Wiki

For you to give feedback to the Heartland moderators. Wish lists, fault reports, etc. You may get an answer, you may not. As in all things, it largely depends on how nicely you ask the people in charge... You're welcome.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Quiff Boy wrote:
Being645 wrote:<Could you try editing one of the pages and re-embedding them?>

OK, I'll try out the instructions given under
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:EmbedVideo again.
Didn't work before but might work with the updated extension.

But not now. I gotta leave in a minute and be back only in the evening ...

< - Stats: that's a pain. Let me know if you find an alternative plugin.
Otherwise, the wiki does have google analytics installed so if you want to know
what people are looking at I could always give you access to that? >

That's at least something. Not really the same, though, because it's not visible to everyone ...
but I guess it would it enable me to go on with my pretty list, at least? ...
https://sisterswiki.org/Talk:Current_events
I'll need an email address that's registered with google to add you. Your usual .de address doesn't seem to work.
I don't have one. And I won't get one as it takes a mobile phone to create a google email account.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Maybe then, if possible, we might just install the hit counter extension and let it start counting anew?
And/or maybe it's a good idea to contact the developer of the current extension?
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extensio ... EmbedVideo

As to the vids ... if I determine dimensions and add the container info "frame" ... it looks almost like before ... and like I have to revise them all accordingly ...
https://sisterswiki.org/Basement_Demos_1982

... but there is still no space to the text or the lists ... or between the videos themselves when they are listed horizontally.
In the above Basement Demos page I used "&emsp;" to create that distance, but that does not work in the vertical outside such a list...
https://sisterswiki.org/Sun,_20-Nov-2016

I also tried the h1,h2,hx tags ... and they ultimately create an entry within the toc ... so that is no alternative ... :wink: ...
Anyway, I'm not exactly a master in hmtl - or anything ... So if you should know any other, better way to create larger font subheads to the purpose desired,
I shall - of course - absolutely gladly follow your suggestions ...
Dan
Overbomber

Being645 wrote:I don't have one. And I won't get one as it takes a mobile phone to create a google email account.
That's not true. I have several gmails and don't own a mobile phone. Whenever it asks me to input a phone number (for verification purposes) I always skip that part.
Swinnow
Overbomber

True that, I have two gmail accounts and the last thing I'd do is give google my number.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
Being645
Above the Chemist

... :eek: :eek: ... ok, then I shall try again ... :wink: ...
Being645
Above the Chemist

EDIT:
It worked ... ;D ... you don't even have to give them any sort of real name ... ;D ...

Thanks, Dan and Swinnow for the hints! ... :notworthy: :notworthy: ...

So the SistersWiki does have an email-address now ... sisterswiki at gmail dot com ...
Swinnow
Overbomber

Well, it's not quite the last thing I'd do lmao.

Glad it worked, your endless work on the wiki is much appreciated Being645, thank you.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
Pista
Cureboi

^^^^
Wot he said :notworthy:

BTW, I edited the email addy in your post. Last thing you want is for a bunch of kitchen bots & Middle East tour agents filling your inbox with cr@p ;)
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Being645
Above the Chemist

Pista wrote:^^^^
Wot he said :notworthy:

BTW, I edited the email addy in your post. Last thing you want is for a bunch of kitchen bots & Middle East tour agents filling your inbox with cr@p ;)
Oh yes! That is surely for the best ... :lol: ... Thank you, Pista !!! ... :notworthy: :notworthy: ...
Being645
Above the Chemist

Being645 wrote:Maybe then, if possible, we might just install the hit counter extension and let it start counting anew?
And/or maybe it's a good idea to contact the developer of the current extension?
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extensio ... EmbedVideo
... also started thinking about the possibilities of installing the hitcounter and - once it has settled -
manipulating it by filing in the most recent figures at least for the content pages ... :twisted: ;D ...
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

@ Being645 - you should now be able to log in to Google Analytics and see how people are using the wiki 8)

if you've never used GA before, have a read through some of this stuff: https://analytics.google.com/analytics/academy/

it's super-powerful and way better at telling you which pages people are looking at.
Last edited by Quiff Boy on 20 Apr 2017, 11:59, edited 1 time in total.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Being645
Above the Chemist

Google Analytics works ... :D ... very extensive analyses ... ;D ...

Thank You!!! ... :notworthy: ...
Being645
Above the Chemist

This view shows clearly that the wikimedia fonts were "optimised" mainly for Firefox/Ubuntu users ... :eek: ...
while according to the great Google Analytics tool only 1,36% of the people who visit the SistersWiki use Linux ...
An
Amphetamine Filth

Again, Sabine, really very appreciated what you´re doing.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Thank you An ... :) ...

I really appreciate it ... :D ...
what I even more appreciate is that Quiffboy has managed to re-install the pageviews counter to the new version again ... :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ... ;D ;D ;D ...
I felt so lonely without all those anonymous numbers ... :kiss: ...

Next step will hopefully be the idiot fonts ... honestly, for me it's a political affront to re-introduce Times New Roman and Helvetica fonts to any sort of publication
and even more to bring them to the wikimedia software ... The SistersWiki now looks like a really poor failure to make a website endevoured by some sad old chap
who was 50 already in the 1960s of the last century ... :cry: :cry: :cry: ...

"They" are ever more downgrading all social achievements reached and fought for over centuries and now, they also take to the fonts ... :urff: :urff: :urff: ... I HATE them... :evil: :evil: :evil: ...
I've always been a supporter of Wikipedia, but with these fonts burning in my eyes with every page no matter of what content ... no. No more.
And all their talk of readability ... was it not readability that led people AWAY from Times New Roman and Helvetica!!!
Let's hope that our dear Quiff can manage for the SistersWiki to escape from these prescriptions ... :wink: ...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I almost always set my browser to use fonts I select rather than the ones the website specifies. /typography nerd
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Being645
Above the Chemist

markfiend wrote:I almost always set my browser to use fonts I select rather than the ones the website specifies. /typography nerd
... :lol: ... and you're not the only one ... but it's about the standards ...
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Being645 wrote:Thank you An ... :) ...

I really appreciate it ... :D ...
what I even more appreciate is that Quiffboy has managed to re-install the pageviews counter to the new version again ... :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ... ;D ;D ;D ...
I felt so lonely without all those anonymous numbers ... :kiss: ...

Next step will hopefully be the idiot fonts ... honestly, for me it's a political affront to re-introduce Times New Roman and Helvetica fonts to any sort of publication
and even more to bring them to the wikimedia software ... The SistersWiki now looks like a really poor failure to make a website endevoured by some sad old chap
who was 50 already in the 1960s of the last century ... :cry: :cry: :cry: ...

"They" are ever more downgrading all social achievements reached and fought for over centuries and now, they also take to the fonts ... :urff: :urff: :urff: ... I HATE them... :evil: :evil: :evil: ...
I've always been a supporter of Wikipedia, but with these fonts burning in my eyes with every page no matter of what content ... no. No more.
And all their talk of readability ... was it not readability that led people AWAY from Times New Roman and Helvetica!!!
Let's hope that our dear Quiff can manage for the SistersWiki to escape from these prescriptions ... :wink: ...
think I've worked out how & where to change the fonts...

what fonts would you suggest for headings, and what for body content?

I'd still recommend a standard sans-serif system font like arial/helvetica for content as it's readable system and every user will have it, but let me know what what kind of thing you're thinking of and I'll have play.

this is a useful list of widely used and compatible fonts:

http://www.cssfontstack.com

in the meantime, I've set the headings back to sans-serif like the body copy, and also made the body copy size a little smaller as it was in the previous version of the wiki.

hope that's a little better 8)
Being645
Above the Chemist

Quiff Boy wrote: think I've worked out how & where to change the fonts...
[...]
in the meantime, I've set the headings back to sans-serif like the body copy, and also made the body copy size a little smaller as it was in the previous version of the wiki.

hope that's a little better 8)
What a relief !!! ... :notworthy: ;D :notworthy: ;D :notworthy: ;D :notworthy: ...

BUT :? ... the main header font is too large while in all other places (including subheads) it is too small, especially in the content boxes.
If I enlarge my monitor view by 10% it looks almost how it should be (well except the header which is now even larger of course).
Anyway, all this is nothing as embarrasing as the former look ...
Quiff Boy wrote: what fonts would you suggest for headings, and what for body content?

I'd still recommend a standard sans-serif system font like arial/helvetica for content as it's readable system and every user will have it, but let me know what what kind of thing you're thinking of and I'll have play.

this is a useful list of widely used and compatible fonts:

http://www.cssfontstack.com
A lovely list ... :D ... though, I fully agree that the standard sans-serif system font will probably suit best in most places.

For the captions (and perhaps also for the content boxes) I might, however, prefer something like Calibri,
because it is most readable in Italics and there are many Italics in the captions and boxes... :wink: ...

It might perhaps also be ok for the headers (~20pt [not px as in the CSS tool] or maybe a bit larger) and subheads (~16pt or so), although it looks a bit round ... depends ...
in text files on my computer it looks better than in the CSS Font Stack Tool ... :? ... and, unfortunately, only about one third of Mac users have it ... while
most of them seem to avail of Gill Sans, unlike many Windows users like me ... hhm, don't know whether you can make something of it ? ...
For the running text, the Calibri font is no option ... too bold and too wide, IMO, and the light version (if it were available) too thin ...

First of all, some adjustments on the font sizes might show best how to proceed further ... :D ...

Hah, thank you very much for all your effort!!! ... ;D :notworthy: ;D :notworthy: ;D :notworthy: ;D ...
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Have upp'ed the standard font size a little - how's that?

Still too small, or just right?

8)
Being645
Above the Chemist

Looks better. Perhaps still a tiny bit small ... which comes out especially in the header sizes see for example here ...

From a certain size upwards the font in the running text might perceptibly change its appearance. That were no good ... :wink: ...

Spaces - the next point ... :innocent: ...
It seems to me that the autospace has changed to larger ... of course, that's good to read, basically.

The autospace above the autolines is nice. It should be the same underneath those lines I think
(a disturbance that was there already before, however, but maybe it is as large and only looks smaller ...
anyway, the distance between those lines and the first text line should be larger by default.

Very bad is, that there is no space between the videos and the text any longer ... and also not between the videos themselves, even if they are in a "frame".
Looks like these "frames" - which are very thin at the sides - run behind the text ... Very funny, because it all works as ever nicely with the thumbs for the pictures.
Only the new video extension does not know the parameter "thumb" ... one example that shows all the issues (also scroll)
Being645
Above the Chemist

EDIT:
Having looked at the sizes and spaces for some days now, they seem quite ok ...
The major header could be slightly smaller and a space under the lines were clearly better, but that's about it ...
staring too long at such details obviously has some whirling effect ...
Being645
Above the Chemist

All videos are now framed and revised, including blank spaces where necessary ... took about a week ...

Now there are about 1,800 content pages to review because of the spaces that have changed ... oh well, if there's nothing less ... :lol: ...
That way, I can make some further revisions that were anyway due.
Pista
Cureboi

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Being645
Above the Chemist

SEC_ERROR_EXPIRED_CERTIFICATE ... :| ...