I was wrong

Got any interesting thoughts on a set of lyrics? Any that don't involve the word "indeed"? Find yourself struggling to decipher all those obtuse references Von makes? Read "1959 And All That" and still no clearer? Nope, us neither. Postcards found lying in a skip around the back of the Chemists can be found here... Don't say you weren't warned.
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

Joy wrote:It is the journalist indeed saying this opinion but I think an agreement from Von was necessary before the release. But who knows maybe 25 years ago the journalist could write something very different from what had been said in reality.
Journalists have always written something very different from what's been said in reality.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
LyanvisAberrant
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

million voices wrote:Isn't "The bar that's always closing" etc line mean that him and the ex always end up shouting at each other?
Always been my favourite line of the song. It's magical.
A man with a fictitious grin pondered the terrain in which he flooded with anguish, for this is England. The lion cannot be tamed, this is the game.
kafka
Amphetamine Filth

It's a great song, a great lyric. There's so much in there that can be read five different ways. For example, "You say we're almost all alone together": are we almost all alone -- or are we almost all alone? Is it a world where people shout, so he doesn't want to talk it over - or are people shouting "I don't want to talk it over"?
[repeat x40]
Guedzilla
Amphetamine Filth
Location: At the place where the bars never close (not that soon, at least)

rien wrote: That's how I'm hearing it, too, however I dimly recall seeing a post on here claiming that the song was about a guitarist who'd always hook up with other women behind his girlfriend's back when he was on tour.
Wasn't that When you don't see me?
Introducing....Gothzilla?!?
EvilBastard
Overbomber

kafka wrote:It's a great song, a great lyric. There's so much in there that can be read five different ways. For example, "You say we're almost all alone together": are we almost all alone -- or are we almost all alone? Is it a world where people shout, so he doesn't want to talk it over - or are people shouting "I don't want to talk it over"?
There's also "We're almost all alone, together" - i.e. when we're together, we're still all alone, there's no "relationship", we're just two people who happen to do the same things. This ties back to the idea of the r'ship being moribund.
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
Joy
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Select Magazine 1991

"Music is there to enrich your life and make you aware of things in a slightly different way."
stufarq
Popweazle Piddlepoop

"I don't really seem to get on with people. I don't know whether you've noticed."

Nah, never crossed our minds, Andy. :lol:

Cheers, Joy.
Any more of that and we'll be round your front door with the quick-setting whitewash and the shaved monkey.
AdrenaChris
Amphetamine Filth

"You say stay and never leave, you say meant forever" - but she doesn't. Relationships are transient by design.

"I could believe you but I don't" - inside, he gets it. He's done maintaining the illusion.

"You say you will, I know you won't" - of course not :wink:

"In a bar that's always closing..." - such a beautiful metaphor tying all the concepts together.

"I don't want to talk this over" - words are meaningless, especially at this late stage.

"I was quite impressed until I hit the floor" - brings a knowing cynical grin to my face every time I hear it.

"Pain looks great on other men/people" - Are you me, Andrew?

"I was wrong to ever doubt/I can get along without" - speaks for itself IMO.

"I can love my fellow man, but I'm damned if I'll love yours" - Ouch.
Chaotican
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

A petty jab at an ex? I knew I shouldn’t have clicked, yet how could I resist a fairly fresh analysis of a song that has made it into my playlists for the last few weeks. Juxtaposing nicely with Under The Gun, in fact, except I think you’re probably all correct. (Which kind of validates my interpretation in a morbid way, but that’s a silent thought for a more sober hour.)

Still, I’ll offer my take.

I hear a self-deception that has inevitably crumbled. The conversation is with oneself as a respite from isolation gives way to reality. The giddy haze of a willing delusion, making plans and imagining “meant forever�. Trading clarity and truth for a temporary bout of hope just for a break in the monotony of existence.

But it only works if the hope is genuine. Even just for a moment. If you can doubt your solitude for long enough to spark a genuine experience of an imaginary better place. Before you admit you were wrong and go about carrying on without that impossible beauty.

I hear “I can love my fellow man, but I’m damned if I’ll love yours� as a condemnation of humanity in general. Either there is a mythical elevated species that the narrator believes he belongs to or else it is a cynical acknowledgment that we are all doomed to flounder around as these meat-based creatures who evolved not to achieve lofty ideals but to survive. In the latter case, the song is an inner dialogue. The Self can only love its own creations, which can never manifest for long in a fellow human.

The comfort we seek from each other is also hollow. I don’t want to talk this over. I don’t want to play the role of the wounded while we run through the tedious social conventions and bonding rituals of sympathy and comfort. That may be what friends are for, but it is yet another element I can get along without.

In short, disappointment but also a homecoming to a place of reality and strength. Until next time, assuming an ever lengthening refractory period allows for such a thing.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

This is about von not getting his end away

A bar that's always closing is his girlfriend's fanny flaps, like them saloon doors in the spaghetti westerns
Goths have feelings too
Charlie
Slight Overbomber

paint it black wrote:This is about von not getting his end away

A bar that's always closing is his girlfriend's fanny flaps, like them saloon doors in the spaghetti westerns
I love looking through this forum over a brew in the morning, one minute you can be reading some great in-depth, thought provoking comments over which to contemplate ....... and then there's 'fanny flaps' in the next post!

:lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy:
Chaotican
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Choose your fellow man wisely, Charlie!

(I’d opt for PiB if you can.)
MelodyLee
Road Kill

Chaotican wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 04:25 A petty jab at an ex? I knew I shouldn’t have clicked, yet how could I resist a fairly fresh analysis of a song that has made it into my playlists for the last few weeks. Juxtaposing nicely with Under The Gun, in fact, except I think you’re probably all correct. (Which kind of validates my interpretation in a morbid way, but that’s a silent thought for a more sober hour.)

Still, I’ll offer my take.

I hear a self-deception that has inevitably crumbled. The conversation is with oneself as a respite from isolation gives way to reality. The giddy haze of a willing delusion, making plans and imagining “meant forever�. Trading clarity and truth for a temporary bout of hope just for a break in the monotony of existence.

But it only works if the hope is genuine. Even just for a moment. If you can doubt your solitude for long enough to spark a genuine experience of an imaginary better place. Before you admit you were wrong and go about carrying on without that impossible beauty.

I hear “I can love my fellow man, but I’m damned if I’ll love yours� as a condemnation of humanity in general. Either there is a mythical elevated species that the narrator believes he belongs to or else it is a cynical acknowledgment that we are all doomed to flounder around as these meat-based creatures who evolved not to achieve lofty ideals but to survive. In the latter case, the song is an inner dialogue. The Self can only love its own creations, which can never manifest for long in a fellow human.

The comfort we seek from each other is also hollow. I don’t want to talk this over. I don’t want to play the role of the wounded while we run through the tedious social conventions and bonding rituals of sympathy and comfort. That may be what friends are for, but it is yet another element I can get along without.

In short, disappointment but also a homecoming to a place of reality and strength. Until next time, assuming an ever lengthening refractory period allows for such a thing.
this is exactly how i would've interpreted the song, but i wouldn't have been able to put into words. I prefer this interpretation much more than thinking that it's 'just' a breakup song. I'm glad I'm not the only one who hears it like this. :)
about three inches under your chin
Pista
Cureboi

Hello @MelodyLee & welcome to :hl:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity