictators and install pro-western puppets everyging will sort out. Same was in Libya, Egypt and Syria. That's just fine way to start culture war on grand scale.
See also: The Shah in Iran, Pinochet in Chile, the Contras in Nicaragua, just to name three off the top of my head
—Bertrand Russell
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Yes, I'm aware of that, not just Nicaragua, but Central America as whole.
But i was reffering to something more recent. :wink: