Sisters live sound – the majestic 1993 sound vs today's

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Yggdrasil
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

Thanks to the generous sharing of the Brixton Academy and Birmingham NEC shows on this forum, I've spent many happy hours listening and comparing to more recent shows from the last couple of tours.

What really strikes me is today's pitifully weak guitars, both playing-wise and from a sound perspective, and the overall too clean, sterile and hollow live sound, usually (always?) performed at an altogether way too low volume, compared with the glorious, powerful guitar sound of the 1993 shows and the shows in general (AE and the Doktor not least).

Anyone agree? Is the current SoM sound rig inadequate, and part of the problem?
Last edited by Yggdrasil on 09 Dec 2019, 09:57, edited 2 times in total.
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

I guess it's common fact that guitars aren't what they used to be, quieter, weaker and so, and that AE vox is not to sexy and vox not too strong, nowadays, yet when it still sttract people, it still can be a good or at least decent show.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Pista
Cureboi

Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Pista wrote:Didn't we already do this dance?
A million times i think... :wink: The past is another concert, they do things louder there. As somebody probably said.
The Chancer Corporation
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

abridged wrote:The past is another concert, they do things louder there. As somebody probably said.
Oh well done ;D :notworthy:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

^^Wot he said^^ ( :P smartarse :kiss: )
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Swinnow
Overbomber

Can I have the 80's mix of 12 string jangle and 6 string crunch please.

The early 90's chase the yanky dollar period was a bit meh to my ears.

The lesson is, we all like what we like, and long may that be the case. It would be a bit boring if Heartland became an echo chamber like, say, Momentum or Conservative Home.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
abridged
Slight Overbomber

eastmidswhizzkid wrote:^^Wot he said^^ ( :P smartarse :kiss: )
Heh. True! :wink: As far as I remember in the 90s people were saying ah but it isn't as good as in the 80s. The grass is always greener or as it's the Sisters maybe blacker! ;D
The Chancer Corporation
Swinnow
Overbomber

The grass is always blacker???? :lol: :lol:

It is rumoured, by untrustworthy types, that I always opted for Leb, in a previous life, of course ;)

Just say no, kids!
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

As a comparison, but don't take my word for it because you all know that I especially liked the Sisters 20 years ago and earlier....

Compare a band like G 'n' R today live and in the eighties....
compare FotN back then, and now...

They still have that beefy full-on sound.
If I want to hear a good, full-on Sisters sound or even the lovely twangy new-wave sound of the early days, I go see a Sisters coverband, I'm sorry to say.

So I agree with Yggdrasil and all the other dancers ;D

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Izzy HaveMercy wrote:compare FotN back then, and now...
...and in both cases Carl may very well have been miming.
—Bertrand Russell
eastmidswhizzkid

and yet: Motorhead on the 1916 tour 28 years ago (Leicester DeMontfort Hall, medium sized hall) was THE loudest sound i have ever heard -so loud it was physically painful whilst remaining crystal clear- but in 2002 & 2003 (B'ham NIA, cavernous arena & Nottinham Rock City, medium sized hall) you could talk over the band with no raising your voice.
Similarly Hammersmith Odeon in 2002 for Velvet Revolver was blistering voluminous but the year after -same band- not only was it talkover-able the place was full of wankers wearing ear-plugs , given out free by the venue, in line with the nanny-state's guidlines on looking after our hearing.
:roll:

Drsisters
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

I think we need to take in the aspect of size of venues and gear.

Brixton Academy have a capacity around 4900
Birmingham NEC have a max capacity of 15000 if you use the main venue, which I don't remember if The Sisters played. so for argument say the same capacity as Brixton Academy. Remember that The Sisters was backed then by WEA to some point. Take in account of the PA system you need to fill these arenas.

London Roundhouse have an capacity of 1700. Trädågrn in Gothenburg around the same capacity. Imagine if you cranked in the PA system you need to fill Brixton Academy in such a small venue, it would be a mess. Flip the coin around and crank in the PA system from Roundhouse into Brixton Academy, It would sound utter garbage on all account.

Another aspect you have to take into account is the gear the different guitar players use. Ben and Dylan uses digital amps, Adam and Andreas used analogue amps. Different doctor as well...

Very hard to compare past and present due to these factors.
Andrew Eldritch Dour Festival 1997: Yeah, We take any request... As much as we ever do.
eastmidswhizzkid

Also: no offence but the live sound of the so-called 'golden-age' Sisters cannot really be judged from concert recordings and nor can the modern day sound be judged from concert recordings. even if you have been to see the Sisters since the 00's you cant really do more than generalise. Last 2 gigs i attended were different sound-wise and they were on consecutive nights in the same venue! Anyway -if you tell the Dude it needs turning up he goes and does it. :von:

Being645
Above the Chemist

Yggdrasil wrote:Is the current SoM sound rig inadequate, and part of the problem?
Yeah, you have a problem, obviously. Only what it is, I really don't know.
Yggdrasil

Being645 wrote:
Yggdrasil wrote:Is the current SoM sound rig inadequate, and part of the problem?
Yeah, you have a problem, obviously. Only what it is, I really don't know.
Ooh, did I hit a sore spot?
Swinnow
Overbomber

You did, but only for those evangelists who would applaud Von farting 'Ode To Joy' through a stylophone and call it art.

Jesus loves the sisters, but only in appropriate shirts :p
eastmidswhizzkid

Jesus Loves The Sisters but not as much as we do. :von:

Yggdrasil

Izzy HaveMercy wrote: compare FotN back then, and now...

They still have that beefy full-on sound.
If I want to hear a good, full-on Sisters sound or even the lovely twangy new-wave sound of the early days, I go see a Sisters coverband, I'm sorry to say.

So I agree with Yggdrasil and all the other dancers ;D

IZ.
Exactly my point – I've seen many bands (FotN included) in recent years who all had a fantastic, full, rich live sound, in equally sized venues that the Sisters are playing these days.

It feels like a lot of people here are in denial that the SoM live sound is objectively worse these days than it used to be.

I'm not saying that the band sucks or that I can't enjoy them – it's just that for me, the Sisters sound piffling and weak these days (and you can talk over the music), and nothing like the industrial groove machine they ought to sound like.[/i]
Yggdrasil

Swinnow wrote:You did, but only for those evangelists who would applaud Von farting 'Ode To Joy' through a stylophone and call it art.

Thanks, it appears I did...

It's funny how some fans are like the type of tragic football fans who support a team no matter what, regardless of who the players are, the owners, or the quality of the playing.
Being645
Above the Chemist

Yggdrasil wrote:
Swinnow wrote:You did, but only for those evangelists who would applaud Von farting 'Ode To Joy' through a stylophone and call it art.

Thanks, it appears I did...

It's funny how some fans are like the type of tragic football fans who support a team no matter what, regardless of who the players are, the owners, or the quality of the playing.
As long as there are objective people, the world is saved.
Swinnow
Overbomber

Now you're getting serious. A red shirt with a liverbird over the heart is one of life's most beautiful things. Always.
Yggdrasil

abridged wrote:
As far as I remember in the 90s people were saying ah but it isn't as good as in the 80s. The grass is always greener or as it's the Sisters maybe blacker! ;D
While that's true (I've been a fan through all incarnations, and like them all), that's not what I'm getting at – if the band played just like they are playing now (setlist, performance) I wouldn't have a problem with it. It's the fact that the sound is weak, and that they sound nowhere near as good as they ought to be able to sound – a problem e.g. FOTN (and most other bands) simply don't have – something which became especially obvious to me listening to the 1993 shows.
Yggdrasil

Swinnow wrote:Now you're getting serious. A red shirt with a liverbird over the heart is one of life's most beautiful things. Always.
As is a black shirt with a MR logo :-D