Some Girls Wander By Mistake (4LP Vinyl Box Set)

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
iesus
Overbomber

Pista wrote:
ribbons69 wrote:[ Why is this on Pledge anyway?
Maybe The Sisters are trying it out before the inevitable ......new album

:innocent:
You don't say :D :D :D :D
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Llamatron
Amphetamine Filth

robertzombie wrote: You'll have noticed that, in the article, I explain how easy it is to press good quality vinyl nowadays. As you say, we have seen that in action with the last 3 reissues. If the next one is sourced from good quality analogue sources then it could be very special. Similarly, those streaming or downloading high-resolution digital versions stand to benefit if the mastering style stays the same as it has been.
Concurred in re: the streaming or downloaded versions and mastering. I'd like to think the vinyl resurgence has had at least some impact on the Loudness War, at least in the rock world. As far as the desirability of download codes included with vinyl, it should be noted that vinyl is not remotely a portable format. Well, LPs themselves are, it's just that a turntable, phono preamp, and pair of Adam A7Xs is pretty difficult to haul around on public transportation. I'll stick with Focal Spirit Pros and my dodgy old phone with a 32GB memory card. :lol:
Left at the dead badger.
Cedarjet
Amphetamine Filth

robertzombie wrote:
Pista wrote:
robertzombie wrote:Why are they not necessary? There are many reasons why this reissue could better a) the original compilation (easily) and b) the original singles. Similarly, where is the sense in owning a bunch of records all cut at the same time in the '90s when vinyl QC was at an all time low, but not having an interest in the recent advances made in vinyl cutting or indeed A/D conversion wrt the digital release?
That's quite an interesting comment considering what you published here (which I thought was an excellent piece BTW).
I'm guessing the '90s saw the labels trying to herd us all into converting to CD & so their focus was on the "new" medium.
Today, like it or not, there is still a huge focus on streaming & digital copies, even to the extent that many re-issues come with download codes so people don't need to get their new platter out of the sleeve.
So, despite the advances in cutting tech & A/D conversion, it's questionable that pressing quality control is any better than 30 years ago.
That said, the last batch of Sisters re-issues were indeed very good & if that standard is maintained, this new set could be an eye opener. Let's hope so. :)
You'll have noticed that, in the article, I explain how easy it is to press good quality vinyl nowadays. As you say, we have seen that in action with the last 3 reissues. If the next one is sourced from good quality analogue sources then it could be very special. Similarly, those streaming or downloading high-resolution digital versions stand to benefit if the mastering style stays the same as it has been.
As you seem to be an expert on recording quality, I trust your opinion that the re-issues really are an improvement. But:
1. if your equipment is pretty standard (like mine), is there such an improvement that it's worth the investment?
2. a song such as "Damage Done", recorded on the most basic recording equipment sounds like crap in the original...I think it would still sound like crap on 240 g vinyl and fully remastered.
3. nobody buys bootlegs for the sound quality..suppose most people (like me) buy them because of unrelesed songs or as souvenir of a concert they attended. Agreed most are s**t.
Trying is the first step towards failure
(Homer Simpson)
robertzombie
Overbomber

Cedarjet wrote:
robertzombie wrote:
Pista wrote: That's quite an interesting comment considering what you published here (which I thought was an excellent piece BTW).
I'm guessing the '90s saw the labels trying to herd us all into converting to CD & so their focus was on the "new" medium.
Today, like it or not, there is still a huge focus on streaming & digital copies, even to the extent that many re-issues come with download codes so people don't need to get their new platter out of the sleeve.
So, despite the advances in cutting tech & A/D conversion, it's questionable that pressing quality control is any better than 30 years ago.
That said, the last batch of Sisters re-issues were indeed very good & if that standard is maintained, this new set could be an eye opener. Let's hope so. :)
You'll have noticed that, in the article, I explain how easy it is to press good quality vinyl nowadays. As you say, we have seen that in action with the last 3 reissues. If the next one is sourced from good quality analogue sources then it could be very special. Similarly, those streaming or downloading high-resolution digital versions stand to benefit if the mastering style stays the same as it has been.
As you seem to be an expert on recording quality, I trust your opinion that the re-issues really are an improvement. But:
1. if your equipment is pretty standard (like mine), is there such an improvement that it's worth the investment?
2. a song such as "Damage Done", recorded on the most basic recording equipment sounds like crap in the original...I think it would still sound like crap on 240 g vinyl and fully remastered.
3. nobody buys bootlegs for the sound quality..suppose most people (like me) buy them because of unrelesed songs or as souvenir of a concert they attended. Agreed most are s**t.
1. It depends on your equipment, hearing acuity, familiarity with the recordings, quality of the release (which we haven't heard yet)
2. I want to hear The Damage Done in a way that is transparent to the original master tape. I don't care how simple the recording is. My interest is in getting as close to the original recorded sound as possible. We know that the existing SGWBM compilation does not achieve that. Hopefully the new one will.
3. I understand that, I'm just surprised that fans are often more than happy to shell out for bootlegs but have very little interest when the actual songs could potentially be heard in a more accurate presentation.
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

It would be nice to have a version of the Damage Done that actually sounds like the original, not the heavily compressed muffled version that is on SGWBM.
That would almost make it worth buying!
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Llamatron
Amphetamine Filth

robertzombie wrote: 2. I want to hear The Damage Done in a way that is transparent to the original master tape. I don't care how simple the recording is. My interest is in getting as close to the original recorded sound as possible.
This shouldn't be too difficult assuming the original 1/4" or 1/2" 2-track master is available. Straight through the cleanest A/D one can find at 24/96 (does anyone worth talking to really care about 192?). No compression or EQ. Whether it's what they were hearing in the studio upon playback... Well, that's a different animal entirely. (I suppose put a console in line, or use Burl A/Ds? Sorry; studio geek here.)
Left at the dead badger.
robertzombie
Overbomber

Llamatron wrote:
robertzombie wrote: 2. I want to hear The Damage Done in a way that is transparent to the original master tape. I don't care how simple the recording is. My interest is in getting as close to the original recorded sound as possible.
This shouldn't be too difficult assuming the original 1/4" or 1/2" 2-track master is available. Straight through the cleanest A/D one can find at 24/96 (does anyone worth talking to really care about 192?). No compression or EQ. Whether it's what they were hearing in the studio upon playback... Well, that's a different animal entirely. (I suppose put a console in line, or use Burl A/Ds? Sorry; studio geek here.)
Yep, that's what I want!
Cedarjet
Amphetamine Filth

robertzombie wrote:
Cedarjet wrote:
robertzombie wrote: You'll have noticed that, in the article, I explain how easy it is to press good quality vinyl nowadays. As you say, we have seen that in action with the last 3 reissues. If the next one is sourced from good quality analogue sources then it could be very special. Similarly, those streaming or downloading high-resolution digital versions stand to benefit if the mastering style stays the same as it has been.
1. It depends on your equipment, hearing acuity, familiarity with the recordings, quality of the release (which we haven't heard yet)
2. I want to hear The Damage Done in a way that is transparent to the original master tape. I don't care how simple the recording is. My interest is in getting as close to the original recorded sound as possible. We know that the existing SGWBM compilation does not achieve that. Hopefully the new one will.
3. I understand that, I'm just surprised that fans are often more than happy to shell out for bootlegs but have very little interest when the actual songs could potentially be heard in a more accurate presentation.

Back from holidays reunited with my record player I gave all versions of The Damage Done I got (except the SGWBM tape) a test run :) My opinion:

1. The original (labels on correct sides...). Really sounds best as far as you can say that with the equipment it was recorded on and 2 young musicians showing their early talent...
2. A clear second place goes to the "Japanese" bootleg. Sounds pretty much like the original.
3. SGWBM CD version
4. The Australian 2009 bootleg. Seems to be taken from the CD.
5. The "Primary" bootleg. Quite OK, but not too impressing.
6. A disappointing 6th rank in my opinion to the SGWBM vinyl. Agree it sounds muffled.
Trying is the first step towards failure
(Homer Simpson)
Drsisters
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

robertzombie wrote:
Llamatron wrote:
Yep, that's what I want!
I doub't they have any old masters ^^ Since I know atleast two master tapes are in private possession...
Andrew Eldritch Dour Festival 1997: Yeah, We take any request... As much as we ever do.
robertzombie
Overbomber

"Preparing for dispatch".
waterisnat
Road Kill

I picked up a copy in my local disc emporium this evening... They must have sensed I was stopping by.
Going out tonight but managed a quick look. Three covers, one gatefold (obviously), and Under The Gun has the poster that came with the original limited edition 12".

Will be playing the discs tomorrow night but look forward to downloading the hi-res files from Qobuz in the morning. Did anybody notice? They're advertising them as "24bit 384kHz"... WTF?
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

The first two remasters are available for nowt if you have Amazons subscription service (so technically not for nowt) Amazon Unlimited so hopefully this will be up there soon.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
robertzombie
Overbomber

robertzombie
Overbomber

waterisnat wrote: Will be playing the discs tomorrow night but look forward to downloading the hi-res files from Qobuz in the morning. Did anybody notice? They're advertising them as "24bit 384kHz"... WTF?
LOL, now that's a waste of space!
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Also available on Amazon Unlimited now if you have the service. (As is the splendid new album from Terminal Gods )
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Drsisters

downloaded Alice to compare to the old SGWBM... Sounds like they done a needledrop :roll: :roll: I am certainly not impressed.
Andrew Eldritch Dour Festival 1997: Yeah, We take any request... As much as we ever do.
mh
Above the Chemist

On the other hand, Kiss the Carpet (Reprise) is restored to it's full glory.

So far I've only listened to MP3s on crappy headphones so can't really give a proper quality assessment.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
robertzombie
Overbomber

Some technical info:
This was mastered at 24/96. Anything above that is an upsample.
DR figures: http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/134723
robertzombie
Overbomber

Quick listen: these are obviously the same needledrops as before!
TheBoyNextDoor

Disappointing.. but not very surprised to be honest..
Arrrgh!
Amphetamine Filth

On the plus side, some work appears to have been done on the Sister's Spotify page.

Last week sometime, the file for Temple of Love 92 was overwritten by the original 1983 version. I noticed it when a playlist I had going suddenly replaced the 'new' version with the old.

For a few weeks, the 'new' version wasn't available.

The launch of the new Some Girls Wander on Spotify has brought it back and sorted out the confusion. It also means that some Sisters tracks that weren't available before now are - Alice 93, Under the Gun (Jutland mix) and so on.

Also, unless I'm very much mistaken, a lot of the old singles have now been uploaded with B-sides intact.
Do I drive or am I driven?
Randall Flagg
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

TheBoyNextDoor wrote:Disappointing.. but not very surprised to be honest..
not listened to it yet - Amazon have managed to damage the sleeves and box in the packing stage (as the outer was A - OK).

F
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Is it worth opening the box?
Goths have feelings too
Randall Flagg
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

paint it black wrote:Is it worth opening the box?
hell yeah, gotta love the smell of fresh vinyl in morning!

F
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

looking forward to receiving my copy of "shine like thunder"... :innocent: :von:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat: