November 22: Birmingham O2 Institute, UK

Gig news, reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on The Sisters live in 2016
Pista
Cureboi

You know the drill.
Tickets on sale Sept 16th, info, roll-call etc :)

From The Sisters on twitter
Sisters at @O2InstituteBham TONIGHT. Doors 7pm. @membranes1 at 8pm. Sisters at 9pm. A handful of tickets left on the door.
Mainset:
More
Ribbons
Doctor Jeep / Detonation Boulevard
Amphetamine Logic
Body Electric
Crash And Burn
Alice
Marian
No Time To Cry
Arms
Dominion / Mother Russia
Summer
Jihad
Valentine
Flood II

First Encore
Something Fast
Lucretia, My Reflection
Vision Thing

Second Encore
First And Last And Always
Temple Of Love
This Corrosion
Last edited by Pista on 23 Nov 2016, 11:01, edited 3 times in total.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Silver_Owl
The Don

It's been a long time since the last Birmingham gig. :P
Nice.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
SmileySister
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Me :D
EmmaPeelWannaBe
Slight Overbomber

Yessssss and an opportunity to wallow in Pre-Raphaelites
My life is one long week of stupid clothing benders.
Durly
Road Kill

I shall be there. Will be dead easy to spot. I'm the slightly greying, balding, middle-aged fella dressed in black.
SmileySister

I've got a friend who needs to sell a ticket. Let me know if you're interested
oneiros
Road Kill

I'll be there...

Didn't buy my ticket particularly promptly, but still got #30; hopefully there'll be a few more than that there.
<HTML & Methedrine>
SmileySister

SmileySister wrote:I've got a friend who needs to sell a ticket. Let me know if you're interested
Now sold
tower
Road Kill

Of course i'll be there.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

y'all have fun now. :von:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Being645
Above the Chemist

Have fun everybody tonight ... ;D ;D ;D ... I'm off now to sports until late ...

Hasselt was a strong and solid gig and fully entertaining ... ;D ...
Pista
Cureboi

Have a great evening everyone. :D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
robertzombie
Overbomber

Good solid show from the band with good sound. No set surprises. Best bit for me was Valentine and Flood II. Only thing I didn't like was the crowd, bunch of old blokes trying to impress each other. Lame.
Chaotican
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Warning: I'm drunk and pretty sure no one reads long posts anyhow so this could be odd.

I will admit that I don't know s**t about music. I feel the energy, though, and, for an atheist, it is a deep religious experience. I don't know what it is about tsom, but I could write forever about what the music does for me and what hearing it live means to me. And that is 100x more true after Norwich.

So, I was having a bad day by the time I got into the Birmingham show. This is my first time in England since I wandered here for 6 months when I was 17, crapping away a bright future and looking to see if maybe belonging would follow crossing an ocean. It didn't, but I've done really well over the last 25 years anyhow. I know how to steer the world around me and I'm super successful and all that s**t. But wandering around Birmingham, it struck me how much NOTHING had changed since I wandered 25 years ago. Still awkward, isolated, and the glimpses of belonging come in small things like music.

It was f**king freezing waiting for the gig. And I went to the wrong place first and ended up trying to get John Robb's attention because it seemed he was walking to the right venue but couldn't and I ended up taking a taxi just because I was discouraged. I started drinking after getting inside because I felt "off" and the crowd had an energy that triggered my extreme introvert tendencies and all that. Ive been away from home and unable to recharge for days and days, anyhow. So, it is in this context that I tell you that something felt missing.

It wasn't that the magic wasn't there at all. It was, and honestly, I'd still cross an ocean for that show. But there was something not working. You had to strain and try to catch what sometimes flows and it evaporated before too long when it did flow, IMO. Maybe there was a technical issue and im just personalizing it.

The crowd, though large and enthusiastic and filled with people I like, -'also included some agressive people who were trying to get a space advantage and it was distracting. It felt like a lot of people didn't "get it", but again, that could have been my state of mind.

There was something slightly painful about the encores but I'm not sure what. The magic was just elusive.

I don't keep track of the number of gigs I've seen, but I'd say it is around 20, going back to 1991. There was one show that I would say was not good in all that time, around 1996. Every other show, i would put in a class completely separate from other bands. And this show still had enough of that "other" quality to be worthwhile. It was just...altered somehow. And I kept drinking so that could be influencing my judgement in more than one way.

My goal for Bristol is to stay totally in my own world until the gig is over. ;)

I'm interested to hear what others who go by facts rather than by gut thought about it.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

@chaotician: i have been to see some of my very favourite bands live in what has proven to be a non-conducive mood -sometimes related to serious personal s**t and sometimes just down to the wrong drugs or whatever- and it can be hard to be objective about the reasons why, beyond knowing that the band didnt really do anything wrong.

certainly the smallest thing can scale-up rapidly and vastly influence things (i once got ejected from motorhead at the birmingham indoor arena and dragged out half-naked into the snow by 6 security -venue , not MH "road-crew"- for a good-kicking. a rowdy crowd up at the front had lead to one of these oafs deliberately punching a completely innocent 14 year old girl in the face , which soured my mood so much i spent the next hour chain-smoking marlboro and flicking the still-lit ends at said security guy until i eventually got him right in the eye ;D .....but i digress.)

maybe following your exceptional experience at the sisters gig in norwich this was always going to feel a bit flatter? i dont know but thank-you for being of a sufficiently open mind (even in your drunken state) that you didnt just say they were shit, as some people would have. :von:

tonight will be better you'll see. birmingham can feel a little hostile to outsiders whereas bristol is an almost unnaturally friendly city (i think its because it boasts the UK's largest ratio per head of extraordinarily-hot women but there you go :innocent: )
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Being645
Above the Chemist

Setlist as confired by setlist.fm
setlist.fm wrote:More
Ribbons
Doctor Jeep / Detonation Boulevard
Amphetamine Logic
Body Electric
Crash And Burn
Alice
Marian
No Time To Cry
Arms
Dominion / Mother Russia
Summer
Jihad
Valentine
Flood II

First Encore
Something Fast
Lucretia, My Reflection
Vision Thing

Second Encore
First And Last And Always
Temple Of Love
This Corrosion
Btw, NTTC was also played in Norwich, which is visible in the picture of the setlist but not listed in the opening post of the thread ... :wink: ...
Durly
Road Kill

robertzombie wrote:Good solid show from the band with good sound. No set surprises. Best bit for me was Valentine and Flood II. Only thing I didn't like was the crowd, bunch of old blokes trying to impress each other. Lame.
Yep. That sums it up pretty well. I thought the sound was very good. Did Von take issue with it about half way through the set though? Seemed like he did, although I was at the back and couldn't see brilliantly but I thought he got the hump about it at one point.......
ROBBIE

:von: seemed to be 'in a mood' over something. He blurted out something along the lines of 'i told you what the f*** would happen' at one point, he seemed to want to hide at the side of the stage the rest of the night.

The sound was really good and the light show on such a small stage worked well for me. When the smoke started just before they walked it on stage it filled most of the venue.

A good night out :)
"Genevieve, I think you're lovely But Genevieve, it's time” TSOM 2020
Being645
Above the Chemist

First video ... Lucretia ... nice colours ... good sound ... :D ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s910WbEau60
czuczu
Overbomber

ROBBIE wrote: he seemed to want to hide at the side of the stage the rest of the night.
Generally means he can't hear whats going on.
Or its an issue with Ben's diet.
million voices
Slight Overbomber

There seems to be something wrong with the mix...

I can hear the vocals
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
Being645
Above the Chemist

Very nice sound in both these vids ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDn2nzCujt4 - Marian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTOvKKWzQwY - Something Fast - Von very close up
Chaotican

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:@chaotician:

certainly the smallest thing can scale-up rapidly and vastly influence things (i once got ejected from motorhead at the birmingham indoor arena and dragged out half-naked into the snow by 6 security -venue , not MH "road-crew"- for a good-kicking. a rowdy crowd up at the front had lead to one of these oafs deliberately punching a completely innocent 14 year old girl in the face , which soured my mood so much i spent the next hour chain-smoking marlboro and flicking the still-lit ends at said security guy until i eventually got him right in the eye ;D .....but i digress.)

tonight will be better you'll see. birmingham can feel a little hostile to outsiders whereas bristol is an almost unnaturally friendly city (i think its because it boasts the UK's largest ratio per head of extraordinarily-hot women but there you go :innocent: )
Holy s**t - sounds like the night wasn't a total bust, though, as you got to serve justice.

My biggest lesson - no more drunk reviews... and you're spot on. I really liked Birmingham as a city (reminds me of A mini San Francisco before the hispters took over), but I don't think it liked me. Or, rather the taxi driver heard my accent and went on an anti-Semitic and pro-trump rant which didn't end well. Not quite as badly as it did for your security guard, but still..

Thanks for the encouragement. And Bristol was wonderful.
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

Thanks for the review Chaotican, I love all unique and long ones and this was both ;D
Durly
Road Kill

Chaotican wrote:
eastmidswhizzkid wrote:@chaotician:

I really liked Birmingham as a city (reminds me of A mini San Francisco before the hispters took over), but I don't think it liked me. Or, rather the taxi driver heard my accent and went on an anti-Semitic and pro-trump rant which didn't end well. Not quite as badly as it did for your security guard, but still..
Sorry to hear that. Last thing you want when you've travelled halfway across the globe is to be confronted by a bellend like that.[/b]