November 20: Hasselt, Belgium (Ethias Arena)

Gig news, reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on The Sisters live in 2016
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Izzy's post up the page credits Luc Luyten.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:Izzy's post up the page credits Luc Luyten.
Yep, he's a Facebook friend of mine, I tagged you on Facebook in this picture, so you can contact the feller if you want; he has a lot more Sisters stuff on the Facebook from Sinners' Day. :)

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
eastmidswhizzkid

i've just been looking at his stuff actually Iz, he's quite good.

Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:i've just been looking at his stuff actually Iz, he's quite good.
Yes, he is :)

He's a professional photographer, does a lot of Belgian gigs and events.

Also, his Urbex-stuff is very intriguing...

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Being645
Above the Chemist

First vids I found, wonderful sound ... ;D ;D ;D ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCeyZAq_7aU - Body Electric taken from the balconies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h23B6FYKtNA - Body Electric near front middle
ROBBIE
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Loved the show, great sound for the most part, couple of bits where Chris's guitar was too loud in the mix. Nice to see :von: on a big stage for a change. He did get a bit ratty with the light show which appeared out of sync especially during Dominion / Summer, hence he congratulated someone when he got green lights during Flood II. Also the road crew shown be given an honorable mention as they set the whole thing up in just over thirty minutes.

Now here is the but...

Why with the whole huge stage did they decide to squeeze it all into a small area...perhaps they have got so used to playing small venues that they do not know any different. Also i get they wanted their own light show, which works well, but the other bands used the electronic backdrop and the big light show which was impressive, surely the use of these lights would have enhanced the effect. Anyway small rant over.

Thought OMD and PIL were great :)
"Genevieve, I think you're lovely But Genevieve, it's time” TSOM 2020
eastmidswhizzkid

that'll be why, PIL are a bigger band and they & omd have more stage equipment to move and locate. having no drum kit means the sisters can be allocated a smaller place with no interference from or to the other bands load in/off.

B E N
Road Kill

damagedone wrote:Anyone knows a way to reach Brussels after the gig?Last train departs in 22:30 which is obviously not an option.If anyone is going to Brussels by car and have a spare place,i am totally fine for sharing the bill :)
I only saw your post afterwards, yesterday. I would have taken you back to Brussels...Sorry. A bit late... and useless, I know. Let us know a bit ahead next time. Greetings all around.
B E N
Road Kill

Oh, and while I'm here: the gig was super great. No criticism from me...there never has been regarding The Sisters of Mercy.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

http://luminousdash.com/portfolio-items ... -20112016/

a load of pictures of some knob in a suit
Goths have feelings too
Chaotican

I heard from others that they felt like they didn't get much interaction. I was in the right place, however, and it was really fabulous. If Norwich was all about intensity, hasselt was about fun.

I got there and soaked in the atmosphere without really paying attention to the music until OMD came on. I'd seen them when I was a teenager a few times, and it was a blast to see them again. Mccluskey was really funny; making jokes the whole time. About watching old men with synthesizers and forcing us to dance and making reference to singles we didn't buy (Joan of arc) and how he'd get his revenge by playing it now. And after making us all dance to locomotion, laughing about how He had tsom and PIL fans dancing to pop.

PIL was...ok. Again, i last saw them 20ish years ago and there was a lot more bite to them. Rise was a highlight. Everything else felt adequate, IMO.

Waiting for the sisters, I was talking to people in the crowd. Of course, they ask me where I'm from and and what I'm doing there since I sound like an America. Because I am. And there was a man who was shocked that I came so far to see a band and he really wanted to understand. I tried to explain honestly because I'm getting too f**king old to be anything but real. I told him I really couldn't name it but that there was nothing else I'd rather be doing and it was fuel. He was skeptical (not much of a fan himself) but said "I'm going to stand next to you and see what I get out of it."

A few people offered me the front row but i stayed maybe one row back. I wanted to be in the crowd that night; felt like I had gotten enough from the front row the prior night. But I was very center.

And it was intense but also light and fun. The man who was standing near me kept tapping me between songs and saying, "thank you!" So he was getting it.

It was a really good show and the crowd around me loved it. Lucretia was a standout, as was mother Russia. The energy was tangible. Something got lost in summer, but otherwise it hit its mark.

I had a great time.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Two parts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mae5LE1KPiA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_WuSQm_LCM

Sound is partly more muddy than where I was standing near front left ... but there are the most parts of the show in these vids ... up until Something Fast ... ;D ;D ;D ...

So, MANY, MANY THANKS to the uploader ... :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ...

As a matter of fact, The Sisters of Mercy were not only headlining this festival, they also drew the largest audience and played a dense and well done gig,
despite technical challenges that apperantly appeared here and there. No major disturbances by that, however. But they had to handle it.
christophe
Overbomber

for those not on facebook (or those who are not on my friends list.
more pictures at my profile.
https://www.facebook.com/MichielsenC/ph ... =3&theater

btw help, I don't know how to resize the picture :o :(
Another Shade of You.
Pista
Cureboi

christophe wrote:
Sorted ;)
You can host them here
It'll resize them for you :)
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
christophe
Overbomber

Pista wrote:
christophe wrote:
Sorted ;)
You can host them here
It'll resize them for you :)
thx :)
I will keep that in mind for next time.
Another Shade of You.
Being645
Above the Chemist

christophe wrote:for those not on facebook (or those who are not on my friends list.
more pictures at my profile.
https://www.facebook.com/MichielsenC/ph ... =3&theater

Thank you for the wonderful pictures of all the festival ... ;D :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ...

Here's a more direct link to your album on FB
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 405&type=3
christophe
Overbomber

Being645 wrote:Thank you for the wonderful pictures of all the festival ... ;D :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ...

Here's a more direct link to your album on FB
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 405&type=3
thank you :)
Another Shade of You.
paul
Overbomber

Could be me, but I wasn't that impressed. The songs were played even faster after another than usual. There were some strange song-endings (?!?) and I saw some awkward behaviour on stage.

A friend of mine, who saw them in the nineties, mentioned the flat, dull sound compared with the other acts that day. Could be.

Before the last song AE said: "Let's get business over with". That remark sums up the Sisters in Hasselt: strictly business ...

(I recorded the whole thing, haven't actually bothered to check tbh)
Being645
Above the Chemist

paul wrote: (I recorded the whole thing, haven't actually bothered to check tbh)
Oh please do !!! ... I enjoyed the show and would love to listen again.... :kiss: :kiss: ... and for me, a Sisters gig is never business as usual. That is just impossible.

SistersWiki page is done (so far) http://sisterswiki.org/Sun,_20-Nov-2016 with a few vids of the show.
Christian

What I find strange is that there is no imprint on the festivals web page. Does anybody know who the organiser is? Why the secrecy?

What I really did not like was that you were not allowed to leave and re-enter the venue (until the late afternoon).

I also did not like the fact that there was no proper security checks at the entrance. The terrorist outrage in Brussels is not that long ago.

And what about that nonsense with the bracelets for the loo and paying an extra 2 EUR for it? C’mon.

I found the whole event quite unprofessional. :roll:

Still liked the Sisters' performance though. ;D
Being645
Above the Chemist

Yeah, it seemed to me they wanted to make sure that THIS festival would not leave them ruined.
And given the crowds there for each band that was not a bad idea ... :? ... I guess The Sisters draw the largest audience.
It was partly saddening to see how few people were there to watch the bands ... so I for one was quite glad
they had taken the effort (and the risk, obviously) to organise that basically lovely event.
Otherwise, I had not seen The Sisters this year again.

Of course, I also had also preferred to leave and spend some time in my car outside, while various bands were playing ...
especially as there was absolutely no place to sit down anywhere in the basement ... until they opened the balconies ...

And 2 extra € for the loo on top of that ... well at least one had to pay that only once.
At Suikerrock last year you had to pay each time ... and as to security checks that was no better ...

However, the 80s disco and the smoking area and the very comfortable balconies were wonderful ... ;D ... and the coffee they served was also nice and strong ... :lol: ...
Christian

I got an answer by PM today. It said:
For Security reasons we can't answer your questions. We have to follow local instructions of the gouvernement
And that was all what it said.

So they really want to make us believe there are instructions of the government or local authorities telling that bags should not be checked.

They really want to make us believe that people are not allowed to leave and re-enter the venue. If it was forbidden by the authorities why was it no problem later in the evening then?

In fact I am more pissed of by their barfaced, unprofessional, ignorant, unashamed and customer unfriendly answer than I was with the festival.

They are not even able to say hello, sorry for any inconveniences, greet or let alone tell the name of the person writing. That’s no answer but just a slap in the face.

I guess they have forgotten who is paying their bills. Or to put it more precisely: bought tickets in the past and will not buy tickets in the future.

They deleted the Sinner’s Day 2016 page on Facebook so I can not reply to my post on their wall anymore.

At least I found out who organised the festival. There is no imprint on the Sinners’s Day festival webpage. An imprint is mandatory for German web pages (.de domain), I do not know whether there are similar rules in Belgium though. I asked the guys from the venue who booked the place. They told me it was a company called star events.