October 5th: Club Barby, Tel-Aviv Israel

Gig news, reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on The Sisters live in 2017
vicus
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

http://m.ynet.co.il/Articles/4981973

Tickets here

Setlist:
More
Ribbons
Doctor Jeep / Detonation Boulevard
Crash and Burn
No Time to Cry
Walk Away
Body and Soul
Marian
Alice
Arms
Dominion/ Mother Russia
Summer
First and Last and Always
Rumble
Flood II

Encore:
Something Fast
That's When I Reach For My Revolver
Lucretia My Reflection
Vision Thing
Temple of Love
This Corrosion
"Am Anfang wurde das Universum erschaffen.
Das machte viele Leute sehr wütend und wurde allenthalben als Schritt in die falsche Richtung angesehen."

http://www.poison-door.net/
Being645
Above the Chemist

Surprise ... :lol: ... and it is already listed on the venue's page - Thu, 5 October 2017 - Barby Club, Tel Aviv ... *fortunately, they have a "Translate" function there ...

Tickets also available from the venue's website ... https://www.barby.co.il/hazmen_cards.aspx?id=1838&fr=1
Depprocksfarfar
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Pista
Cureboi

I wonder when Roger Waters will phone :von: about this one.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Being645
Above the Chemist

Pista wrote:I wonder when Roger Waters will phone :von: about this one.
Yeah, BDS is definitely an issue, like with South Africa back in the days ... personally, I'm somewhat undecided about the cultural part of it ... and because Ofra Haza was one of the best things to happen, both to The Sisters of Mercy and Israel ...
Pista
Cureboi

Being645 wrote: Ofra Haza was one of the best things to happen, both to The Sisters of Mercy and Israel ...
She wasn't the best thing to happen to The Sisters at all. Wailing harpy if you ask me. Ruined my favourite Sisters song :evil:

But that's a different discussion ;)
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
iesus
Overbomber

They could have write one other new song for that cooperation and sound better. At least i agree with Steve on this and had that opinion since day 1 of hearing it on MTV.
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

Pista wrote:
Being645 wrote:
She wasn't the best thing to happen to The Sisters at all. Wailing harpy if you ask me. Ruined my favourite Sisters song :evil:

So regarding this other discussion: its not her who did a bad job, its some of the music bits which do not get to the point. It could have been brutally excellent. With some of the 93 live parts it indeed were better. But, i still mostly like it, sometimes.
The original belongs to 83 and got stuck there.
love is just a shot away
iesus
Overbomber

jost 7 wrote: It could have been brutally excellent. With some of the 93 live parts it indeed were better.
Sounds like a Project Kiss Kass Remix challenge :innocent: :lol:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Being645
Above the Chemist

jost 7 wrote:
Pista wrote:
Being645 wrote: Ofra Haza was one of the best things to happen, both to The Sisters of Mercy and Israel ...

So regarding this other discussion: its not her who did a bad job, its some of the music bits which do not get to the point. It could have been brutally excellent. With some of the 93 live parts it indeed were better. But, i still mostly like it, sometimes.
The original belongs to 83 and got stuck there.
The 1992 original is an original in itself. It is a different song, very different, IMO, up-to-date at the time,
just as much as deeply rooted in The Sisters' tradition up to its release, Floodland included. And I like it... ;D :lol: ...

@Pista
Calling that voice a wailing harpy ... :lol: ... of course, the song didn't leave her much opportunity
not to sound somewhat like that, but I think she clearly managed to escape the cliché ... :wink: ...
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Re Ofra Haza vs. The Sisters...

I think Luciano Pavarotti was an amazing singer.
I think The Safety Dance by Men Without Hats is a superb song.

Now put those two together and you have one of the World Wonders, right?

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
Charlie
Slight Overbomber

Leaving aside Ofra's vocals, i really love the 92 version.

I also really like the original but i'm gonna be controversial and say i prefer 92 more. :twisted:
I really wish that version was available without her vocals, now that would be awesome :D

And can i just say @Izzy - i am so pleased to see someone else also has love for The Safety Dance. :lol:
ruffers
Overbomber

Another Safety Dancer over here, great tune.
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

safety dance = check.
TOL 83 is FAR superior to 92, even allowing for our dear departed Ofra's AWESOME ethereal vocals (which definitely only improve '92 ...if '83 wasnt perfect her vocals could improve that but it is perfect so there.)

look - '82 alice is perfect but '93 version has enough good s**t that '82 doesnt that it is totally valid. :von:

EDIT: if eldritch wanted to re-record his entire back catalogue in a barber-shop stylee it wouldnt hurt the originals and would be better than releasing FUCK ALL.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
ruffers
Overbomber

markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Counterpoint

I'm disappointed that The Sisters are playing in Israel.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
ruffers
Overbomber

Me too.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

markfiend wrote:Counterpoint

I'm disappointed that The Sisters are playing in Israel.
So, i guess that USA tour in 2006, and 1991 were also wrong (wars started by USA), in Hungary, when Orban is president, Russia under Putin/Medvedev or Poland under current gov.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

It's not the same thing at all. The people of those countries have not asked for a boycott; the people of Palestine have.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Just to be clear, i think what Isreal's gov. does with Palestinians is horrible and should be condemned, but not playing gigs because citizens of other country ask to do so, well, that's whole new thing. It reminds a bit situation in RSA in 80's.

I could not criticise TSOM and any other band or musicans for playing there, it's up to their free will. After all we can pressume that AE is against what State of Isreal does with Palestinians; and being there allows AE (as well as any other artists), to speak up, say something form stage.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Bartek wrote:Just to be clear, i think what Isreal's gov. does with Palestinians is horrible and should be condemned, but not playing gigs because citizens of other country ask to do so, well, that's whole new thing. It reminds a bit situation in RSA in 80's.
Exactly that is what it is about - Apartheid. In this case, Israeli Apartheid towards Palestinians ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boycott,_ ... _Sanctions
Bartek wrote: I could not criticise TSOM and any other band or musicans for playing there, it's up to their free will. After all we can pressume that AE is against what State of Isreal does with Palestinians; and being there allows AE (as well as any other artists), to speak up, say something form stage.
In the 70s/80s it was also not exactly well perceived for bands to play @Sun City ...

Heaven knows whether that really added up to the end of South African Apartheid, at least it brought the issue into public awareness again and again ... :wink: ...

As for The Sisters, I wish they played Ramallah or Nablus as well ... :D ...
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Thom Furhmann ex- Savage Republic wrote: We play for people so they can forget about their governments for a couple hours. Why should a band punish their fans simply because of where they live! Ridiculous...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I was going to mention Sun City too.

And to be fair, how many Palestinians are likely to be allowed into the Tel-Aviv Club Barby?

But by opposing Israeli policy towards Palestine I'm sure I'm being one of those antisemitic leftists :roll:
—Bertrand Russell
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

That's right, you antisemitic leftist.

I keep wonder, so are you gonna skip TSOM gigs in UK and elsewhere for the sake of protest against their gig in Tel-Aviv? Or no, because it's a different thing. And, was that issue when TSOM played in Isreal in 2006, 'cause i can't recall?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Oh I'd forgotten about them playing there previously :lol:

I'm not going to any of this year's gigs but that's not out of protest, it's because I have no money :lol:
—Bertrand Russell