Dont you hate it when....

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
ryan
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

OK, so i heard this great band called merzbow. Just hours of loud distorted noise...lovely...all ive been listening to :oops:

and so today i find out he's doing a smalle show limited to 100 tickets in three days...I dont know if he's well known here but im about 80% sure that the tickets are sold out it being last minute and all...

there should be more posters etc around. I was so hoping to be blown out of my skull by the forces of industrialist waves and beats...shame.

Anyway, my question...has this ever happened to you guys and have you REALLY regreted missing out on seing a band live later on. I have a feeling im gonna regret missing this one...
Last edited by ryan on 05 Feb 2004, 13:17, edited 2 times in total.
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

Is this having seen a band and regretted it? Or not having seen a band and regretted it? :urff:

Are you drunk again Ryan? :wink:
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
ryan

:innocent:
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

Yes. I missed out, so I thought, on a U2 gig. Actually waited in line and got just so close the tic window before, ta da...Sold Out.

Got tickets somehow. Great great gig. Bono was singing just for me...I swear..he was looking right at me!!!
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

been there a few times - remembered about a gig the day after it! :urff:

had some good fortune a couple of years ago though - got home from work one friday evening in mid-december, had a casual look on the web and saw that the chameleons were playing that evening in middleton, near manchester.

:o

i grabbed my coat, hopped on a train into leeds, then on a train to manchester, then into a taxi from manny to middleton (15 f**king quid!) and get there just in time.

didnt even occur to me that it might have been sold out (with it being a home-town gig and all that). luckily it wasnt!

:roll:

was a fantastic gig though and introduced me to "wishville" (the chams' version of this place and without which i would never have had the idea to start a forum/community for the sisters 8))

getting home was a farse though! i got a lift back into manchester and then a train back to leeds ok, but there was a massive queue for taxis at the station, and i also needed cash machine to get some money as i was skint.

sadly, all the cash machines in leeds center were down! some kind of network problem due to overwhelming demand (with it being near xmas i suppose!) :urff:

i had to ring a local taxi rank who i had used quite often and "knew" me) and ask for a favour... they sent a taxi into town as soon as they could (45 minutes later!) and took me home - i rang them the next day and they sent a car round and i gave the money to that driver :roll:

blimey. cost me a fortune all in all, but it was well worth it :von:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

ryan_w_0000 wrote:OK, so i heard this great band called merzbow. Just hours of loud distorted noise...lovely...all ive been listening to :oops:

and so today i find out he's doing a smalle show limited to 100 tickets in three days...I dont know if he's well known here but im about 80% sure that the tickets are sold out it being last minute and all...

there should be more posters etc around. I was so hoping to be blown out of my skull by the forces of industrialist waves and beats...shame.

Anyway, my question...has this ever happened to you guys and have you REALLY regreted missing out on seing a band live later on. I have a feeling im gonna regret missing this one...
Merzbow is ace. I've got the 50 CD boxset downloaded that he released a couple of years ago. Also, if you look in the Digital Hardcore shop you can get Alec Empire Vs Merzbow album which is rather good.
24.24.2.489 Deceased
James Blast
Banned

Used to do relief work on the art desk of the Daily Express (I know it's a rag) in Glasgow on Sunday nights. One particular Sunday I was skimming through some of the papers lying about when I discovered "The Sisters Of Mercy, Glasgow Barrowland".... eh, last night! Paul, one of the subs, who got me the job was a Sisters fan too, we immediately retired to the smoking room where we smoked, stared at the floor and swore.

And sorry, the Merzbow I've heard sounds like swathes of very unappealing white noise.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

:urff: :urff:

I hate it when the grammar police return (and that includes ALL of you who participate in that droll behavior!!!!!!!) to the board. It's very tedious, and dull. :evil: :evil: :evil: And never ever ending. :eek: :(

I'll be in the photo gallery, looking at Andrew for a bit. :von: :von:
James Blast
Banned

I echo what Black Planet said.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Mrs RicheyJames
Overbomber
Location: Rick Astley's house. Trying to find out why he chooses to look like Timsinister.

CellThree wrote:
Merzbow is ace. I've got the 50 CD boxset downloaded that he released a couple of years ago. Also, if you look in the Digital Hardcore shop you can get Alec Empire Vs Merzbow album which is rather good.
Ooh, must give that a coat of listening to. Alec Empire rocks
Only a paand.
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

Sexygoth wrote:
CellThree wrote:
Ooh, must give that a coat of listening to. Alec Empire rocks
If you don't like the ATR - Live At Brixton album, then you won't like this one. I don't think it is as good personally, but it's Merzbow all the same!
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Scardwel
Slight Overbomber

I was actually present at that ATR performance at Brixton - I hadn't seen 'em before and expected great things after Trent Reznor's public endorsement of 'em, but to be honest I thought they were f*cking abysmal, as did 99.9% of the audience! - to me they sounded like someone trying to tune in a radio for 45 minutes... :roll: The headliners (the mighty NIN) were absolutely awesome though!
I really like Alec Empire's solo stuff - in particular, the track "Everything Starts With A F**k". 8)
The Scene won't save you...
James Blast
Banned

Scardwel wrote: (the mighty NIN) were absolutely awesome though!
This is true. NIN are dynamic live.
And if you like the sound of 'white goods, or Merzbow go here http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/world/mixingit.shtml
~ Peter Steele
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

Scardwel wrote:I was actually present at that ATR performance at Brixton - I hadn't seen 'em before and expected great things after Trent Reznor's public endorsement of 'em, but to be honest I thought they were f*cking abysmal, as did 99.9% of the audience! - to me they sounded like someone trying to tune in a radio for 45 minutes... :roll: The headliners (the mighty NIN) were absolutely awesome though!
I really like Alec Empire's solo stuff - in particular, the track "Everything Starts With A F**k". 8)
That was the whole point of that gig. According to the blurb on the back of the album, they wanted to do a show that started where a normal ATR show would finish. So they decided to do a noise show. It sounds really good on CD. It was their last ever show.

