Tech help req Optical to analogue sound

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Hello all,recently I had to replace my old Toshiba tv with a new Panasonic Viera. It isn't great and the sound is really poor. However I did have a soundbar through the old tv. The new tv doesn't have analogue output (red and white conectors) only optical,so I bought an adaptor,optical to analogue and it worked fine. For one day. Yesterday it stopped working. So in the sound menu I turned the output of the TV to AVL. This fixed it. For one day. Now nothing works. Is this an issue with turning the tv off? The soundbar is working,it connects to my phone via bluetooth with no problem.
I have tried turning both the tv and soundbar off at the power to no avail.
Can anyone help?
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Pista
Cureboi

Might be remote control conflicts.
Try to set the TV to "hotel mode". That should mute the speakers totally & not allow other remotes to bugger up the volume. audio out settings.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Alex66
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Daft question but does the TV have a headphone out? You can just get a cable that would connect to the sound bar. It might be worth checking what the TV is out putting to the DA possibly in the settings menu it should give a list of options of digital out stream you want to make sure it stays on what ever the 2 channel is. I can't remember the names of them off hand sorry.
The illiterate of the future will not be the man who cannot read the alphabet, but the one who cannot take a photograph. - Walter Benjamin
Driver powered by Cigarettes, Caffeine and Vitriol
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Reading some of the docs, it looks like the Viera has done away with a Headphone Out on the new models (post-2009), requiring instead that the user plugs into an external receiver through which the signal is routed.

Looks like Pista's HotelMode suggestion is The Way To Go - I rigged my TV's optical-out to an amp, thence to speakers, so I don't have the same issues you're experiencing.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Had a friend around yesterday to look at it,and the problem seems to be how the connector is powered. It runs off a USB plugged into the back of the TV,a separate connection to optical out. Unplugging then reconnecting the usb while the TV is turned on seems to reset it,and the soundbar then works fine. Unfortunately once you turn the TV off you have to repeat the process every time. Hardly ideal but at least it works.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Alex66
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Could you use a phone charger type thing to constantly power it?
The illiterate of the future will not be the man who cannot read the alphabet, but the one who cannot take a photograph. - Walter Benjamin
Driver powered by Cigarettes, Caffeine and Vitriol