Eldritch was wrong

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Swinnow
Overbomber

So are we now agreed that Von moved from the Wrong Reds to Dirty Leeds? There was an interview, I think around the time of their first Download Fest where he mentioned it, if memory serves. Something to do with the Glazers and money ruining footy after Sky invented it, which coincided with Utd being good again. Mind you, at least he didn't buy a Norwich scarf like loads of Mancs did :lol:
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
Somekindadion
Road Kill

During the Through the key hole special there was a copy of Salad Daze in the kitchen
Seems Von bought it thinking Hussey had written a new fad diet cookbook. He was hoping it contained Blue Nun Triffle , Speedy Slow cook rat ribs , Snakeskin Stir Fry and Humble pie Pasta
Swinnow
Overbomber

Christ, that was half the diet if you shopped within 250yds of the Royal Park in 1984 :lol:
XidiouX
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I'm wondering if he himself would think he was wrong to have recorded Damage Done.
Last edited by XidiouX on 19 Nov 2019, 01:45, edited 1 time in total.
GC
Slight Overbomber

Although their biggest hit Temple 1992 should never have been a single....I much prefer Alice 93.
Swinnow
Overbomber

Original "Temple" always x
XidiouX

He seems to have discarded the magnificent, monumetal (I'm keeping that typo), seminal 'War on Drugs' in favour of Corbynite crap like 'Arms'. He was wrong to do that, more generally, as seems to have been the case, to have started dealing with the problems and injustices of the world literally rather than ironically and sardonically.

"Throw away the underclasses". True and tragic but there's a reason why I'm a Sisters fan and not a Billy Bragg one.

At a tangent, why isn't the word sardony used more often, like irony? Sardonic, sardonically, yes, we hear them from time to time but the actual noun? Never, it seems.
XidiouX

elamanamou wrote:You never saw a copy of Salad Daze? :innocent:
I have. He was wrong to give that guitarist that fiver. It should have been £3.62 at the most. At least he learned to remunerate his staff according to their worth when Patsy waddled across his transom.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

:roll: pur-leeze. Picking on Patricia for her weight is so 1996.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
abridged
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote::roll: pur-leeze. Picking on Patricia for her weight is so 1996.
Indeed. I was hoping we're better than that these days.
The Chancer Corporation
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

markfiend wrote::roll: pur-leeze. Picking on Patricia for her weight is so 1996.
agreed. more worryingly it reminds me that the people who did that had a need to badmouth ms morrison that was utterly unconnected to anything they could actually have picked her up for! by which i mean what was Patsy's crime? to have not played on the records she was credited on? nor did Tim Bricheno or Benn Gunn for that matter; and it wasnt because she couldn't /wouldn't, it was Eldritch's choice. or was it because she was a goth beauty to the point of being half of THE goth poster couple of the late 80's? or because she -like everyone else who used to be in the Sisters- realised that she was no longer useful to/part of/ compatible with Andrew's masterplan/ Andrew? makes me wonder.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
mh
Above the Chemist

...and besides, she did contribute to the Gun Club, so we have exhibit #1 of the evidence in favour of Patricia being capable right there. That should never have been in doubt.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Also Eldritch was more keen working with her than continue the former track, anyway ...
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

mh wrote:...and besides, she did contribute to the Gun Club, so we have exhibit #1 of the evidence in favour of Patricia being capable right there. That should never have been in doubt.
exactly and is the very reason i didnt even mention it Michael.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Guedzilla
Amphetamine Filth
Location: At the place where the bars never close (not that soon, at least)

Eh, c'mon, there's (probably) her slap bass lines (almost) hearable on Driven Like The Snow...
Introducing....Gothzilla?!?
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

Sisters played Heineken music Hall / nowadays Afas live almost 2 decades ago and ends up in Maastricht.

Suede plays Afas Live this October (ok, with a special Coming Up edition).

But.... go figure. Suede bass player Mat Osman was a Sisters fan. Now Andrew can kiss his ring.

(And i loved Suede's latest release The Blue Hour)
guns & cars & accidents
GC
Slight Overbomber

dinky daisy wrote:Sisters played Heineken music Hall / nowadays Afas live almost 2 decades ago and ends up in Maastricht.

But.... go figure. Suede bass player Mat Osman was a Sisters fan. Now Andrew can kiss his ring.

But they are also playing Oosterpoort/Spot Groningen - OK its no AFAS but their playing the Grote Zaal (big hall) which is still quite big - 2800. I think the last time they played there in 2011 they were in the smaller hall so its a bit up n down. They are the Bitcoin of bands. :D
GC
Slight Overbomber

GC wrote:
dinky daisy wrote:Sisters played Heineken music Hall / nowadays Afas live almost 2 decades ago and ends up in Maastricht.

But they are also playing Oosterpoort/Spot Groningen - OK its no AFAS but their playing the Grote Zaal (big hall) which is still quite big - 2800. I think the last time they played there in 2011 they were in the smaller hall so its a bit up n down. They are the Bitcoin of bands. :D
And they have now been moved to the smaller venue :lol:
H. Blackrose

Patricia Morrison did her job and did it well. Her job was not playing bass, it was baby-sitting Von on promo tours to make sure he didn't end up on the old you-know-what again.
"We're Hawkwind and this is a song about love."
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Do we have to do this again?
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
XidiouX

Eldritch was wrong to start smoking and he knows it. And I was wrong to follow him and I know it.

That said, it was kind of amusing and also somewhat sad (even to a fellow smoker) to see him at the Bristol gig last week with an unlit fag between his fingers for two thirds of the show until he was able to nip off and smoke it during the instrumental. Was this some kind of protest? Or did it just make him happy, sort of? He wasn't using it as a prop in the way he used to before all the smoking bans. I guess using a fag as a prop which is unlit because you're not allowed to smoke it would look kind of pathetic. The irony of course was that he was immersed in a cumulus of dry ice.
XidiouX

Here's the big one: was he wrong to have recorded and thus committed the history of this galaxy 'The Damage Done'?

My view on this is that was a price worth paying for the utterly bastard groovy 'Home of the Hitmen', but only just.
XidiouX

With all due respect Mark, there is nothing, I repeat nothing, that was right in 1996 and is wrong in 2020.
Last edited by XidiouX on 28 Mar 2020, 01:00, edited 1 time in total.
sam donut
Some Kind of Donut

Picking on anyone for their weight or appearance or anything is pretty rubbish really.
I've never seen an ugly Sister.
(Shut up, Craig)
🎵 Good times come to me now 🎶
XidiouX

Sam, I would say the whole point of a joke is to subvert accepted moral standards, but not seriously, only in a 'sandbox', so to speak. It's a very interesting question as to why we would want to do this. Clearly there is something unnatural about being compelled to obey these moral standards. Otherwise, we wouldn't enjoy the release that humour provides.