Wow - huge Saxon find in Southend!

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_b ... ory=487950

They it's the most important of its type since 1939. Cool.

Anybody like to guess which local paper has seen its printing press break down this morning? As soon as we get a decent story .....
Names are just a souvenir ...
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

I thought this was going to be a story about finding some early demos from a naff heavy metal band. Then I saw the 1939 date and realised they haven't been around that long. Just seems it. :von:
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

Black Horizon wrote:
Johnny Boy wrote:I thought this was going to be a story about finding some early demos from a naff heavy metal band. Then I saw the 1939 date and realised they haven't been around that long. Just seems it. :von:
Yeah and Saxon the band are so bad, they could suck the dirt out of a carpet
Wheels Of Steel was a fantastic album!
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

That is something. It's surprising the tomb was intact after so many years.
James Blast
Banned

CellThree wrote:Wheels Of Steel was a fantastic album!
Always had a soft spot for Sailing To America.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

Black Planet wrote:That is something. It's surprising the tomb was intact after so many years.
Can't wait to get along and have a proper look at it. Wonder if they'll still build the road over the top of the site now?

Destroying a strip of parkland was unpopular enough ... but this will really annoy people.
Russian footie in the run-up to the World Cup - my latest E-book available from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGJFF6G
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

I think the road can be kissed goodbye until it's properly excavated. So you're going to go see it? Cool! I love that sort of stuff. I had the best time in Italy this summer wandering the Forum Romanum and Pompeii. Very very cool!
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

andymackem wrote:Wonder if they'll still build the road over the top of the site now?

Destroying a strip of parkland was unpopular enough ... but this will really annoy people.
why not? clearly the site has been properly excavated and recorded. the finds have been removed for public display. what difference does it make if they now slap a road over the hole?
"contradictions are meaningless, there's nothing to betray"
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

RicheyJames wrote:
andymackem wrote:Wonder if they'll still build the road over the top of the site now?

why not? clearly the site has been properly excavated and recorded. the finds have been removed for public display. what difference does it make if they now slap a road over the hole?
:urff: :urff:

Some things ought not be built over. Don't get me started. :evil:
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

but that doesn't answer my question. why shouldn't it be built over? i'm all in favour of sites like this being properly investigated but once this is done (as it appears to have been here) then it's just another hole in the ground. isn't it?
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

Black Planet wrote:I think the road can be kissed goodbye until it's properly excavated. So you're going to go see it? Cool! I love that sort of stuff. I had the best time in Italy this summer wandering the Forum Romanum and Pompeii. Very very cool!
Well, I live about two miles away, and having spent months slating this town as the worst in the world it would be unfair for me not to take an interest when something so remarkable turns up.

Besides, always like a bit of history. There's nothing like hiding in the past to get me over the present :D
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

RicheyJames wrote:but that doesn't answer my question. why shouldn't it be built over? i'm all in favour of sites like this being properly investigated but once this is done (as it appears to have been here) then it's just another hole in the ground. isn't it?
The initial objection to the road-widening scheme was about loss of public open land in the park. That still applies and the public space can be reinstated.

Of course the irony is, without the road this would never have been found.

I predict another round of protests, delays to the project and excessive whining when the costs go up and so do the council taxes. The ultimate fate of the road interests me more as an observer than someone actively involved.
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

andymackem wrote: Besides, always like a bit of history. There's nothing like hiding in the past to get me over the present :D
:roll: Me too.

Richey, when I grew up in Arizona, for miles around there was the desert. Lots of dust and cactus. It's now completely paved over with housing developments and roads.

I realize that "progress" means building over things, but for christs sake, lets keep some of what Used to be, so it can be appreciated by future generations. And if you call me a tree hugger I'm gonna ask SG to slap you for me!
RicheyJames
Bad Tempered Young Man

ladies and gentlemen - we have a new hippy!
andymackem
Slight Overbomber

RicheyJames wrote:ladies and gentlemen - we have a new hippy!
For wanting to see a future which also has a past? Can I join too?
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

andymackem wrote:
RicheyJames wrote:ladies and gentlemen - we have a new hippy!
For wanting to see a future which also has a past? Can I join too?
Sure. As long as I dont have to be grammatically correct...
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

Does that mean that I'm now officially retired as HL's hippy?
Only a paand.
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

No it does not. RJ has his opinions and when they concern me being a Hippy he is dead wrong. DEAD WRONG.

And I am old enough to actually REMEMBER Real HIPPIES on the telly...and for christs sake....blow those bastards to kingdom come! Let me load my Uzi....

I am Andrew's Love Goddess....in Case Anyone Was Still Wondering ...What I Am.
James Blast
Banned

Yup, BP!
been there, seen it, got the tour shirt, ate the stew etc...
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

You gonna help me load my Uzi?
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

Shoot who you like, but the fact remains that I'm not the hippy.Just what I've been saying all along..............
Only a paand.
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

SG I never thought you a hippy. Never!
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber

Thankyou BP
Only a paand.
6FeetOver
Childlike Empress

:eek: Utterly awesome find!!! I'm a *huge* Sutton Hoo freak, too. Hmmm. I think I need to move over there, or something... ;D :notworthy:
I left my heart in Ballycastle... :cry: :cry: :cry:
hallucienate
Overbomber

Sexygoth wrote:Shoot who you like, but the fact remains that I'm not the hippy.Just what I've been saying all along..............
yes, you are a hippy :innocent: