F&L&A without Eldritch?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Pista
Cureboi

panzerfaust wrote:yep. the current band is a bloody joke. if they only were comical..
For you perhaps.
Not for quite a lot of others.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

panzerfaust wrote:yep. the current band is a bloody joke. if they only were comical..
This is your thought and it´s respectable, the only reply that I can tell you is: If my thoughts were the same as yours, I would´t spend my time here...
2023: Los Ángeles,Las Vegas, Londonx2, Valencia Madrid, Lisbon, Porto, Bilbao
2024: Gent- Eindhoven - Lokeren - Madrid
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Figure this discussion could go down the wrong road... As with any kind of art it's all subjective. And nowt reason to fall out over. Live and let etc. :innocent:
The Chancer Corporation
Alex66
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

If Wayne doing a series of shows with others makes him happy and those going happy why not. I would go if Von was singing but unless either Dio rose up and came in on vocals would stay at home. I like the way Von has allowed the songs to change according to who he is playing with though.
The illiterate of the future will not be the man who cannot read the alphabet, but the one who cannot take a photograph. - Walter Benjamin
Driver powered by Cigarettes, Caffeine and Vitriol
EmmaPeelWannaBe
Slight Overbomber

I had a fantastic time at the gigs last October, so much so, that I'm coming back for more in November. Actually enjoyed them more than when i last saw them, in the late 90s. Von didn't seem to be having as much fun.

If some here think I'm misguided, that's their problem. But it doesn't diminish my utterly bastard groovy experience.
My life is one long week of stupid clothing benders.
SmileySister
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I thought they were fantastic in Barcelona and Madrid and I enjoy this line up as much as I enjoyed seeing the 1984 line up. Andrew seems much more relaxed now than he was back then :von:
Microcosmia

EmmaPeelWannaBe wrote:I had a fantastic time at the gigs last October, so much so, that I'm coming back for more in November. Actually enjoyed them more than when i last saw them, in the late 90s. Von didn't seem to be having as much fun.

If some here think I'm misguided, that's their problem. But it doesn't diminish my utterly bastard groovy experience.
I for one don't think you're misguided, and what you say about the recent gigs is very reassuring indeed.
EmmaPeelWannaBe
Slight Overbomber

Microcosmia wrote:
EmmaPeelWannaBe wrote:I had a fantastic time at the gigs last October, so much so, that I'm coming back for more in November. Actually enjoyed them more than when i last saw them, in the late 90s. Von didn't seem to be having as much fun.

I for one don't think you're misguided, and what you say about the recent gigs is very reassuring indeed.
I was buzzing for months afterwards!
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

The weird sisters, hand in hand, posters of heartland
Goths have feelings too
Microcosmia

paint it black wrote:The weird sisters, hand in hand, posters of heartland
Lol. hardly. I'm disappointingly normal :)
SmileySister
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

paint it black wrote:The weird sisters, hand in hand, posters of heartland
Oh, I do hope I'm included in that - it makes me sound far more interesting than I actually am :urff: :lol:
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Smiley sister

Thrice spiggy's cat hath mew'd.

Emma Peel sister

Thrice and once the hedge-pig Wayne whined.

Microcosmia sister

Happier cries 'Tis time, 'tis time. To tour
Goths have feelings too
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Just a thought but if AE did want to perform the F&L%A songs against a 12-string electric, I'm sure that Chris and/or Ben would be happy to oblige
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

I'd bet Ben's got a 12-string.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
tooyoung
Road Kill

There have been a lot of reunions that I never thought would happen lately: Guns N Roses and The Misfits being key examples. While Andrew has expressed no interest in a reunion, the above bands have been in flat out war for decades. While Guns N Roses might be an understandable cash grab, never in a million years would I have thought Danzig would play a Misfits set.

As for Wayne and Craig playing FALAA songs with a singer like Billy Corgan - I'd be interested. I'm not a fan of Billy - I've never been into anything his bands have done. I don't listen to any of Wayne's work outside of the Sisters. But, FALAA is an album that means a lot to me, and I would definitely check out any established musicians doing a cover of it. I imagine there are a decent number of Billy fans that might get turned on to FALAA, and that seems cool.
Mary Bell, we knew you well...
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

Romeo Down 2.0 done by Hussey. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6yjcK0lqWs
guns & cars & accidents
Being645
Wiki Wizard

dinky daisy wrote:Romeo Down 2.0 done by Hussey. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6yjcK0lqWs
... and the angels are weeping again ... :lol: :lol: ... that's so ridiculous that it goes even beyond vomit ... :lol: :lol: ...

