Blade Runner 2049

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Zacharias
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I have tried to stay clear from any news regarding this since I will, no matter what, see the coming sequel. Yesterday I caught a glimpse of two of the actors who will be in it. First I thought the choice for actor, for who I guess will portray the Deckard-equivalent, was brilliant but after a moment I got a bit worried about if it's just the pretty face they're after. Hope not. I think it will be good.

Anyway...after that I continued to watch the first prequel short ("Nexus Dawn") and was quite underwhelmed. I hope this won't be the general feeling or dialogue style of the movie. I also hope there won't be this "super-villain" kind of character (but I guess they have to in these days of marvel super hero movies...).

Nexus Dawn: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgsS3nhRRzQ

What do you guys think?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I'm not going to watch it. I've had enough of Ridley Scott pissing on his own accomplishments.

Edit: Oh I thought RS was still directing BR2049 - still, you get the drift.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Charlie
Slight Overbomber

When i first heard about a new Blade Runner film my heart did sink!
I too have tried to avoid the news and hype. This is one of my favourite movies and it's brave person that tries to take this on, but i'm trying to remain optimistic - Twin Peaks was my fav ever tv show and that revisit was a success for me, so there's hope for this!

The original neo-noir look and vangelis soundtrack are so amazing and iconic - it will be interesting to see what direction they take there.

As for Ryan Gosling - not sure - i avoid Rom-Coms and 'La La Land' type stuff, so not seen much of him, but i did see 'Drive' and he wasn't bad so hope he wins me over.

He'll never be as good as Ford - LEGEND! :notworthy: (the new young Han Solo movie is something i can't even think about yet :lol: )

Watched Nexus Dawn --hhmmn, not much to go on, doesn't seem anything too special? but i'll wait to watch the other two upcoming shorts and see what they bring!
Zacharias

markfiend wrote:I'm not going to watch it. I've had enough of Ridley Scott pissing on his own accomplishments.

Edit: Oh I thought RS was still directing BR2049 - still, you get the drift.
Could not stand Prometheus. Haven't seen the Alien thingy. Doubt I will. Maybe if hung over...Very hung over.
Ridley Scott can just go and...stop producing movies.
Charlie wrote: As for Ryan Gosling - not sure - i avoid Rom-Coms and 'La La Land' type stuff, so not seen much of him, but i did see 'Drive' and he wasn't bad so hope he wins me over.
Drive is my reference as well for Gosling! For good and worse...good movie, but doubtful if that kind of style will suit in the new BR. Ghhh...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

wikipedia wrote:Premise
A new Blade Runner, LAPD Officer K, discovers a dark secret that could bring an end to humanity. The discovery leads him to Rick Deckard, a former blade runner who disappeared thirty years ago.
There is no way Deckard from the original Blade Runner would still be alive after 30 years. They only live for about four years.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Pista
Cureboi

markfiend wrote:
A new Blade Runner, LAPD Officer K, discovers a dark secret that could bring an end to humanity. The discovery leads him to Rick Deckard, a former blade runner who disappeared thirty years ago.
There is no way Deckard from the original Blade Runner would still be alive after 30 years. They only live for about four years.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Zacharias

markfiend wrote:
Wait! What!? You're saing Deckard is a...gasp...replicant!?!?!? :lol:
GC
Slight Overbomber

I'll probably go and see it...just because.

Fords acting over the last twenty years has been very wooden imo.

The definitief remake has already been made anyway...Red Dwarf 9 :lol:
Zacharias

I've only seen him recently in that Star Wars flick...and I must say that I enjoyed it.

Funny saying he's "wooden" thinking of his background btw, he he.
Burning 'cross the breeze.
Pista
Cureboi

Off to see it tonight.
17 minutes shy of 3 hours! :eek:
No beerage before hand then.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Saw it - loved it. Gosling is actually good at the Deckard role, i.e. emotionally withdrawn and detached. The film is beautiful, the soundtrack disquieting, and the plot vague, menacing and full of questions.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

I heard only good reviews (although not about acting), but i read mixed review from a friend - that sequel doesn't hold quality of original. And after reading about plot (main reason what K have to do and why) is just pure nonsens.
iesus
Overbomber

Directing: Excellent, i like the rythm, pace in unveil of story
Photography: 10/10
Montage-Editing: Very good job
Acting Gossling: Something is missing in his acting :roll:
Acting HF: Excellent but his dialogues where written on foot (not so good lines) but that's a Scenario thing
Acting Others: Good Job
CGI's: Excellent
Scenario - Writers : Could do a better job..
That was my view of watching BR2049. Worths a view.
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
ruffers
Overbomber

Pista wrote:Off to see it tonight.
17 minutes shy of 3 hours! :eek:
No beerage before hand then.
You want this then -

http://runpee.com/

Probably the app in the world (in this context anyway)
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
culprit
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

My recommendation is...
JUST GO SEE IT.
Do what I did... watch the original on DVD, then go to the biggest screen you can find and watch it.
No trailers, reviews or gossip.

It was amazing - the visuals, the music, the story and effects.
After half an hour you realize it is going to be OK - they haven't messed it up like I thought they would - and whats more they have made a great standalone film.
...mmmmmmmmmMMMMMM!....
Pista
Cureboi

Just got back and have to say wow! Just wow!
What a brilliantly done film absolutely dripping in quality both artistically and technically.
Fiendy. I know you said you were going to give it a miss but I strongly recommend you get to see it on a massive screen. You will love it I promise.
Oh & K has got the best Cortana assistant evvah! :lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
UniversalRinging
Amphetamine Filth

First of all, thanks for not spoiling a thing. I was very bummed out at the prospect of a remake and even more bummed out at the casting, but now I'm starting to hear good things from friends too. Think I'll play hooky tomorrow morning and catch it in a theater. Fingers crossed!
Big Si
School Bully

Pista wrote:Oh & K has got the best Cortana assistant evvah! :lol:
She's lovely isn't she? ;D :kiss:

Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Pista
Cureboi

She is certainly easy on the eye & she looks incredibly familiar, but I cannot for the life of me think why.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
UniversalRinging
Amphetamine Filth

Saw it, been mulling it over for the past day or so. I think I'm with iesus. The score and visuals are really remarkable. The pace too. I like how Villeneuve took his time. It unfolds like a dream. It's competently acted, though no performance stands out and the dialogue isn't the best. The story's neither here nor there. But it's so beautiful and the mood is so captivating, I enjoyed it very much nonetheless. Big screen and loud speakers heightened that.
Zacharias

UniversalRinging wrote:Saw it, been mulling it over for the past day or so. I think I'm with iesus. The score and visuals are really remarkable. The pace too. I like how Villeneuve took his time. It unfolds like a dream. It's competently acted, though no performance stands out and the dialogue isn't the best. The story's neither here nor there. But it's so beautiful and the mood is so captivating, I enjoyed it very much nonetheless. Big screen and loud speakers heightened that.
This is exactly what I've been expecting (not had time to see it yet). For some reason I'm thinking it will be like Refns Drive/Only God Forgives. Drive was good, OGF was just visuals.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I think I will relent and go see it. :lol:
—Bertrand Russell