Was/Is Gary Marx a tough guy?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Mothra
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Maybe it's just because he's in the same photos as Andrew a lot of the time, but he looks like he's built of strong stuff. Saw a photo of him at the recent Psychedelic Furs gig and he still looks as if he can pack a punch.

I know who I'd have stood behind if I was Ben and it all kicked off at one of the early gigs. :lol:
AdrenaChris
Amphetamine Filth

Andrew, Wayne and Craig all look around the same height in the RAH video. We know Andrew's on the short side, maybe Marx was the only tall one :P
Swinnow
Overbomber

None of them were, or are, big blokes.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

Swinnow wrote:None of them were, or are, big blokes.
But they could all look after themselves, and stood up for what they believed in, like taking on the Nazi in Maastricht in 1984, the spitters in Oslo 85, the angry mob at the Black Flag gig in NYC '84, and dealing with numerous stage invasions and bottles/chairs thrown on stage in the 81-85 period. Craig was particularly handy with that bass! The only "defeat" was Von's alleged fencing humiliation against Flesh For Lulu's Rocco. :roll:
Swinnow
Overbomber

I think most inner city northerners of a similar early-80's vintage had to have an element of street smart about them. I always found them quite polite and friendly when I chanced on them in the student ghetto in the early days. But then I was about a foot taller lol
Somekindadion
Road Kill

Fact
Gary Marx was and still is well over 6 ft and built like a brick house . Anyone who thinks he is small needs to go to spec savers . When I met him he was about an inch shorter than me 6 ft 5 and about sane build 18 stone . Go figure
Swinnow
Overbomber

Oh dear, can of t'werms tine. In the words of the great God Rafa... Facht... I often wore my glasses, even the early 80's and often the nonReactolite ones lol. I was still taller than Mr Marx/Pearson :). I was worse than him as a guitarist though but had better shirts :)
Somekindadion
Road Kill

Lol then you would have seen he is not a small man .
Sure you shirts were lovely and colourful as were mine . .
Swinnow
Overbomber

All things are relative my friend, ask him if he recalls my bright yellow drainpipes and cheesecloth shirts in the old Fav and Phono/Warehouse silly days lol. I had hair then too :)
Somekindadion
Road Kill

How could you not forget those lol .
Look forward to sharing a beverage with you some time and we can share stories of ale , mighty battles at the front and rock n roll Lizzy and all
Swinnow
Overbomber

Oh jeez, I had forgotten the skitting about the Thin Lizzy shirt, well I was 18 and from Merseyland lol. Great band and good times la
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Get a room! :kiss: :lol:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Swinnow
Overbomber

Meowwww lol
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Sorry ;D
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Swinnow
Overbomber

Behave, it was funny Mr Mark :)
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Good, thanks :lol:
—Bertrand Russell
Drsisters

AE is quite deadly with his mic stand, ask the reporter who got hit in the head, Berlin 98. He even got wanted by Interpol when the German Police couldn't get hold of him :D :D :D
Andrew Eldritch Dour Festival 1997: Yeah, We take any request... As much as we ever do.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Swinnow wrote:... Mr Marx/Pearson ...
for the record Gary Marx's real name is Mark Pearman and he isnt -as far as i know- any relation to later guitarist Adam Pearson. phew, that feels better ... ;D
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Original GS
Road Kill

Mark's a big lad, but not a giant. Whilst he's always been an absolute gent whenever I've been around him, I've also heard some (unverified) tales and I really wouldn't mess with him.

Craig just didn't give a f**k about anyone who wanted it. Straight into that wanker at the Peterborough gig in 83
Thanks to Pontiac Detroit and the citizens of Wakefield
Mothra

Swinnow wrote:I think most inner city northerners of a similar early-80's vintage had to have an element of street smart about them
Liking how this thread doesn't quite go away :)

As a fully paid up member of the Southern Softie Club (mid-90s vintage), I think you are on to something there. There's been references in the past to Andrew carrying a steel bar up his sleeve just in case he needed it, I can well imagine that people knew how to take care of themselves.

I ended up trawling Facebook to see if I could find the picture from the Furs gig that prompted me to ask the question, but it's an endless and fruitless task.

But any excuse to re-watch Craig dishing it out at Peterborough is always welcome.
Original GS
Road Kill

"There's been references in the past to Andrew carrying a steel bar up his sleeve just in case he needed it"

He once got chinned in the Warehouse by half of the Leeds 80s electro-pop duo, Vicious Pink. I think it involved him paying too much attention to the other half of the same electro-pop duo....[/b][/quote]
Thanks to Pontiac Detroit and the citizens of Wakefield
mh
Above the Chemist

Original GS wrote:"There's been references in the past to Andrew carrying a steel bar up his sleeve just in case he needed it"

He once got chinned in the Warehouse by half of the Leeds 80s electro-pop duo, Vicious Pink. I think it involved him paying too much attention to the other half of the same electro-pop duo....
So rumour had it, yes; rumour also had it that said other half of Vicious Pink (and not the oft-assumed Claire) was the actual subject of Nine While Nine and Driven Like The Snow.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
jparton
Road Kill

I can see now where the Mighty Boosh got the idea for Future Sailors.

If only they had used Von getting chinned instead of Robert Smith's tears in the goff episode...
Mothra

Nikolas Vitus Lagartija wrote:
Swinnow wrote:None of them were, or are, big blokes.
But they could all look after themselves ... The only "defeat" was Von's alleged fencing humiliation against Flesh For Lulu's Rocco. :roll:
But now rumours of another defeat for Von. Evidence is mounting that Gary Marx was/is indeed a tasty fellow, we have video of Craig sorting out a situation, where are the tales of Andrew being victorious :innocent:

All of the above written in the knowledge that despite being 20 years older than me, nearly a foot shorter, he would surely kick my ass even with one hand tied behind his back :lol: