Brexit?

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
eotunun
Overbomber

When I heard BoJo got his bollocks goldened with that new job for f***ing up Britain, I did the Tom Hanks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdYPxFMhEkE
"These are my principles! And if you don't like the just says so, I have others, too!"
~Rufus T. Firefly
Alex66
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

robertzombie wrote:BoJo as foreign secretary ?! :lol:
well Coco the Clown is not an MP so we have to have Bojo the Clown and become an international laughing stock.
The illiterate of the future will not be the man who cannot read the alphabet, but the one who cannot take a photograph. - Walter Benjamin
Driver powered by Cigarettes, Caffeine and Vitriol
deadagain
Banned

Alex66 wrote:
well Coco the Clown is not an MP so we have to have Bojo the Clown and become an international laughing stock.
yup. I'm laughing too, hysterically. it's the only way to cope with the insanity.
Is this the place I used to know as Fatherland?
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

At least Larry will keep his job. Larry, probably the only one honest creature living at Downing Street 10.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Actually quite worrying he has to be our senior diplomat and negotiator. It's like putting Tim Nice-But-Dim into the body of Chris Griffin and sending him to trade with the Germans and negotiate peace talks in Syria.

And, for God's sake, he'll be in charge of GCHQ and MI6! Johnny English reborn indeed.
Bartek wrote:At least Larry will keep his job. Larry, probably the only one honest creature living at Downing Street 10.
Larry's being investigated for involvement in the Whiskerpedia leaks scandal.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
Pista
Cureboi

stufarq wrote:
Bartek wrote:At least Larry will keep his job. Larry, probably the only one honest creature living at Downing Street 10.
Larry's being investigated for involvement in the Whiskerpedia leaks scandal.
:lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Comparisons with Tim Nice-But-Dim are not appropriate; Boris is neither nice nor dim. He's a hardline rightwinger and quite frighteningly intelligent. The bumbling buffoon act is precisely that - an act. He relies on people underestimating him.

I do think his appointment is a bit of clever politicking by Ms May actually, together with putting Davis in as "Secretary of State for Exiting the EU", saying to the Tory Brexit campaigners in effect "you created this mess, you sort it out".
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
EvilBastard
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:Comparisons with Tim Nice-But-Dim are not appropriate; Boris is neither nice nor dim. He's a hardline rightwinger and quite frighteningly intelligent. The bumbling buffoon act is precisely that - an act. He relies on people underestimating him.

I do think his appointment is a bit of clever politicking by Ms May actually, together with putting Davis in as "Secretary of State for Exiting the EU", saying to the Tory Brexit campaigners in effect "you created this mess, you sort it out".
I think I've worked out her plan: put Wurzel in charge, he'll alienate everyone he hasn't already, we'll start negotiating trade deals and they'll be along the lines of "Sure, you can export to us without tariff barriers, but with every shipment you'll need to include a video of Boris Johnson shoving a lighted Catherine Wheel up his arse, with a picture of that day's newspaper so we know it's current." At which point May will say "Look, it's clear that we can't negotiate new deals, which basically means we have to stay in the EU. Let's not be hasty, we'll work within the Union to improve the things that people are worried about, and make real efforts to heal some of the divisions that Britain has that are nothing to do with Europe."
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

markfiend wrote:Comparisons with Tim Nice-But-Dim are not appropriate; Boris is neither nice nor dim. He's a hardline rightwinger and quite frighteningly intelligent. The bumbling buffoon act is precisely that - an act. He relies on people underestimating him.
I know. I just couldn't think of anyone better. My point was he's perceived as a total shambles, and that's not a great image to send to the international community, as evidenced by US State Dept spokesman Mark Toner suppressing a laugh when he heard during a press conference. And he's not exactly popular among European politicians. He won't help international relations.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Ah right I see what you're getting at stu yeah I agree.

Also I think you might be onto something there Evil.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

stufarq wrote:
I know. I just couldn't think of anyone better. My point was he's perceived as a total shambles, and that's not a great image to send to the international community, as evidenced by US State Dept spokesman Mark Toner suppressing a laugh when he heard during a press conference. And he's not exactly popular among European politicians. He won't help international relations.
So, he'll be the one who shatter what's left from UK-EU diplomatic relations; then anyone after him could negotiatate pretty much anything. So, what Mr. Bastard wrote seems possible.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Possibly. Andrew Marr reckons the foreign Office doesn't do as much as it used to because Downing Street has taken over so many of its functions. On top of that, May has appointed Cabinet Ministers for foreign trade and leaving Europe, so Boris won't have much of significance to do. Marr thinks Boris will therefore spend his time on foreign jaunts, ie out of the way, not doing much of significance, rather than being at home scheming.

While I can see his logic, I still think it's a pretty dangerous strategy. During those foreign jaunts Boris will still spend most of his time damaging international relations. If she didn't give him a job at all, being at home scheming wouldn't have much of an effect because he'd have no power or influence. If you don't want Boris to be dangerous, don't give him anything to do!
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

That's interesting. Let Boris rides his bike. Curbs can be very dangerous.
Pista
Cureboi

Did Theresa take the whole of her new cabinet to meet the queen?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

"Keep your friends close... but your enemies closer"
—Bertrand Russell
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

i think boris' inclusion is because (frighteningly) he's a very popular politician. despite everything we may think/ know/ expect from him he was very hotly tipped as the next tory leader and after cameron's resignation the front-runner for prime minister. we're none of us conservatives anyway, but among those who are he is considered acceptable. he was a popular mayor of london -no less so than ken livingstone anyway- and as has been said by others, the shambling buffoon act is exactly that. (albeit a very good act.) presumably that means he has skills to offer a government.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Pista
Cureboi

From the news thread
abridged wrote:Well we're still EU citizens and England isn't! But we're exiting the EU the same as the rest of the UK. Except we're not because Scotland, England or Wales can't continue to be EU citizens. And we're still in the Single Market except we're not. Except when we are. I give it a couple of years before it all goes to hell... :urff:
It's all a bit clusterfcuky isn't it?
& as for the Maybot having to bend over backwards for the DUP, well that's not coming across as "strong & stable".
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
hellboy69
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Just read the Tories are ahead in the polls by 1% due to the Brexit "announcements" ?!??!???

I just signed this, FWIW:
https://action.labour.org.uk/page/s/childrens-campaign
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

The Tories negotiating strategy seems to me very like this:

http://youtu.be/Z_JOGmXpe5I

(content warning: "N"-word)
—Bertrand Russell
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

All I want for Brexit is EU
Last Brexit I gave you my bus
We wish you a Merry Brexit

etc etc etc
I don't wanna live like I don't mind
Pista
Cureboi

markfiend wrote:
Norfolk?
:innocent:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

yes?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Pista wrote:
markfiend wrote:
Norfolk?
:innocent:
:sadtrombone:
—Bertrand Russell
abridged
Slight Overbomber

It's quite mad (well even more than usual) over here. Most people here voted to stay, which presumably included quite a few DUP supporters but only the DUP are being listened to. Obviously Teresa May has either bought them off, lied to them or she as David Davis suggested believes that the whole agreement thing doesn't mean anything anyway. Meanwhile the Irish government and the EU are saying yes, yes it does. The whole thing will fall apart I reckon really quickly...
The Chancer Corporation
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

the govt got defeated by their own MPs. i am doing a lot of laughing