2019-11-16, Circo Volador, Mexico City, Mexico

Gig news, reviews, set lists, thoughts, comments and observations on The Sisters live in 2019
Charlie
Slight Overbomber

Parfaitaccompli wrote:First time poster, I'm from Australia, missed the home gigs this time around, but ended up being in CDMX at the right time to catch this one.
Given most posters on this thread seem to be out of towners, figured I'd sign up. Hola!
Hello and welcome - hope you have a great time! :D
Being645
Above the Chemist

Hihi, hola Parfaitaccompli ... enjoy your time in Mexico and above all the final gig of The Sisters'
touring activities this year ... should become a wonderful concert after this long and wonderful tour ... ;D ;D ;D ...

Oh, and welcome to this lovely forum of course ... :D ...
Parfaitaccompli
Road Kill

Cheers everyone!

It's a beautiful city, very happy to be at the final gig of this year! First overseas gig at all.

If anyone out of town is looking for pre gig drinks spots, and you're of a more goth persuasion, cafe Bizarro in col. Roma was an unexpected find when I was staying the area. It's seriously decked out to the nines and has a large drinks menu, and do ok burgers and stuff. They were playing the m*****n when I dropped in, but I won't hold it against them. :P
Also in Roma if you want coffee or beer, cafe Boicot was my go to, nicely decorated in a very pretty area. More hipster/uni student chill spot.
Haven't been here long enough to recommend anywhere else. No idea what the venue is like, and my Spanish sucks so e-tix better work. :/
Chaotican
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Parfaitaccompli wrote:Cheers everyone!
. No idea what the venue is like, and my Spanish sucks so e-tix better work. :/
Let me know if you have troubles. I ended up connecting with a friend of a friend to buy these in Mexico because the Etix/will call were not guaranteed. My Spanish isn’t great, either, but I got resources to help if you need it.

There’s an after party nearby being advertised. The Under is the name of the place, I believe.
Parfaitaccompli
Road Kill

Chaotican wrote:Let me know if you have troubles. I ended up connecting with a friend of a friend to buy these in Mexico because the Etix/will call were not guaranteed. My Spanish isn’t great, either, but I got resources to help if you need it.
Oh, thanks, that's really nice of you. We booked tickets in July, but didn't print them out so am hoping digital copies are fine. I think I'm too old for an afterparty but will keep it in mind if I'm still awake by then. :)

Edit: just realised they aren't e-tix at all, travelling companion didn't read the email. Can just collect at the venue, site says box office or points of sale, all good.
Pista
Cureboi

Everyone have a great time tonight :)
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Being645
Above the Chemist

Good Morning everybody over there in Mexico City ... :D :D :D ... we hope you're having a wonderful sunny day
and a great time enjoying the wonderful Mexican food and the interesting enviroment ... before the doors open
for the final concert of this tour, when it's something like Sunday, 3am over here ... ;D ;D ;D ...
Chaotican

Parfaitaccompli wrote:
Edit: just realised they aren't e-tix at all, travelling companion didn't read the email. Can just collect at the venue, site says box office or points of sale, all good.
That’s the problem... the venue said that they may resell the tickets if the tickets aren’t picked up 24 hrs prior to the show. My friend from Mexico City argued with them. They may not, but they have that right. They are open now if you want to try and then shout if there’s issues.
Parfaitaccompli
Road Kill

Feck, thanks for clarifying that, getting on it now.
Pista
Cureboi

Fingers crossed it all works out Parfaitaccompli
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
sam donut
Some Kind of Donut

Yeah good luck!
🎵 Good times come to me now 🎶
Being645
Above the Chemist

Absolutely! Hope it all turns out fine for you, Parfaitaccompli ... :D ...
Parfaitaccompli
Road Kill

Cheers, rang the venue itself, between their uncertain English and my atrocious Spanish, they seemed to be nonchalantly sure that as long as we have the purchase number and ID there's no problem. Guess I'll find out soon.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Ah that sounds good ... :D ... I think you can relax. The concert is not sold out, so why should they sell exactly your ticket ...
... plus they are informed of your coming now ... that should be sufficient ... :D :D :D ....
Parfaitaccompli
Road Kill

Being645 wrote:Ah that sounds good ... :D ... I think you can relax. The concert is not sold out, so why should they sell exactly your ticket ...
... plus they are informed of your coming now ... that should be sufficient ... :D :D :D ....
He didn't take our details, but yeah, should prob be fine. Famous last words. :)

Although I did forget to ask if cameras are allowed.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Hihi, fine. Heaven knows about the camera. Mobiles are surely allowed. Let us know when the doors open and enjoy the gig ... ;D ;D ;D ...
Parfaitaccompli
Road Kill

Ok am in, no problems with ticket collection beyond my bad Spanish. Decent crowd so far, I feel like such a gringo though. Support just ended.
Being645
Above the Chemist

That is good, that it all worked out in the end, Parfaitaccompli ... :D :::

Here's a basic page with first vids ... some of questionable quality, but not all bad... :wink: ...
Charlie
Slight Overbomber

Being645 wrote:That is good, that it all worked out in the end, Parfaitaccompli ... :D :::

Here's a basic page with first vids ... some of questionable quality, but not all bad... :wink: ...
Excellent, you've done them already! :notworthy:

Looks like a great end to an amazing tour and at 22 secs into Crash And Burn i almost thought Andrew was even gonna start body popping for a moment there! :von: :lol: :notworthy:
Chaotican

The venue here is really interesting and seemed promising. It has the feel of a gritty outdoor amphitheater set inside a graffiti’d industrial building. (Mexico City itself is an intense backdrop, but I’ll stick to the point.)

There was a large crowd by 18:20 and a huge one by the time they opened the doors. The bootleg merch was beyond any display I’ve seen and just part of the scene here. On the plus side, you can get away with smoking onstage, so yay anarchy.

Once inside, the crowd seemed a bit sedate, or at least their energy was. Highlights were Dominion, Something Fast/IWW and Lucretia. The sound mix seemed off to me at times, in a way that impacted the feel of it, but I couldn’t articulate how and it may well just be me because no one else mentioned it!

Afterwards, the crowd didn’t leave, which was charming. They stayed and chanted “seesters!� well after Corrosion and cheered when Dylan and Ben returned to the stage. Everyone I spoke to was very happy afterwards.

On this tour, I’ve gotten to leech off the excitement of people who very rarely get to see a sisters show, explore new lands, spend time with friends, and be reminded of why I do this beginning at some point in Brisbane. I have my own performance of corporate BS to put on in SoCal tomorrow, which seemed like a brilliant idea to expense my return from Mexico at the time... hopefully my key is now wound enough for this. 😁

See you all soon, I’m sure.
Pista
Cureboi

Thanks for the recap & so glad you enjoyed your travels this tour
I've done similar things with The Cure & the adventure is so well worth it.
Good luck with the corporate thing tomorrow. :D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Pista
Cureboi

One of the mods from TheCureCommunity was there last night & he sent me a photo of the stage pre-gig

Setlist same as Rio
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
jost 7
Slight Overbomber

The end of a fantastic tour, loved it.
Thanks to all contributing in here to spread the word
Let the voice rest now, needed again soon
love is just a shot away
Parfaitaccompli
Road Kill

Chaotican wrote: Once inside, the crowd seemed a bit sedate, or at least their energy was. Highlights were Dominion, Something Fast/IWW and Lucretia. The sound mix seemed off to me at times, in a way that impacted the feel of it, but I couldn’t articulate how and it may well just be me because no one else mentioned it!

Afterwards, the crowd didn’t leave, which was charming. They stayed and chanted “seesters!� well after Corrosion and cheered when Dylan and Ben returned to the stage. Everyone I spoke to was very happy afterwards.
I think you hit the nail on head on both the energy and the sound. I was at the top of the standing section near the sound desk, and something was a bit off. Vision Thing got the section I was in a lot more animated. Though not a favourite musically of mine, lyrically it was interesting to hear in Mexico given current politics, and being in a bit of crowd that suddenly exploded with energy for it was a highlight.

I'm gutted I forgot to get more cash out beforehand, not usually one for bootleg merch but not getting a Mexico City specific shirt one vendor had will be a regret. Might have to go on a hunt before I leave. :)
Being645
Above the Chemist

Thank you both for the reviews ... :D :notworthy: ...

Here's a 12-minute video featuring Something Fast, I Was Wrong and Flood II,
though the sound quality is limited (same old difficulties of wrong mic settings
or whatever else is the cause for that effect) ... the footage is not bad, though...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQcsDf4JW6A

@Pista ... cool ... :D ... thanks to you and the Cure Community for the photo and the confirmation of the setlist ... :notworthy: :D ...