A plea to our US contingent

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote: And quite frankly I'm astonished that anyone thinks that the US's foreign adventures are likely to be reined in by Trump.
More so than under HRC I think, yes. She did her best to persuade Obama to choose a military solution in Syria.
But, hard to say for sure until 2020 (or earlier..)

At least it's the first president I hear who is even questioning exactly where the US military support goes, this is from today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDEV3vo9TbY

I disagree strongly with him on environment and wouldn't build a program on alienating a close neighbour country and I could go on a lot, but he does sound as if he is truly against random military intervention.

The Iraq war was set out to "liberate" the people and install democracy, yet turned into total slaughter, chaos and disaster.
sultan2075
Overbomber

Honesty, Mark, I don't have a dog in this fight. Both options were awful.

My fervent hope is that the combination of a vitriolic media, an angry Democratic Party, and a less-than-pleased Republican Party will lead to a) a rediscovery of checks and balances and b) a re-assertion of legislative power over and against the executive. If we can Make the Constitution Great Again, I'll be happy. If we stop invading various barbarian nations abroad and return to the rule of law at home, I'll be ecstatic.

The horrible thing is that we have a better (still slim) chance of this with Trump than we had with Hillary.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Sorry my friend, I guess I just want someone to shout at. :lol:

Edit to add: :lol: it looks like Randall Munroe is reading my mind:
sultan2075
Overbomber

No worries, it's cool :von:

Also a natural reaction to this mixed up, muddled up, shook up world.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.