How broad is your band

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
CorpPunk
Pirate of Penzance

Black Planet wrote:
CorpPunk wrote:I'll just shut up and get my bloody harness on, then.
LOL CP you will like it. I do. Lots. :wink: god leg action.......you know what I mean?
:lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy:

I love it when you talk dirty to me! :kiss: :wink:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

i have tiscali 512k adsl, about 30 quid a month i seem to recall. had it for about a year now. been pretty smashing so far ;)

also, look for offers where they will give you the adsl modem free as part of the deal ;)
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

hmm will do some shopping.. CP burning your Mera Luna... now...

He's luscious.
CorpPunk
Pirate of Penzance

Quiff Boy wrote: also, look for offers where they will give you the adsl modem free as part of the deal ;)
Hey, that's what I said! Does this mean I'm an honorary tekkie? Does this mean I'd want to be an honorary tekkie?!?! :roll:
CorpPunk
Pirate of Penzance

Black Planet wrote:hmm will do some shopping.. CP burning your Mera Luna... now...

He's luscious.
You're a star!!! :P 8)
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

CorpPunk wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote: also, look for offers where they will give you the adsl modem free as part of the deal ;)
Hey, that's what I said! Does this mean I'm an honorary tekkie? Does this mean I'd want to be an honorary tekkie?!?! :roll:
yes, and yes.

just dont tell johnny boy ;)
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

dont jam on him
CorpPunk
Pirate of Penzance

Quiff Boy wrote:
CorpPunk wrote:
yes, and yes.

[stage whisper] OK, then, should I expect my badge in the post? [/stage whisper]

:P
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Black Planet wrote:dont jam on him
umm, lost something in the translation that one bp. que? :D
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

CorpPunk wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote:
CorpPunk wrote: Hey, that's what I said! Does this mean I'm an honorary tekkie? Does this mean I'd want to be an honorary tekkie?!?! :roll:
yes, and yes.

[stage whisper] OK, then, should I expect my badge in the post? [/stage whisper]

hal is the official supplier of geek badges - better ask him ;) :P
James Blast
Banned

AOL dial up (28k) for 4 years, then a year of twice as fast all on an original Bondai iMac, It sucked! Now on an G4 Quicksilver with NTL broadband. So far, so good but £40 a month for telly, phone and internet access. Nae chat rooms either :( but HL has more than made up for that. :D
I like it, with reservations.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

no commemt on JB.

Sorrry.
CellThree
Slight Overbomber

ok, in the UK you get 2 main types of broadband. One through BT lines and the other through NTL.

NTL is 35 pound a month for a 600k line. This includes line rental for your normal phone line as well as the broadband connection. This will give you a download speed of max 65k/sec. You can get a 1mb line which means you'll get a download speed of about 150kb/sec (I think). You get a modem for free (or at least I did).

BT do a 512kb line that has similar figures. They have just launched their 1mb line as well. I think the price is roughly similar. The way this works is your phone line is split so one side does your phone and the other does your Broadband. You have to buy the modem or hire one. They are quite pricey.

For comparison, a dial-up connection you get a 48k connection and a download speed of around 4-5k/sec.

for example a 1mb file would take no more than 15 seconds to download on Broadband, it would take 3 mins on Dialup.

There are loads of other companies that can offer broadband

You start to see the advantages?

As for the States i don't know BP, if you let me know the area you live in I'll see if I know some people there (I have some friends who run computer shops in the States) who may either be able to help or supply you with prices and companies that will give you what you want. Also, it is probably known more as DSL or ADSL in the States rather than Broadband.

For comparison, when I was in Canada I had a 1mb ADSL line and was charged 17 pound a month for it. Go figure.

I'll have a hunt for you BP and see what companies there are in your area and see if I can find some recommentations for you.
24.24.2.489 Deceased
Dan
Overbomber

Red Sunsets wrote:Now on an G4 Quicksilver with NTL...
...Nae chat rooms either :(
Why no chatrooms. I'm on NTL and I can do chatrooms. If an isp prevented me from accessing certain parts of the web I'd ditch it pronto. As far as I know NTL don't prevent you from doing anything.
sleeplogic
Road Kill

Black Planet wrote:Ok then what do I get? My cable company adverts broad band.... but it like $50 a month to my $23 now....

