Those daft Wayne & Mish filters... your vote counts!

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.

Should we remove the Wayne and Mish filters?

Poll ended at 18 Jun 2017, 14:37

Remove the Wayne filter but leave the Mish one
2%
Remove the Mish filter but leave the Wayne one
2%
Remove them both
50%
Leave them both in place
47%

Total votes: 116
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

I'm missing the alternative "couldn't care less" which I think would win by a wide margin if all Heartland readers had to respond. I know next to nothing about the m*****n even if I recognise a few song titles. I'm not upset by Wayne & co, I don't dislike them in anyway, I just don't care about them.

But this poll will mostly attract HL members who are above average interested in the band and likely will vote to get rid of them.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

EmmaPeelWannaBe wrote:I'm immature enough to be amused by the filters. But having a high EQ, I just want everyone to be happy.
f**k off weirdo :lol: :lol:

no EQ wins everyday of the month

I like the m*****n and i like the sisters. I've asked Harry Hill to resolve it for me, however clearly the fact he looks like von / von looks like him adds a degree of bias.

Though I've just remembered Harry had a puppet who looked like Wayne...

Harry the date's back on mate
Goths have feelings too
million voices
Slight Overbomber

....what I meant to add to my post

as the argument between Wayne and Eldo appears spiteful, puerile, petty and pathetic it seems apt that we keep the filters
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
EmmaPeelWannaBe
Slight Overbomber

paint it black wrote:
EmmaPeelWannaBe wrote:I'm immature enough to be amused by the filters. But having a high EQ, I just want everyone to be happy.
f**k off weirdo :lol: :lol:

no EQ wins everyday of the month
Don't make me put a niceness hex on you
Chaotican
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Alex66 wrote:
eastmidswhizzkid wrote:.
This, for someone who writes lyrics that would embarrass a 13 year old he has a mighty ego about himself. Pity as some of the music is good but the words are just an embarrassment.
I've got to confess that, when I was first discovering the music, I had no idea that there was any relationship between The m*****n and The Sisters. I heard The m*****n first, after stealing "Children" from my older brother and listening to it on my walkman. I was 13 and depressed and withdrawn, the opposite of subtle, yet I laughed out loud at how bad "Black Mountain Mist" was. I still tried to like them. Even saw them live. Eventually, I just couldn't listen. Something to do with crushed butterflies or astrological signs; I don't recall my exact breaking point but I just can't anymore.
Microcosmia
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I figure if the filters are removed people will still have the option either to type in the asterisks and the "that guitarist" epithet if they wish or go ahead and use the full names if they prefer. That way everyone gets to choose as they see fit and Heartland couldn't be accused of imposing any "ban" either. So It could be a win/win.

Using the filters probably lends the whole thing more significance than it warrants anyway.
Swinnow
Overbomber

Knowing Wayne and Craig from a few years back, they would have laughed about this. Pretty sure Andrew chuckles too and as for Gary, he is relieved lol
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
Dan
Overbomber

Chaotican wrote:I don't recall my exact breaking point but I just can't anymore.
I recall my exact breaking point. Finsbury Park 1st June 1991 (I wasn't there but I heard it a few weeks later). They played a bunch of new songs. Previously I'd always liked the new songs but these ones were not to my taste.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Microcosmia wrote:Using the filters probably lends the whole thing more significance than it warrants anyway.
That does seem to have been an untended consequence of having them. :|
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
UnnaturalDisaster
Road Kill

Yeah, it's ridiculous, but entertaining. I vote they remain.
"This is Jenny. She's the family sadist."
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:
on the other hand, i wouldn't want wayne, the m*****n, or their fans to think that they (wayne, the m*****n, and their fans) are more important than they actually are or that we really give a shit about any of them; being, as they are, yesterday's chip-wrappings.
Since I've been a fan of The Mish since 1986 I assume that "yesterdays chip wrappings" applies to me. Of course I've been listening to The Sisters since 1984 as well. So what does that make me?
And as for "not giving a s**t" about people just because they happen to like a band that you don't is a little petty I would think.
I would say,having been to the Hull gig last night, the Sisters soundman really needs to ask them how they got the drum machine so bloody loud during Marian. See,It can be done.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

ribbons69 wrote:
And as for "not giving a s**t" about people just because they happen to like a band that you don't is a little petty I would think.
it's more that i need a reason to give a s**t about somebody.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
GC
Slight Overbomber

I voted to keep them just because they are funny.

I have no problems with Wayne...never really got into the m*****n but he seems quite charming and is still a working artist...which is quite rare around these parts.
dtsom
Slight Overbomber

I voted!
Leave them!
2023: Los Ángeles,Las Vegas, Londonx2, Valencia Madrid, Lisbon, Porto, Bilbao
Big Si
School Bully

You could always compromise and filter :von:'s names as well. I'm rather fond of 'Narrow Bastard Overlord' which used to be QBs Title ;D
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Cedarjet
Amphetamine Filth

Removal... Silly wars from the stone ages. And I do enjoy listening to the m***n from time to time. As long as I don´t try to translate the lyrics ;D
Trying is the first step towards failure
(Homer Simpson)
eotunun
Overbomber

Dear Doctor,

I want fame but no one talks about me. What can I do?

-Take the pish out off Wayne. He even made a living out off doing something similar.

…That filter is a keeper!

P.S.: All hail Barbara Streisand! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :innocent:
There is shadow under this red rock
DocSommer
Slight Overbomber

Stick with funny!
ruffers
Overbomber

Nice decisive result so far, glad it's all been cleared up :lol:
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

What??? And what will I do with my meticulously created code so I could type Wayne Hussey without problems? :eek: ;)

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
iesus
Overbomber

Filter??? What filter? I always write ** when refer W****e H****y :innocent: :wink:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Pista
Cureboi

f**k knows what we'll do if it's a tie.
:eek:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Charlie
Slight Overbomber

A 'Hung' poll - this is getting more exciting than the general election :lol: :lol:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

It's like disputes in academia - the most vicious and bitter form of politics, because the stakes are so low.

:lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Being645
Above the Chemist

Only one more week to go ... 8) ...