But hell, I don't want to hurt anybody's sentiments ... :eek: ... enjoy, whoever might please ... ;D ...
Microcosmia

paint it black wrote:Smiley sister

Thrice spiggy's cat hath mew'd.

Emma Peel sister

Thrice and once the hedge-pig Wayne whined.

Microcosmia sister

Happier cries 'Tis time, 'tis time. To tour

Round about the final Floorshow go,
In the Poison Door entrails throw
animal glands, that under low damp stone
Nine While Nine's had thirty one.
Reptile house venom and sleeping goth
boil thou first in the charmed pot.
Double, double, Blood Money and trouble,
fire Burn and cauldron bubble.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Not wishing to stir the (witches'?) pot further unnecessarily, but I feel that I should point out that what Wayne is proposing - i.e., him and Craig performing songs from FALAA with a different singer - is actually Von's idea.

He admitted much in 1988 in Q to Paul DuNoyer :

“I told them they’d have to get a new singer because I wasn’t prepared to go on doing it that way. And so, discreetly, abroad everybody had a go at singing, and decided that they weren’t very good..�

This was in fact just repeating what he had said to Daniela of the Italian fanzine Tribal Cabaret in an interview in Rome as long ago as.....December 84!!

“I think that after the world tour that will follow the release of the album I’ll leave the group ... I'm going to stay just as a manager ... I can’t be both the manager and the singer ... I have no time for myself and the things I’d rather do, such as learning how to play the guitar.�

He then went on to say - and remember, this was seven months before the Royal Albert Hall gig : “I’ve already contacted Patricia Morrison and Alan Vega to form a supergroup before the end of the year.�

Reading that interview for the first time (30 years after the events of 1985) forced me to totally revise my long-held view of the subsequent split, and made me realise that casting WH in the role of pantomime villain in the subsequent Sisterhood saga was at best a massive over-simplification, and most likely a total reversal of reality.

Wayne has toured old albums of his subsequent band in the past, and clearly FALAA is now on the agenda. Effectively, by doing so with a different singer, this will be merely be showing what would probably have happened in 1986 had the individuals concerned stayed on better terms and had AE's exhaustion persisted.

The most ironic thing is that WH's words in last Friday's Louder Than War website interview about the Corgan sessions : It was really great just to be the guitarist again and not have to worry about singing! are not dissimilar to Von's words in that 1984 interview. They have more in common than they would care to admit.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

a few thoughts:
a) FALAA without eldritch could be many things......but it couldnt be the sisters; and therefore (like my fantasy football teams acheivements this season) almost completely pointless and not worth the good people of hl's consideration.

as for " yeah it sounded great and i was dead chuffed to be just the guitarist again" is 30 years to late. to have been the sisters guitarist should have been honour and privilege enough for him then. it may be "better to rein in hell than serve in heaven", but lucifer didnt have a choice .

eldritch doesnt even let Jezz in to gigs for free, so a reunion is unlikely. eldritch has no need for a bass player. indeed he has no need for guitrists. professor pearman doesnt do live anymore, he doesnt really do marx anymore, and he wont work with or for eldritch on eldritch's terms and dictates. eldritch only works with other people under his terms and dictates.

and finally: you can all bitch and moan about the current state of affairs, but true sisters fans wouldn't bat an eyelid if eldritch came on stage in a gold dressing gown, with no musicians and the doktors on a fag break, told you how good the drugs he'd just taken were started singing bland unremarkable middle-american radio hits a'capella. again. like in the good ol' days. :twisted: :von:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Mav787
One life, all I need

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: finally: you can all bitch and moan about the current state of affairs, but true sisters fans wouldn't bat an eyelid if eldritch came on stage in a gold dressing gown, with no musicians and the doktors on a fag break, told you how good the drugs he'd just taken were started singing bland unremarkable middle-american radio hits a'capella. again. like in the good ol' days. :twisted: :von:
And that's why Andrew doesn't try very hard to vary the performances.

There are probably 30 different songs they could easily play live but night after night it's the same set list with maybe 1 change. The 2 nights in Brussels this year showed it can be done but he just can't be arsed. Yet we keep buying tickets.

In the end if Sisters fans have no interest in That Guitarist what does it matter what he does? Just ignore him. Pretend he doesn't exist.

If people want to discuss performances of FALAA move the thread to the General Forum and don't contribute to it.
Pat
Slight Overbomber

I'm surprised so many people on here are so -ve about this. FALAA is my period of The Sisters. I'm delighted the idea is even a possibility. 2 or more members who played on the album actually playing it live as it was - I'm there.

As for the fear of it breaking up the current version of the Sisters there are precedents. Status Quo did one tour with the original line up recently and then went back to current line up and Ozzy does his Black Sabbath stint and goes back to his solo work, sometimes on the same bill.
Last edited by Pat on 09 Oct 2016, 12:56, edited 1 time in total.
Robson
Amphetamine Filth

Being645 wrote:
dinky daisy wrote:Romeo Down 2.0 done by Hussey. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6yjcK0lqWs
... and the angels are weeping again ... :lol: :lol: ... that's so ridiculous that it goes even beyond vomit ... :lol: :lol: ...

But hell, I don't want to hurt anybody's sentiments ... :eek: ... enjoy, whoever might please ... ;D ...
seems he will never get over it
a) midlife crisis
b) probably alzheimer
- since 1992 -
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:to have been the sisters guitarist should have been honour and privilege enough for him then. it may be "better to rein in hell than serve in heaven", but lucifer didnt have a choice .
Seriously? It's just a band, and as someone recently said, not sacrosanct.
eastmidswhizzkid wrote:true sisters fans wouldn't bat an eyelid if eldritch came on stage in a gold dressing gown, with no musicians and the doktors on a fag break, told you how good the drugs he'd just taken were started singing bland unremarkable middle-american radio hits a'capella. again. like in the good ol' days. :twisted: :von:
I'm hoping the emoticon mean this is just a joke, cos "true fan" elitism is deeply unpleasant.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

stufarq wrote:
eastmidswhizzkid wrote:to have been the sisters guitarist should have been honour and privilege enough for him then. it may be "better to rein in hell than serve in heaven", but lucifer didnt have a choice .
Seriously? It's just a band, and as someone recently said, not sacrosanct.
"it's just a band" is like saying "it's only football" or -like milton's analogy- "it's only a story". all are subjective and each holds relevance rrelative to it's revenants.
stufarq wrote:
eastmidswhizzkid wrote:true sisters fans wouldn't bat an eyelid if eldritch came on stage in a gold dressing gown, with no musicians and the doktors on a fag break, told you how good the drugs he'd just taken were started singing bland unremarkable middle-american radio hits a'capella. again. like in the good ol' days. :twisted: :von:
I'm hoping the emoticon mean this is just a joke, cos "true fan" elitism is deeply unpleasant.
the joke means this is just a joke: demon-icon is me laughing at said joke and the emoti-von is eldo being serious about the whole rock n roll joke whilst inwardly laughing at how seriously he's taken....in the world of the sisters this is a sign for those who dont know its a joke that is a sisters joke and therefore serious business. but funny. like "the whole world in his hands" at reading (exceptionally cool and funny, aimed totally at the sisters fans yet not elitist) the NEC/ kimono/acapp-eldo thing most definitely happened. we loved it and went on to buy into the next serving. (ostensibly a GOLD DRESSING GOWN- all gold without a noticeable trace of any other material metal or hue yet probably more irony than gold and even more probably just gonzoid amphetamine filth aimed solely at us lot again without any elitism.
IMO not playing TOL back in t' day was as arrogant as f**k; so what if they couldnt play it? never stopped them with anything else! not so popular a joke at the time actually, yet to say so now would be to shake the foundations of the truly unpleasant elitists who think "their" version of the sisters is somehow more important than any one else's. true fans know that as long as the band lives, it aint dead. that is the way of things, affecting us all equally, regardless of perceived hierarchies.
of course as fans of the greatest band ever (subjective) we could be in danger of assuming an elitism over fans of other "just a bands"....but only in as humorous a way as the serious business of rock n roll demands. :evil: :von: :roll: :kiss:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat: