Nephilim...

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Going to see the Nephilim this month for the first time since the 1980s. They used to be great live. What's the opinion these days? The recent live videos on Youtube look great. I know if I asked this about the Sisters it would all get very fraught. Hopefully not in this instance! :wink:
The Chancer Corporation
Alex66
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

A couple of friends of mine had a great time seeing them recently, so hopefully you'll have a cracking night out.
The illiterate of the future will not be the man who cannot read the alphabet, but the one who cannot take a photograph. - Walter Benjamin
Driver powered by Cigarettes, Caffeine and Vitriol
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

who is in the band these days? i havent seen them live for a very long time but even when i didnt appreciate the band as much as i came to in later years Nods was without doubt one of the best live drummers i've seen perform ever.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
abraxas
Road Kill

Carl still makes Von appear a chatterbox in comparison
They are a good live band but you don't get any surprises
Still one of the pesky kids
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I have heard that McCoy uses prerecorded vocals.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Norman Hunter
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote:I have heard that McCoy uses prerecorded vocals.
Did he say that? :lol:
Four strings good, six strings bad
radiojamaica
Overbomber

Last time I've seen them was actually a double whammy: they played 2 different sets on the Roadburn festival in Tilburg in 2015, one on Friday and one the day after. That 2nd show was really brilliant! Big hall, great sound, big audience & wonderful friends to share the experience with...
Tony Pettitt was back in the band and I think he still is (?). They had a new(ish) guitarist with them who was feeling the Neph' sound so no complains whatsoever!
in dub we trust
scotty
Overbomber

I went to see them a good few years back at the Astoria, McCoy with some hired hands, the gig was very average, I enjoyed meeting old faces from the 88/90 time though!! I suppose if you missed them first time round it would be going to see them but don't think you seeng "Fields of the Nephilim" more of a tribute band. I've just listened to the new single, not bad but not great, it's hardly Summerland, For Her Light, Blue Water or Preacher Man. I won't bother ever going to see them again, I'll keep my memories of the Nephilim gigs as they were.
Being brave is coming home at 2am half drunk, smelling of perfume, climbing into bed, slapping the wife on the arse and saying,"right fatty, you're next!!"
SmileySister
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Have a great time :)
I really enjoyed them in Whitby in 2015 and was all set for last December but couldn't attend the rescheduled date. I was all set for Thursday but I've had to abandon plans for yet another family funeral.
You'll have a great night and the fans are a very friendly bunch :)
abridged
Slight Overbomber

SmileySister wrote:Have a great time :)
I really enjoyed them in Whitby in 2015 and was all set for last December but couldn't attend the rescheduled date. I was all set for Thursday but I've had to abandon plans for yet another family funeral.
You'll have a great night and the fans are a very friendly bunch :)
Ta, a great night was had. Nephilim were very good. Ran into Andrew S of this parish briefly. :) Really enjoyed seeing them again.
The Chancer Corporation
Spiggy's hat
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I saw them numerous times 88-91 but then lost interest when McCoy went all death metal with that dreadful Zoon album.

Saw them on the tour with The Mish in 2013 & thought that they were superb & so went to see them at Whitby in 2014 & 2015 which were both great gigs too.

From those three gigs and setlists that I've seen for other gigs over the last few years, Carl seems to know which side his breads buttered on & the sets are largely made up of tracks from the first three albums & largely played how they were played back in that day.

As far as the likelyhood of a new album is concerned........there are similarities with another hat wearing, 80s cult band :lol:
Give me one good reason
eastmidswhizzkid

i'd like to see the original band again but this time as a fan, not a drunken lout ejected from the venue for throwing newcastle brown bottles at them (to be fair it was my mate neil we were actually throwing them at when he was sitting on someone's soldiers being embarrassing but you can understand why the security weren't impressed.) f**k it- got in for nowt on the hunters club guest list anyway. :innocent:

abridged
Slight Overbomber

Spiggy's hat wrote:I saw them numerous times 88-91 but then lost interest when McCoy went all death metal with that dreadful Zoon album.

Saw them on the tour with The Mish in 2013 & thought that they were superb & so went to see them at Whitby in 2014 & 2015 which were both great gigs too.

From those three gigs and setlists that I've seen for other gigs over the last few years, Carl seems to know which side his breads buttered on & the sets are largely made up of tracks from the first three albums & largely played how they were played back in that day.

As far as the likelyhood of a new album is concerned........there are similarities with another hat wearing, 80s cult band :lol:
Yep, wasn't impressed by the whole Zoon experiment either. They were great though in December and Balaam and the Angel were really enjoyable also. I forgot how many of their songs I actually knew! Yep an album is a ways off I reckon though we did get a single at least. :D
The Chancer Corporation
eastmidswhizzkid

abridged wrote: and Balaam and the Angel were really enjoyable
didn't they turn up then? :innocent: :twisted:

abridged
Slight Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:
abridged wrote: and Balaam and the Angel were really enjoyable
didn't they turn up then? :innocent: :twisted:
Ah to be fair I didn't mind them back in the day. I used to get their singles in the 50p box though mind you in our town nearly all the good stuff was in the 50p box as very few people actually bought non-chart stuff. They went down well with the Nephilim crowd I think.:D
The Chancer Corporation
eastmidswhizzkid

i'm only teasing. my ex missus loved them, just not my cuppa. there's undoubtedly hundreds of my cd's that would make you yawn/laugh/vomit :wink: