But Genevieve

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
mh
Above the Chemist

The rumour did come from a reliable source - i.e. not Von - and at least two of us heard it separately, so it does seem to be a little better than the usual.

This was in Bristol as well, when it must have been obvious that the post-UK dates were at least at risk.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Todashi
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

For the record, I'd love to see ANYTHING new from the sisters. If there was a kickstart with goodies, etc, I'd happily pay north of €100 for an album release.

All they'd need to sweeten the deal would be a teeshirt and poster and I'm there.

And I'd bet there's a lot of me out there.
“I don't want people to come and see our gig because of the magnificent things I'm doing with my hips, but it's their evening, you know. They have to have fun. I'm a little bit naive."
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

mh wrote:The rumour did come from a reliable source - i.e. not Von - and at least two of us heard it separately, so it does seem to be a little better than the usual.

This was in Bristol as well, when it must have been obvious that the post-UK dates were at least at risk.
Outwith Bristol I asked much closer to source 😉
Goths have feelings too
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

il duce wrote:A physical single would be very cool since it has to have a B-side.
Having bought the Nephilim's Prophecy single I can tell you, wasteful as it might be, it's entirely possible to produce a 7" single with nothing pressed on the b-side.
:wink:
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!
Spiggy Sage
Road Kill

:? ..about time, innit?
Being645
Wiki Wizard

Erudite wrote:
il duce wrote:A physical single would be very cool since it has to have a B-side.
Having bought the Nephilim's Prophecy single I can tell you, wasteful as it might be, it's entirely possible to produce a 7" single with nothing pressed on the b-side.
... :eek: :lol: ... so there is worse in the world than I had expected ... :lol: ... while of course there was a Long Train Flexi back in the days ...

However IMHO, the so far untitled instrumental would make a lovely b-side to some Genevieve single ... ;D ...
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

Being645 wrote: However IMHO, the so far untitled instrumental would make a lovely b-side to some Genevieve single ... ;D ...
Yeah, I'd be more than happy with that.
But the eternal optimist in me likes to hope they'll pick one of the other new tracks for which they've posted lyrics on the site.
ruffers
Overbomber

Plus another, and Instrumental, and voila, an EP.
Chucking another log on
iesus
Overbomber

I wouldn't mind a treat with a Saxophone oriented instrumental like in Dominion/Μother Russia single, that we never heard before ;D ;D :notworthy:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
splintered thing
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

This thread is a tad trippy but good news!!! :)
as the day is long,
rain from heaven
ROBBIE

"Genevieve, I think you're lovely But Genevieve, it's time” TSOM 2020
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

TheGoodSon wrote:So just to make sure I’ve understood this thread correctly: there is a rumour that The Sisters will release But Genevieve as a single next month? 😳
Along with Summer, 'cause you know July is in the Summer.
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

iesus wrote:Image

:bat: :bat: :bat:
If they can bring back The X-Files, they can release new Sisters material.

Depends on the slogan though... "The Truth Is Out There" or "Trust No-Von"
GC
Slight Overbomber

Erudite wrote:
But will they bring it out on Cassette....thats how I'm used to my Sisters singles :lol:
Swinnow
Overbomber

Torn between hope and the deep seated cynicism that experience of all matters Sisters has brought for approaching 30yrs, and yet I dutifully turn up like the 'sad act' my sons say :lol:

'Show Me' would have been a better choice though IMHO.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
iesus
Overbomber

Swinnow wrote:Torn between hope and the deep seated cynicism that experience of all matters Sisters has brought for approaching 30yrs, and yet I dutifully turn up like the 'sad act' my sons say :lol:

'Show Me' would have been a better choice though IMHO.
'Show Me' deserves it's own 12'' single release! we even have the artwork for the cover somewhere around in the forum ;D :innocent:

ps.: Trust no-von :lol: :lol: :lol: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
XidiouX

Scott Walker - Genevieve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOhSfGTc3ss

As always with Scott, sheer class.
Todashi

GC wrote:
But will they bring it out on Cassette....thats how I'm used to my Sisters singles :lol:
ha ha ha
TheGoodSon
Amphetamine Filth

Did anyone who initially heard this rumor also happen to hear anthing about possible labels, etc? I’m sure the band could record the song(s) themselves for little or no money, but pressing and distribution is a different story.
I’m sorry, but the very idea of a actual new Sisters release, possibly as early as next month, is just so damn exciting I can’t stop thinking about it. 😅
The dominant need of the needy soul is to be needed.
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

TheGoodSon wrote:Did anyone who initially heard this rumor also happen to hear anthing about possible labels, etc? I’m sure the band could record the song(s) themselves for little or no money, but pressing and distribution is a different story.
I’m sorry, but the very idea of a actual new Sisters release, possibly as early as next month, is just so damn exciting I can’t stop thinking about it. 😅
Adding 2+2 together and possibly getting 5, Cadiz Music would seem a good possibility, given they are producing the Gift reissue.
Obviously pure unfounded speculation on my part.
Pista
Cureboi

Good point. But is there any real need for physical product in 2020?
Bandcamp is there & used by many to shift digital copies of material.
& chances of getting pressing capacity when all the factories want to do is run off another 50k copies of Brothers In Arms is pretty remote anyway.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Swinnow
Overbomber

I'm just glad there's enough bands like NMA, Levellers and even t'Mish who still manage to produce and put out physical product for sad old duffers like me :lol:
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
mh
Above the Chemist

I don't remember anything about labels, but Merciful Release with some kind of licensing/distribution deal would surely work?
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.