Ok yeah I am thrifty.... but ...huh why double the cost?
Dear BP,

You know all those things on the internet that you can't do... like watching full screen movie trailers, or hearing an MP3 as soon as you click the link, or not waiting a whole afternoon for sites like http://www.homestarrunner.com/ to load up :(. You can do all that stuff with broadband. And you can do it all while you're on the phone at the same time.

I just got a DSL connection about 2 weeks ago and it made me realize how much stuff there is to do on the net. It will always be more expensive than dial-up, but I bet you could find it for less than $50 with a little shopping around.

It's more money for more speed, and if it means that when I retire I have to eat cat food because I spent my savings on broadband, then I'll just think back on all the wonderfull times I had watching Flash animation and it will be okay.

sleeplogic
hallucienate
Overbomber

Quiff Boy wrote:
CorpPunk wrote:
Quiff Boy wrote: yes, and yes.

hal is the official supplier of geek badges - better ask him ;) :P
A duty I take quite seroiusly! We can't go around letting people call themselves geeks just because they feel like it.

But I'll hand one to Corpy on Quiffy's recommendation.

I don't have a broadband connection at home, I get all I need out of my work's bandwidth. ADSL here is a bit of a joke. It costs an equivalent of US $100 per month, has a 3 gig per month limit and international traffic is restricted. :roll: :roll:

There is a new wireless service being launched here next month which is cheaper and has no cap, but they require you to sign a 24 month contract :roll: :roll:

Taking into account that I only spend about 2-3 nights a week at home and the boss doesn't mind me exploiting dead time bandwidth it's not worth the money.
Candover Premiere
Road Kill

Thank you for the on topic replies. I have been told that BT are poor, and tisclai are owned by the mafia. Eclipse (based on asking some of the IT folk at work) is supposed to be good. Any views?

Shame that I will essentially have to pay £350 a year for a work driven expense.

@BP. The advantage of broad band is that we can sent up a webcam link when you put on your harness and spank CP.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Candover Premiere wrote:Thank you for the on topic replies. I have been told that BT are poor, and tisclai are owned by the mafia. Eclipse (based on asking some of the IT folk at work) is supposed to be good. Any views?

Shame that I will essentially have to pay £350 a year for a work driven expense.

@BP. The advantage of broad band is that we can sent up a webcam link when you put on your harness and spank CP.
smashin! are you taking credit card subscriptions yet? ;) :innocent:
MAtT
Road Kill

did someone say they are on AOL?

*cough splutter* Use anything but them!

I use the old NTL cable 512/128 service and haven't had any problems with it. Their customer support is notoriously crap - but the service itself is pretty good.

If you pay TWICE the amount for broadband than you do for dial-up - consider that broadband is at least 10 times faster than dial-up, do the math, then tell me which one is the rip-off.
Black Planet
Andrew's Love Goddess

Well it just goes to show, I have not yet reached total geek status. Thank god for small miricles, I think.

And thanks to all for your comments. Very informative thread.
Dan
Overbomber

Once you've got your broadband installed and got a bunch of mp3's how about this mp3 player. What will they think of next! :roll: :eek: :D
CorpPunk
Pirate of Penzance

Whew. I certainly got a lot out of this thread...and I didn't even start it!

DerekR
Doobie Brother

CellThree wrote:ok, in the UK you get 2 main types of broadband. One through BT lines and the other through NTL.
<cough> blueyonder!

I'm with them. I've had broadband since day one about 4 years ago (my username ends in 0001 - I was first in my postcode area to get it <-- geek or what?). Started off on 512K and am now on 1Mb. I took part in a 2Mb trial last year but the buggers wanted £50 a month for it when the trial was over so I dropped back down to 1Mb and am currently paying £30 per month for it.

Could NOT do without it now.
James Blast
Banned

Dan wrote:
Red Sunsets wrote:Now on an G4 Quicksilver with NTL...
...Nae chat rooms either :(
Why no chatrooms.
Hi Dan, I meant no inbuilt chats like AOL has, have you heard of http://www.chetnet.co.uk/portal/? An old AOL buddy who moved to NTL before I did, had a lot of teething trouble to begin with till she heard about that site, apparently it's an 'unofficial' NTL Unix/MacCentric forum moderated by some NTL Techies.
"And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what's after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it's a frightening thought to go nowhere".
~ Peter Steele
Big Si
School Bully

ntl 600K for £12 a month. It's that cheap because I'm an "employee" :roll:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis