More of the Australasian phone interviews ...

Post your reviews of Sisters-related material or interviews with Sisters-related musicians here. And don't believe the hype: 1985 most definitely is a fashion statement.
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

More of the Munich "day off" interviews appearing.
Two with Eldritch: https://www.collideartandculture.com/si ... w-Eldritch and https://australianmusician.com.au/siste ... interview/, the first of which is definitely the best.
There's also one with Ben : https://www.therockpit.net/2019/intervi ... -of-mercy/.
Probably more to follow I would imagine ...
Being645
Above the Chemist

Nice to read ... :D ... thank you for the links ... :D :notworthy: ...
Gaijin
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Thank you for the links.
"All God's children give good phone,
I called Jesus He's not home... "
Planet Dave
Underneath the Rock

Cheers for the links, that first one is great, the journalist showing others just how easy it can be to interview Von in a meaningful way. Nice :)

edit : Meanwhile...... So, you've been in the band since 2006. Were you in the band in 2012?
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Actually I noticed your sunglasses are getting smaller these days. Why is that?

A.E.: Because I want my head to look bigger.
splintered thing
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Would be truly fab if he decided to move to Melbourne - we must have spent over $25000 flying all over the world for gigs over the years... 🤣
as the day is long,
rain from heaven
euphoria
Slight Overbomber

From the second interview:
The thorny question arises as to when fans might expect a fourth official release. “Outside of Europe there seems to be a need to release stuff to interest promoters�, Andrew opines.
He's talking about North America here, isn't he? What else could he be referring to when they are touring "everywhere" else regularly?

Other than that, the most positive part of the first interview:
A lot of people are collaborating remotely via the internet now, rather than getting together physically to record. How do you feel about that? Could that work for you?

We kind of tried that and we really didn’t achieve much. We recently got a new guitar player in the band – an Australian named Dylan. He lives quite close to where I live with my girlfriend in Belgium, and the very fact that we can be in the same room together has suddenly generated a massive amount of new material.

So you are actually working on new material?

Right now we have 16 songs in the pipeline on top of those newer ones we play live. We get to spend a lot of time together on the tour bus too and we are banging out stuff. It’s very exciting, I have to say!
I'm wondering about this 2 weeks intense song-writing session in Antwerpen..why put that amount of energy into it and produce no less than 16 songs unless there is an idea to release it somehow? He's talking about 9 months for a record, but there must be something you could do in less time than that if you can produce 16 songs in 2 weeks!? :?
Charlie
Slight Overbomber

Many thanks for the links! :D

Really happy to see that Ben also thinks this is one of the best tours he's ever done, there's definitely a special positive vibe going round right now and it's so great to see.

Also pleased to see Andrew was won over by Roxy Music, a band i have a lot of love for too. :D
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Because I have been after the gig in venue and Ben, Dylan and Dave were there to meet, greet, sign and take photos with people, I came to Ben and told him that I really like the sound, performance and so, he was happy to hear that, and he sounded like he did. I did that because I feel that, in some way, they deserve and ought to know this. Plus, I've mentioned previous imperfection with sound, and he was perfectly aware of this.

And he's right about that photo and signig - this is a good tool to measure crowd approval.
I skipped that part.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

And it turns out they’re all massive Sisters of Mercy fans because they’re of that age where they grew up in the 80s and they were listening to Flatland and Vision Thing
To be precise, In the Flatland was recorded by The Sisters of Gropius.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Bartek wrote:
Actually I noticed your sunglasses are getting smaller these days. Why is that?

A.E.: Because I want my head to look bigger.
... :lol: ...
Swinnow
Overbomber

Oooh, he lives in so many places, hahaha. Your interview game is still strong Mr Eldritch.

We aught to generate a Von version of the s**t bingo card for these rounds of interviews.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
Swinnow
Overbomber

Blimmin site autocorrect, obviously should have been bull**** bingo.
Zacharias
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

First one was really good! Thanks for sharing!
Burning 'cross the breeze.
Chaotican

Note to self: teach PiB to heckle in ASL next tour to reduce shouting from the front.
Swinnow
Overbomber

PiB is a Manc and so well versed in communication via hand gestures :lol:
AmericanDream
Road Kill

To think I've loved this band for years and never known that Von has a sister. Damn, guy really does keep things close to the chest.
Being645
Above the Chemist

AmericanDream wrote:To think I've loved this band for years and never known that Von has a sister. Damn, guy really does keep things close to the chest.
Yes, that was one of the most open interviews ever. And just so. Very good.
But he said that before some time in the 90s. Only who would remember this nowadays in all that wah-hoo about the 80s and so many years later.
Alexey Fyodorovich
Road Kill

8) wrote:Well it’s not really, both CDs and vinyl are dead compared to downloads and streaming.
Not dead to me...I'm still purchasing both formats at a prodigious rate as if streaming and downloads never happened, and would be the first to rush out to buy a physical copy of a new Sisters record in the unlikely event that one was released.
mh
Above the Chemist

Alexey Fyodorovich wrote:
8) wrote:Well it’s not really, both CDs and vinyl are dead compared to downloads and streaming.
Not dead to me...I'm still purchasing both formats at a prodigious rate as if streaming and downloads never happened, and would be the first to rush out to buy a physical copy of a new Sisters record in the unlikely event that one was released.
They're effectively dead as sources of income for a band, however. I posted this link in another thread but it's worth repeating here: even Metallica don't earn enough from record sales to be able to afford to stop touring. If Metallica can't do it, what hope for the Sisters?

https://www.nme.com/news/music/metallica-143-1282728
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Alexey Fyodorovich
Road Kill

mh wrote:
Alexey Fyodorovich wrote:
They're effectively dead as sources of income for a band, however. I posted this link in another thread but it's worth repeating here: even Metallica don't earn enough from record sales to be able to afford to stop touring. If Metallica can't do it, what hope for the Sisters?

https://www.nme.com/news/music/metallica-143-1282728
Absolutely, I will concede you're right about that depressing reality. I'm just saying that not all of us have given in to this brave new world of streaming, for the little it's worth. There are a few of us stragglers left. :D

I'm saddened but not really surprised that the problem is as severe as illustrated by that NME article.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I meant to leave this snarky comment when you posted this before...
mh wrote:even Metallica don't earn enough from record sales to be able to afford to stop touring.
Oh boo hoo poor Metallica. "I can't afford to give up my day job." Welcome to the real world. :roll:

:wink:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Pista
Cureboi

Metallica have a great business model for coining it in. :?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Depprocksfarfar

markfiend wrote:I meant to leave this snarky comment when you posted this before...
mh wrote:even Metallica don't earn enough from record sales to be able to afford to stop touring.
Oh boo hoo poor Metallica. "I can't afford to give up my day job." Welcome to the real world. :roll:

:wink:
Exactly. What a load of bull. The can´t afford their luxury lifestyle without touring is more like it.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

Empathy is what we need, and tegridy
Try to understand Metallica - they so much used to use and abuse their fans and followers, they so much get used to their lifestyle, there's no chance they will change it.

But no more off-topic. I guess that releaeing new album would be sign of true productivity, that something is going on. Of course, four brand new songs, that's all fine. But as we know album is time-space when band have chance to produce that kind of music that is sometimes impossible to play live; not to mention: live sound taking TSOM reality is rather limited.