A plea to our US contingent

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

What I fail to understand,as an Englishman who's seen a lot of rubbish politics over the last 49 years,is why,If Obama was so good for eight years did FIFTY FIVE MILLION people vote for a twit like Trump? It's all very well everyone pushing the "Oh Jeezum Crow the whole world is f**ked" button now but it strikes me that those 55 million probably thought it was already pretty f**ked.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Pista
Cureboi

Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
iesus
Overbomber

Who is John Lewis? :?
Sorry for my ignorance :roll:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Pista
Cureboi

iesus wrote:Who is John Lewis? :?
Sorry for my ignorance :roll:
It's a department store :)
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

Pista wrote:Apparently, John Lewis summed up the whole thing in 2 minutes
Those ads had me in tears...which I guess is pretty indicative of my current mental state! :evil:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
EmmaPeelWannaBe
Slight Overbomber

I'm watching that and an endless stream of cat and baby goat videos.
My life is one long week of stupid clothing benders.
Microcosmia
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

EmmaPeelWannaBe wrote:I'm watching that and an endless stream of cat and baby goat videos.
Then you might like photo No.3 on this link, the Irish version of the John Lewis ad

http://www.dailyedge.ie/jokes-about-the ... book_short
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

EmmaPeelWannaBe wrote:I'm watching that and an endless stream of cat and baby goat videos.
mmmmm cat and baby goat- makes a change from fucking turkey. :twisted:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
eotunun
Overbomber

"These are my principles! And if you don't like the just says so, I have others, too!"
~Rufus T. Firefly
Microcosmia
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

adarkadaptedi wrote:
Pista wrote:Apparently, John Lewis summed up the whole thing in 2 minutes
Those ads had me in tears...which I guess is pretty indicative of my current mental state! :evil:
Then you might like Kevin the carrot as well https://youtu.be/aCZrWFrRgbQ
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

adarkadaptedi wrote:Mark - NO. Please keep your hard-earned cash; I won't accept it.
To be fair I was volunteering everyone else too ;D

Anyhoo. Back to the sane political discussion.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

markfiend wrote:Day 1 of Trump's America

:cry:
It's always been like this over here, though, simmering under the surface–except now, these bottom-feeders have been given permission. I'm really glad that I live where I do, because my neighbors would probably crucify anyone who behaved like that. I only hope that they don't think that DH and I voted for the orange menace!

Scrolling down on that page: looks like I'll be covering everything I own with safety pins... :wink:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
EvilBastard
Overbomber

I'm going to step out of the closet here. I would be the last person to defend Trump against anything - shit, if you told me that he'd burned the Reichstag I'd probably be out there calling for his arrest.

But...do you think we can stop blaming him for people being a$$holes? They were a$$holes on Monday, they were a$$holes before Trump decided to run, they were a$$holes 8 years ago when Obama was elected. Some people, well, they're just a$$holes.

Now, I'd agree that they probably think that Trump's election gives them carte blanche to be a$$holes. But the rule of law still stands - hate speech is still a crime, assault is still illegal. Some people are a$$holes, and there are legal remedies. The police will start arrest people for doing it (as vociferously or not as they did before), the courts will still sentence people for doing it.

Passions are running high, and tempers are frayed - we've just come out of the most divisive 18-month election campaign I can remember, where both sides have been intent on driving wedges between social and ethnic groups. On the one hand we've got "grab 'em by the pu$$y, build a wall," and on the other we've got "baskets of deplorables". I'm not at all surprised that violence and conflict has been stirred up and is starting to escalate. But this is no different from the situation before the election. People being a$$holes is no more Trump's fault (although I wish it was) than it is Hillary's - these divisions have been festering for years. Trump's election has merely popped the zit. If he doesn't do something to heal the rifts, well in 4 years you can kick him out. But I'd rather have it out in the open than swept under the rug. We've spent the last 8 years persuading ourselves that, despite all evidence to the contrary, the US is a "post-racial" society. It isn't.

I don't condone violence, bigotry, racism, or hatred - not by anyone. But let's put the blame where it belongs - on the a$$holes.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Yeah I guess you're right, a$$holes just gonna a$$.
—Bertrand Russell
EvilBastard
Overbomber

And lest we forget, there are a$$holes on both sides of the rift. The people in Portland, for example, whose belief in democracy is so unshakeable that they think that assaulting the police and smashing shop windows is the way to demonstrate that they don't like what happens when democracy is practiced. Where were these a$$holes on Tuesday, or last week, last month, last year? Were they expending their energy on getting the vote out, campaigning for politicians who might actually be offering something other than "the foreigners are to blame" or "I'm not him"? Doubtful. Odds are that they were thinking, "We can sit around in our white privilege in the sure and certain knowledge that there's no way she can lose. We don't have to do anything. After all, we don't have to do anything for democracy to work - no, it simply happens magically."

If nothing else this whole mess is a wake-up call - you want to have all the benefits of living in a democracy, you'd better be prepared to put on your boots and make democracy work. Rights and duties, kids - you want the one you'd better face up to the other.
Hank Moody
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

the KKK are holding a rally to celebrate Trump's victory.
how can you not want to cry at that?
I don't wanna live like I don't mind
nowayjose
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

The EU has finally stopped TTIP talks... so far, Trump has been good for us.
Squeakymouse
Road Kill
Location: The place in the side of our lives where nothing is ever put straight

Looks like the orange eejit is now thinking of keeping some parts of Obamacare including the provision for people with pre-existing conditions http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 12621.html
sultan2075
Overbomber

ribbons69 wrote:What I fail to understand,as an Englishman who's seen a lot of rubbish politics over the last 49 years,is why,If Obama was so good for eight years did FIFTY FIVE MILLION people vote for a twit like Trump? It's all very well everyone pushing the "Oh Jeezum Crow the whole world is f**ked" button now but it strikes me that those 55 million probably thought it was already pretty f**ked.
Trump told the voters that he would do two things, and for vast swathes of America, this was all that was needed, because vast swathes of America have been ignored by both Republicans and Democrats for decades:

1. Bring back blue-collar manufacturing jobs
2. Bring back American troops from useless overseas adventures.

That's how he was able to peel off voters from HRC (see the map below of counties that voted for Trump which had previously voted for Obama): https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... -counties/
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
eotunun
Overbomber

"These are my principles! And if you don't like the just says so, I have others, too!"
~Rufus T. Firefly
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

nowayjose wrote:The EU has finally stopped TTIP talks... so far, Trump has been good for us.
Lucky you. Just as the cockwombles on these forsaken islands have voted us out of the EU....
—Bertrand Russell
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Steve Bannon. Bloody hell.
—Bertrand Russell
EvilBastard
Overbomber

markfiend wrote:Steve Bannon. Bloody hell.
's good, innit? Apparently Cap'n Tango has also requested security clearance for son-in-law Jared Kushner so that he can attend security briefings, presumably so that he can get a heads up if someone's about to bomb one of pa-in-law's hotels. What a knob.
Hank Moody
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I think that sultan2075 might want to rethink "I don't think he's a racist" after Trump has appointed a literal white-supremacist.

Also, appointing a climate-change denier (Myron Ebell) to head up the EPA sends some deeply troubling messages.

And quite frankly I'm astonished that anyone thinks that the US's foreign adventures are likely to be reined in by Trump.
—Bertrand Russell