HL

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
EmmaPeelWannaBe
Slight Overbomber

paint it black wrote:
Empathy rules okay..??..!!

Oooh.... is that a hint that you'd like us to arrange a group hug? Maybe at the solstice?
elamanamou
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote:HL is the place to come if you want to hear about Near Meth Experience gigs before anyone else.
Yes it all easy to see gigs etc. I never knew they had a recent tour until I looked on here :roll: Forget f***book!! ;p;
scotty
Overbomber

It's a bit like a Doctors waiting room in here these days!! I just said to Mags 10 minutes ago that there was only 5 registered users on like, funnily enough I know/knew 4 of them!!! Old timers!! I was in Leeds last Sunday and the memories of the get together were flooding back, a great great few nights, and days, I miss them.
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
Pista
Cureboi

The School's Out weekend in 2007 was epic wasn't it?
We need some meetups methinks.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
scotty
Overbomber

Pista wrote:The School's Out weekend in 2007 was epic wasn't it?
Was that when me, you, zeno and wee Andrew staid with Weebles, chocolate beer in the 3 owlets? It's all a bit of a blurr!!
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
Pista
Cureboi

scotty wrote:
Was that when me, you, zeno and wee Andrew staid with Weebles, chocolate beer in the 3 owlets? It's all a bit of a blurr!!
Aye & we went on the bus. On the top deck & we sat at the front.
& you killed wasps in the pub garden.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
scotty
Overbomber

Pista wrote:
scotty wrote:
:lol: :lol: Andrew got stung in Weebles house :lol: that was a great come of days :notworthy:
Pista
Cureboi

scotty wrote:
Pista wrote:
scotty wrote: Was that when me, you, zeno and wee Andrew staid with Weebles, chocolate beer in the 3 owlets? It's all a bit of a blurr!!
:lol: :lol: Andrew got stung in Weebles house :lol: that was a great come of days :notworthy:
The bee! :lol: :notworthy:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
scotty
Overbomber

Pista wrote:
scotty wrote:
Pista wrote: Aye & we went on the bus. On the top deck & we sat at the front.
I'm sitting here pissing myself!!! The sight of Andrew standing in the doorway in a pair of pants and a sisters t shirt :eek: :lol: will stay with me forever!!!
Hom nearly choked me to death by putting malteasers in my Guinness as there was no chocolate beer in that pub!!!
Pista
Cureboi

scotty wrote:
Pista wrote:
scotty wrote: :lol: :lol: Andrew got stung in Weebles house :lol: that was a great come of days :notworthy:
I'm sitting here pissing myself!!! The sight of Andrew standing in the doorway in a pair of pants and a sisters t shirt :eek: :lol: will stay with me forever!!!
Hom nearly choked me to death by putting malteasers in my Guinness as there was no chocolate beer in that pub!!!
I recall an episode in mcdonalds too. I think that might be where the term "bat's milk" was born :lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Swinnow
Overbomber

Three owlets?

Can think of the Three Horseshoes, wouldn't recommend it though lol.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Nah "Bat's Milk" was in the beer-garden of The Angel wasn't it? "What could be more goffic than black coffee?"...
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Pista
Cureboi

markfiend wrote:Nah "Bat's Milk" was in the beer-garden of The Angel wasn't it? "What could be more goffic than black coffee?"...
Actually, I think you might be right.
:notworthy:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
eotunun
Overbomber

I remember a similar thread on Heartland some nine or ten years ago, where the topic was how Heartland had drained the life from the Dominion Mailing list.
…which had been up and running since 1989, if I'm not mistaken. Nowadays, it's more or less an undead institution, only making the occasional parp, and mainly kept alive due to the Girl who wanted to be God not letting go and Pete French still being willing to keep his server up and running.
Maybe one day, we will all be happy they did.

Me, I blame F***book as well. And no, I don't think it's only worth a shrug, F***book is a seriously sinister company. They own everything you say, plus the information where you were and what else you were doing when you said it. I'll never quite compromise with companies being quite as nosey about my private life. Google Plus is enough of worries to me (Where Husek started a Sissies fan community), at least they will allow you to use alias accounts, so that you retain *some* privacy towards the rest of the public. Google themselves I have quite some doubt in. Too many informations in too few hands.
Diaspora, anyone? The Framasphere Diaspora access server has some subscriber named Eotunun, who, oddly but unmistakably, resembles me. :wink:
I haven't logged in there in a while, as only one of my newly found associates from G+ is active there, the vast majority of people ignore it. Apparently, using that "Interweb" for 3 minutes to find an access to a truely trustworthy social network is too much of an effort as protective measure for your privacy? …make that two minutes.
Me, I quite like it there, only it's utterly quiet.

Well, yes: The fan den are as important as the band itself foe me nowadays. I found several friends here, loads of people who'd deserve a closer friendship if only I weren't as lame an arse as I am today, and despite some flames shooting back and forth in PMs back in 2009, I still think joining HL was one of my better moves. 8)
"These are my principles! And if you don't like the just says so, I have others, too!"
~Rufus T. Firefly
Chaotican
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

eotunun wrote:I remember a similar thread on Heartland some nine or ten years ago, where the topic was how Heartland had drained the life from the Dominion Mailing list.
I was thinking about the same thing. I was resistant to HL when it started because I liked Dominion. And it did kill Dominion, I suppose, but HL also evolved and it became the space that reflects the fans. Wherever these exchanges happen, it's the people who will make it into something worth maintaining. (Not me; I'm just a dork who loves the music. It's up to you all.)

I will keep coming to Heartland as long as it's here. And I'll crash your parties when I'm in the area.

Sarah
elamanamou
Slight Overbomber

Oh I forgot about Dominion mailing list!!
eotunun
Overbomber

elamanamou wrote:Oh I forgot about Dominion mailing list!!
Subscribe. Now. You just know you want to. :eek:

…and, oh, whatever went wrong with that link to the Diaspora-Wiki thingy.. :oops:

@ Keith&Pista: It must have been pretty much exactly 10 Years ago that Sir Izbert announced the first FGG-Gig, which turned into a Heartland meet.
I remember pretty well, that all of a sudden, I was at the venue, but for the life of me, I couldn't find the lot at the venue anymore, and, oh my, that Duvel tasted so well, and I so totally wrecked myself there that night… :oops:
Later we got together again, ended up at some Pizza taxi thingy, where I, um, kinda, had a wee nap, while the others had their Pizza. Jam~es tried various methods of waking me up. The fork-in-the-thigh method failed just as much as stuffing the hot sauce oop me nose. :innocent: Snoring 1, Blast 0.
Let's not get into details about what I did to the Lier Grachten later that evening. :innocent:
"These are my principles! And if you don't like the just says so, I have others, too!"
~Rufus T. Firefly
scotty
Overbomber

What was the name of the wee club we went to, was it in the Merrion Centre?
Swinnow
Overbomber

scotty wrote:What was the name of the wee club we went to, was it in the Merrion Centre?
Probably the Phono.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
Pista
Cureboi

scotty wrote:What was the name of the wee club we went to, was it in the Merrion Centre?
It was the old Flock venue I believe. Carpe Noctum?
& the Saturday we had Bar Santiago in the Grand Arcade.
I still have my flyer :D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
elamanamou
Slight Overbomber

Hard core sisters fans on the Dominion mailing list, if I remember rightly!?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Heartland meets have been held at a few places. From what I can find/remember:

2004 - Armageddon @ The George (1st meetup) conveniently near the hospital ;)
https://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4829

2006 - Winter in July @ The George
https://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6570

2007 - School's Out @ Santiagos
https://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=14307

Some of the weekends have coincided with Smurphs gigs at The Bassment aka Subculture, which was also under the Merrion Centre, but on the side of the centre, around the corner from the Phono

There may have been others :|
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Dominion used to be for all fans (but technology like emails and mailing lists were pretty niche then), then became used only by hardcore fans, and ended up mainly just being used by a small number of the travelling fans.

Heartland started in 2001 as a more accessible community who were not averse to noobs rocking up with the same old beginners/101 questions, or discussing their favourite sort of cheesecake (forest fruits btw).

Also, the 'web' format of heartland meant that previous discussions were easer for people to find, and that the site as a whole was easier to find, sign up to and get involved with.

We also promoted conversation on subjects other than The Sisters, which at the time was (vehemently) discouraged on Dominion.

I conceived of the forum as something to compliment the mailing list. However, people's tastes and tech needs change and we found ourselves more popular (and more discoverable) than the mailing list :(

We have also always suffered from the band's quiet spells. But where as we had other stuff to talk about during those lulls, the mailing list did not and, to put it bluntly, it began to die off...

It's a shame as it was a great resource at it's peak, but people have different expectations of the web these days. In the same was as forums were easier to sign up to and use than email lists by 2001, Facebook is now easier to sign up to and use than both us and Dominion.

Hey ho.

We just keep on keeping on.

A couple of major things we do have over Facebook is that 1) you don't need to sell your soul to a social network to see our content, and 2) we have more quality control over what information is circulated, and better moderators who can ensure we don't get inundated with trolls and f**kwits.
Last edited by Quiff Boy on 12 Dec 2016, 16:38, edited 1 time in total.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Not sure when Poison Door started, but it was probably around the same time as HL, and as far as I remember had a similar remit, but for German speaking people.
scotty
Overbomber

The Subculture I think? Was that just as you go in to shopping centre on the right?