Paint My Name In Black and Gold: The Next Phase

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
MAndrews
Amphetamine Filth

Swinnow wrote:Indeed, though I would never have described the 80s Fav as Victorian. Could they have meant the Royal Park?
I think you might be right: it might not be the Fav, the 'local' in 1982. It's website says "Est. 1947". Is that when it was built or when it became a hotel? Don't know. Could it be that John Ashton has mis-identified the era of the Fav? Possibly. Actually, does it matter? Which pub it was is the least relevant bit of that story ... I'll cut that out.
Swinnow
Overbomber

Certainly in '82 some of the Sisters were often seen in the Fav, but it couldn't be described as Victorian. The Royal Park, near the Brudenell Social Club, deep in the student ghetto, certainly meets that description. Plus it is far closer to Village Place and before a bugger of a hill lol.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I think it must be the Royal Park too
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
MAndrews
Amphetamine Filth

markfiend wrote:I think it must be the Royal Park too
Let's assume Royal Park, then.
Swinnow
Overbomber

Just to be an utter c womble.. .

I was with the former Ms Swinnow in the Sheesh Mahal last night and the story above came into conversation. She agreed it doesn't sound like the Fav but reminded me of how awful and cavernous the Hyde Park pub was in those days and that this could have been a possible.

The Fav was our regular but the Little Park, sadly missed, was another favourite.
Nonesuch
Road Kill

Yeah, I kind of thought it might've been The Hyde Park from how I remember it in the late 80s. But the Royal Park was definitely nearer. But as Mark says, it doesn't really matter does it?! Anyway I'm really, really looking forward to the book now...
iesus
Overbomber

Paint My Name In Black And Gold: Update

A new project update has been published for Paint My Name In Black And Gold, by Mark Andrews.

Mick Harvey, The Birthday Party and The Sisters
I did a piece for 'Louder' with Mick Harvey. https://www.loudersound.com/features/mi ... n-12-songs

At the end, I asked him about the famous story which allegedly took place at the ZigZag Club in 1982. According to Chris Carr (The Birthday Party’s manager) in Ian Johnston’s book “Bad Seed�: “At the end of their set, Mr Eldritch and friends wanted to know…

:bat: :bat:
Edit -
Friday, 1 November 2019
Mick Harvey, The Birthday Party and The Sisters
I did a piece for 'Louder' with Mick Harvey. https://www.loudersound.com/features/mi ... n-12-songs

At the end, I asked him about the famous story which allegedly took place at the ZigZag Club in 1982. According to Chris Carr (The Birthday Party’s manager) in Ian Johnston’s book “Bad Seed�: “At the end of their set, Mr Eldritch and friends wanted to know what The Birthday Party thought of them, and asked me to find out … I asked them if they were sure about this. They were, so I went off to the dressing room. The only person who saw anything of their show was Mr Mick Harvey, who announced that The Sisters of Mercy were the worst band to have ever supported The Birthday Party. I went back and recounted this to Mr Eldritch. The following Monday I got a call from The Sisters of Mercy saying that the band had had a meeting and had decided to continue, and to wish The Birthday Party all the best in the future. They understood their criticism but thought rather than break up, they'd carry on. It was all very dramatic.�

This was Mick Harvey's response to me. The story begins in June 1981 ...

I think Nick (Cave) had talked to Andrew Eldritch when we (The Birthday Party) were on tour with Bauhaus. He was probably a Bauhaus fan, for his sins. He was at that show. Where are The Sisters of Mercy from? Leeds? It would have been the show in Leeds. (Tiffany’s. 23 June 1981). Maybe Andrew had ways of getting backstage. He just appeared backstage and he collared Nick because he thought The Birthday Party was the best thing he’d seen in a long time and talked to Nick for ages and gave him a cassette.

When we got back in the car - it would have been an estate car with a few guitars - Nick put it in the cassette player. Played it for a little bit. Fast-forwarded it a little bit. Played it for a little bit more. Onto the next song, Then he just wound down the window, pressed the eject and threw the cassette out the window.

They kept writing to us saying: “Please could we support your band? We think you’re the best band in the universe� and stuff. Eventually, we relented and said: “Come and support us at this show we’ve got in London – it was like their first show in London or something - at the ZigZag Club. We were playing shows without Tracy (Pew) because he was in jail back in Australia. (Incorrect. Pew was back in the band by this point)

We had our gig to do; we hadn’t actually gone out to watch them or anything. We were pre-occupied with being in a stressful situation, trying to play a show without out normal bass player and Chris Carr was coming into the dressing room saying, “The Sisters of Mercy want to know what you thought of their band.� Everybody else just kept ignoring him. Nick didn’t say anything. Rowland (S Howard) wouldn’t say anything.

I used to get very tense because I was quite sober before a show and the others – anything could happen. So I really did not like talking to anybody. And Chris just kept asking this question. He kept asking. He went out and came back again: “They really, really want to know what you thought of them.� Rowland continued to say nothing. Nick wouldn’t say anything. I said: “Just tell them they were s**t! f**k off and leave us alone.�

The story, as Chris told it to me, is that a week later he got a phone call from them. (The story that is in the "Bad Seed" book).

Six months later they were much bigger than us.

I quite liked talking to Andrew. He was interesting, a very smart guy. I just didn’t think the band were any good, didn’t like the music. Playing with a drum machine like that: if you’re not Suicide, then … (dismissively exhales). I can see now they thought they were Suicide crossed with The Stooges. I saw ‘1969’ at the sound-check. With a drum machine. I was like: “Aw, come on. You can’t do that.� It didn’t work for me. It’s a particular aesthetic that isn’t mine. They got better over time, but it isn’t my thing.

We treated them grievously and they probably hate us!
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
ww23
Road Kill

Maybe I missed some information but when will the actual physical book be released?
I pledged for the book in November 2018.
Thanks in advance for letting me know.
iesus
Overbomber

Writing in progress
Publication date: TBC

So it is written in site.
i am curious too about that :roll:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Being645
Above the Chemist

IIRC, March 2020 was the actual publishing date ... :) ...
MAndrews
Amphetamine Filth

The publication date is still TBC.
Not March 2020.
I have a manuscript of well over 100,000 words, which I've been working on since we hit 100%. 85,000 will go to Unbound very soon. The rest is being shaped into 'White Rose Babylon'
Some of this I will start to slip out in the form of Updates in 2020.
There is of course one more interview that I'm hanging on as long as possible for, just in case ... you can guess who. I doubt it will happen, but we have to try as long as possible.
Then there are the different editing and design phases, including the tricky business of getting unpublished photos.
That is in Unbound's hands.
I would hope for the second half of 2020.
splintered thing
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Thanks for the update - I have been thinking about this a lot lately :)
as the day is long,
rain from heaven
Charlie
Slight Overbomber

Thank you for the update!
Great to hear where you're at and what the next steps are, much appreciated :D

It would of course be an amazing bonus if you could pull that interview off, you can only try like you say!

Either way i can't wait to read the book! 8)
ruffers
Overbomber

Thanks for the update, appreciated.
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
Big Si
School Bully

My Fellow Heartlanders

I've supported a fair No. of Books now on Unbound. They all took quite a significant amount of both time and hardwork that went on behind the scenes, before I got a copy in my hands.

As well as updates from the Author(s), you also get them from Unbound. 2 months ago I received this update about a Book I funded in July 2018. It currently has a Publication Date of September 2020 on its Webpage -

"Hello Simon,
Good news! Our editorial team have reviewed the final manuscript of .......... and we’re excited to let you know it’s entering pre-press.

Pre-press is publishing speak for all the steps that happen to get a manuscript ready for printing, like:

Copy editing
Cover design
Typesetting
Proofreading
Keep an eye on your inbox – we’ll periodically ping you updates on how the project's going as it moves through the publishing process.

Oh, and don’t forget you can keep track of the manuscript’s progress in your account here.

The Unbounders"

And 6 Months ago I received this -

"Great news – the final manuscript for .......... has been handed in.

Up next is the editorial bit, where one of our team will review the manuscript from cover to cover, and work with the author to start turning this project into a real life, hold-it-in-your-hands book.

Keep an eye on your inbox – we’ll periodically ping you updates on how the project's going as it moves through the publishing process.

Oh – and don’t forget you can keep track of the project’s progress in your account.

The Unbounders"

So please be Patient. We will get a copy of this Book when it's ready and it will take time for that to happen, but certainly not as long as those of you who've been waiting for the next Sisters Album :wink: :lol:

Regards to all,
Big Si
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
FredrikB
Road Kill

I was thinking about upgrading to get White Babylon. But £30 extra from my Black October feels way to steep. I was thinking more like a tenner...(guess I would pay £15, though).
Mothra

FredrikB wrote:I was thinking about upgrading to get White Babylon. But £30 extra from my Black October feels way to steep. I was thinking more like a tenner...(guess I would pay £15, though).
Ditto. I guess prices are set already, but I was surprised at the leap in price.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Any news on this? ... :lol: ...
ww23
Road Kill

does anyone have any info when this book will actually get published?
I paid and supported it in November 2018 which is really quite a long time ago.
I remember Pledge Music which went out of business and took a lot of money with it, incl. some of my own.
I have grown rather wary of all these crowdfunding schemes which then take ages to complete.
mh
Above the Chemist

ww23 wrote:does anyone have any info when this book will actually get published?
I remember Pledge Music which went out of business and took a lot of money with it, incl. some of my own.
I have grown rather wary of all these crowdfunding schemes which then take ages to complete.
https://www.myheartland.co.uk/viewtopic ... ht=#680379
MAndrews wrote:The publication date is still TBC.
Not March 2020.
I have a manuscript of well over 100,000 words, which I've been working on since we hit 100%. 85,000 will go to Unbound very soon. The rest is being shaped into 'White Rose Babylon'
Some of this I will start to slip out in the form of Updates in 2020.
There is of course one more interview that I'm hanging on as long as possible for, just in case ... you can guess who. I doubt it will happen, but we have to try as long as possible.
Then there are the different editing and design phases, including the tricky business of getting unpublished photos.
That is in Unbound's hands.
I would hope for the second half of 2020.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Swinnow
Overbomber

There have also been regular update e-mails from Mark over the months. I'd check your junk mail to see if you've had them filtered out by default.
Big Si
School Bully

ww23 wrote:does anyone have any info when this book will actually get published?
Also see my post above on the 10th January. A 2 year wait between Funding and Delivery via Unbound is not unusual. They are very reputable. So far i've helped Fund 6 Books - 2 are now on my Bookshelf and i've got a long wait for the remaining 4....

https://unbound.com/how-it-works
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Gothicbiff

Email received yesterday :D

Thursday, 6 August 2020Manuscript submitted to Unbound

Greetings to you all,

An important milestone has been reached: my manuscript is now with the publisher. I have been assigned an editor and we  will be working together on the final draft that will be the book.

I will keep you updated as we progress through the business of turning 90,000-95,000 words in Word documents into an actual book. 25 chapters, a Preface and an Epilogue at the moment ...

'White Rose Babylon' will be extended footnotes to the final text. As originally intended, that will come as a PDF.

Mark
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

thats good news. nice.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Electrochrome
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Email received today 19-Aug-2020:

Great news – the final manuscript for Paint My Name In Black And Gold has been handed in.

Up next is the editorial bit, where one of our team will review the manuscript from cover to cover, and work with the author to start turning this project into a real life, hold-it-in-your-hands book.

Oh – and don’t forget you can keep track of the project’s progress in your account.
"Consistency is the sign of a decaying brain"