The new Alec Empire stuff is really good. Intelligence and Sacrifice CD1 is excellent driving music. The CD2 sessions album is better than I+S CD2 I think.
24.24.2.489 Deceased
James Blast
Banned

Noise for noise sake IMO C3, sorry, I still don't get it?
God Speed You Black Emperor, on the other hand...
~ Peter Steele
Padstar
Utterly Bastard Smurph

I still hate tomatoes myself.

Paddy.
Still playing guitar - sometimes weird shaped ones.
Loki
God of Mischief and Discord

Black Planet wrote: I hate it when the grammar police return
Red Sunsets wrote: I echo what Black Planet said.
If this is in response to my initial post to Ryan, can I just clarify that his initial post was written in Japanese whilst under the influence of alcohol with certain words key to its understanding missing. Consequently, it made no sense whatsoever. My reply was merely seeking clarification of what the question was to enable all you lovely people to respond. I was not correcting his grammar as I do not speak Australian.

Now say sorry. :twisted:
Loki was never worshiped as the other Gods,
Which is quite understandable.
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

You are not the grammar police.
James Blast
Banned

Sorry dear :(
~ Peter Steele
zigeunerweisen

Black Planet wrote: I hate it when the grammar police return
Red Sunsets wrote: I echo what Black Planet said.
I really can not understand this.

Why? To be completely honest I don't mind at all when someone points out a grammatical error or misspelled word. I'm always eager to learn the correct form.

In Portugal, with the internet, cell phones, SMS and so on kids simply don't know how to spell anymore, and neither do adults for that matter. It reached the point of every day us getting misspelled words in the news programs on TV. It's maddening and infuriating.

Then I read an american or british site, forum, message board, etc, and I pick up so many mistakes that makes me want to scream and i'm not even a native. I get so confused sometimes that it has gotten to the point that occasionally i'm not even sure when to use the apostrophe or not, such a simple little thing.

Language is one of the most important aspects of any culture. Seing it butchered everywhere is depressing.

I know people can say, it's only an internet message board or i'm too tired or i just don't care and the likes, but like it or not, your writing and spelling are the only indicators the rest have to make a mental image of what kind of person you are.

I'm not speaking of anyone in particular but about the world in general, shouldn't people strive to be educated and cultured? Maybe that is just passé.

Everyone makes typos, errors, mistakes, misspelled words, etc. It's only natural and I do it too all the time, but it should happen by accident, occasionally, not because you don't know how to do it any better, or even worse, you do know better but still do it the wrong way because you can't be bothered.

I'm just saying I don't mind at all the so called spelling police in here, it makes me improve my english. If you don't want an ecounter with the S.P. just type better. Or if it happened anyway be mad at yourself, you made the error.

Of course this only applies to the natives of a given language, in this site, english native speakers. So aeem alawd too misspel eef aee wont 2.
ryan

getting back on topic....

Merzbow is 18+....DAMN THEM TO HELL!!!

s**t f**k s**t s**t c**t!!!!!!
Thrash Harry
Utterly Bastard Filthy

@Ziggy. My argument is that correcting someone's spelling/ grammar on a chat forum is just plain rude. If you were talking to someone in a pub and pulled them up for their pronunciation or grammar, the chances are you'd end up wearing your drink. Claiming to be defending the purity of the English language is ridiculous, as language, both written and spoken, is constantly evolving. In an age where everything is changing at such a pace, there is every chance that vowels will be superfluous in twenty years, if only for the resultant cost-savings in bandwidth and storage space. You can either roll with it or end up in a ramshackled farm house in the middle of the M62. Pretending that the correctee will be grateful for your instruction is conceit beyond belief. What makes such people think they can succeed where ten years of structured education have failed?

Having said that, RicheyJames floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee, while I cannot help but admire Mugabe's audacity since learning he is a non-native speaker. One of these days, however, they'll both trip over there dicks and we will all be there to point and laugh.

As for the point of this thread, the only artist I regret never having been able to see in his prime is Sinatra.
Go to sleep now, Francis.
Ian - Rhythm Smurph
Utterly Bastard Smurph

zigeunerweisen wrote:
Then I read an american or british site, forum, message board, etc
That would be - American or British - proper nouns use a capitalised initial letter in English.

I couldn't resist - Oh the irony!

;-)

Oh - and I just missed Pixies tickets by all accounts by spending too much time reading this bloody forum!

Damn you all!
mugabe

Thrash Harry wrote:My argument is that correcting someone's spelling/ grammar on a chat forum is just plain rude.
IMHO, not bothering to put in the little extra effort it takes to check your messages before submission is being rude to your fellow board members, who actually have to read them, in a "my time is more valuable than yours" kind of way.

This is a BBS, not a chat, btw. Even after having scrolled off-screen, postings remain for others to spend their time reading.
Nothing ventured, nothing lost
James Blast
Banned

Can't agree with you there mugabe, as long as the sentiment, feeling or facts comes across in the post, that's fine by me.
~ Peter Steele