Geek Anvil (currently geeking...)

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
EvilBastard
Overbomber

Geeky GDPR question:
So I've just had to go through a background check for a potential new employer (interview questions included "do you have a kettle in the office?", "has anyone on my team ever made tea in a microwave?", and a force-ranking exercise involving which biscuits they would prefer to dunk. Because while being unemployed is seriously effing boring I draw the line at working with philistines, is why) and it appears that my university (which if we'd had our way would have been named The People's University of the Glorious Republic of West Yorkshire back in '92, and not this "Beckett University" malarkey) have got my dates of attendance wrong by a year, and is saying that I was only there for 3 years, not 4.

Luckily my prospective employer doesn't seem overly concerned by this, so long as I actually graduated, but from a GDPR compliance perspective presumably the university is required to correct this (since accuracy is mandated by the the regulations).

So my question is: is there a time limit for them to make the correction once they're informed about it? As in, do they have to put it right within a certain amount of time, like 30 days?
"I won't go down in history, but I probably will go down on your sister."
Hank Moody
lazarus corporation
Lord Protector

The organisation with the incorrect info must "comply with a request for rectification without undue delay and at the latest within one month of receipt of the request [or the receipt of additional supporting info/evidence required by the organisation]".

info inside [...] is paraphrased for brevity.

This period can be extended to 2 months in the data change is complicated.

Source: https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/gu ... ification/
Izzy HaveMercy
The Worlds Greatest Living Belgian

Bought myself a The C64 for absolutely no reason whatsoever but to treat myself and re-live my yoof, and it's fantastic! :D

HDMI and USB connectors are the only thing that give it away (and the absence of a C= -key) but the games work a treat! :notworthy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yOch48SScs

IZ.
For Greater Good - Ambient Music for the Masses...
EvilBastard
Overbomber

lazarus corporation wrote:The organisation with the incorrect info must "comply with a request for rectification without undue delay and at the latest within one month of receipt of the request [or the receipt of additional supporting info/evidence required by the organisation]".
Thanks for the info, Lazarus - just had back from the university and had a "shake my damn head" moment. Apparently they've got a temp working in the office who got the dates muddled. On 2 separate occasions.

To err is human, to forgive divine, but if this muppet's ineptitude had cost me the job I would definitely have different feelings.
Hank Moody
EvilBastard
Overbomber

For those of us who spend most of our lives feeling with extreme geekery, I feel that this site may be useful.

HTTPS://http.cat

There may also be cross-threading because error code 418.
Hank Moody
Being645
Above the Chemist

EvilBastard wrote:For those of us who spend most of our lives feeling with extreme geekery, I feel that this site may be useful.

HTTPS://http.cat

There may also be cross-threading because error code 418.
... :lol: :lol: :notworthy: ...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Currently geeking: "Windows subsystem for Linux"

Because I've been lent a work laptop and I'm not allowed to just stick Linux on it. It's like the worst of both worlds. I got it on Saturday morning (rather than "some time Friday" as I was promised) and they can feck off if they think I'm doing anything for work in my own time, so it's taken me a day and a half so far and I haven't even finished getting $WORK_WEB_APP installed and working yet...

Also the Debian system that comes with WSL is pretty minimal - even things like wget, openssh-client, git etc. needed installing from the repos!
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

now that i am exclusively Linux -and may i say enjoying the freedom no end- could someone please recommend me a decent CD ripper and a decent burner? the burner must be able to burn mp4 as audio and undecoded .FLAC
its all i'm missing really. Brasero and xburn are s**t
Ta muchly :notworthy:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Re my previous WSL - that got wiped and I'm now using Debian in a VM on a windoze PC and firefox is faster in the VM than it is in windows :lol:

as for CD stuff, I haven't ripped or burned a CD for donkeys sorry Lee
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
mh
Above the Chemist

Today I get to explain to somebody that a mailbox created in June can't have emails prior to June in it. And I just know I'm going to be asked "why".

Not really "currently geeking" other than to observe that the BOFH is true, all of it.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

"On two occasions, I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
-- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
—Bertrand Russell
Pista
Cureboi

A new 4K player.
Getting it set up is proving to be somewhat of a bastid though
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
EvilBastard
Overbomber

4K? Pah! when I was a nipper my ZX81 had 4 times as much K, and setting it up was a doddle (granted, you needed some plasticine to stick the Ks to the back of the machine, since wobbles=crash, but still).
Hank Moody
Pista
Cureboi

EvilBastard wrote: 20 Jul 2020, 17:56 4K? Pah! when I was a nipper my ZX81 had 4 times as much K, and setting it up was a doddle (granted, you needed some plasticine to stick the Ks to the back of the machine, since wobbles=crash, but still).
I wish it were as simple as plasticine.
This beastie has 2 HDMI outs. One for audio & one for video.
Problem: TV doesn't support DTS Master Audio & AV amp doesn't support some HDR certification.
Solution: Video to TV & Audio to AV amp.

HDR & Dolby Vision look amazing now. But cannot for the life of me get the amp (which supports all DTS codecs) to output the DTS master audio.
Not effing happy. :evil:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
iesus
Overbomber

4K? :?
I am missing the old wooden Grundig B/W analog tv with big buttons, wooden frame and no remote already :urff: :roll:
This might sound like nostalgia but i have watched the entire Christopher Lee's and others like Bela Lugosi, Boris Carlov, Peter Cushing, Vincent Price and so on in that one and i enjoyed them more than today's kids in their 4K.
In fact i believe what you see matters more than the monitor that you use to watch :notworthy: :bat: :bat:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
Pista
Cureboi

Finally solved it.
Have to pull the ARC cable out because it hogs the audio output coming from the player & pipes it back through the amp which is exactly what I wanted to avoid because the amp just gets 2 channel PCM that way.
Multi channel DTS MA & True HD now in play ;D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

iesus wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 08:41 4K? :?
I am missing the old wooden Grundig B/W analog tv with big buttons, wooden frame and no remote already :urff: :roll:
This might sound like nostalgia but i have watched the entire Christopher Lee's and others like Bela Lugosi, Boris Carlov, Peter Cushing, Vincent Price and so on in that one and i enjoyed them more than today's kids in their 4K.
In fact i believe what you see matters more than the monitor that you use to watch :notworthy: :bat: :bat:
cathode ray tube was better picture. fact. plasma screens -no matter how high def or how many k aren't as good. end of. :von:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

these:

:wake: :hl:

;D :lol:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Big Si
School Bully

Quiff Boy wrote: 07 Oct 2020, 15:52 https://808303.studio/
:eek:

:notworthy: :von:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Big spaceships

markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Quiff Boy wrote: 12 Oct 2020, 13:41 Big spaceships

Wot no Culture ships?
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

markfiend wrote: 12 Oct 2020, 16:15
Quiff Boy wrote: 12 Oct 2020, 13:41 Big spaceships

Wot no Culture ships?
There's a ringworld, which is about as near as you'll get I guess.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Actually, "about as near as you'll get I guess" sounds like a culture ship name. :D

GSV about as near as you'll get I guess
Swinnow
Overbomber

This thread is Experiencing a Significant Gravitas Shortfall :lol:
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....