Geek Anvil (currently geeking...)

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

😂
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Have bought myself a new desk mount for my monitor:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/1home-Ergonomi ... 01MZ70QJB/

Will create some desk space for th enew Xbox Series X that's coming on Nov 10th ;)
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Started tidying up my Sisters bootleg collection in iTunes (or Apple Music, as it's now called) :D

Tagged them all with the genre of "live", and have found that creating smart playlists which filter on the band name and the genre, combined with "album title contains [year]" breaks it down nicely, and really helps me see what I have and don't have :D :wake:

Sidenote: I may be trawling the Sharing section soon... ;)
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Quiff Boy wrote: 14 Oct 2020, 19:19 ...iTunes (or Apple Music, as it's now called) :D...
Just like they promised The Beatles that they wouldn't... :roll:
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

hah
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

wow!

sultan2075
Overbomber

Wow is right! Very cool.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Well this is impressive. My PC at work is still switched on as I need to be able to shell into it while working from home. However I daren't trigger a reboot remotely just in case it doesn't come back up so...

Code: Select all

$ uptime
 15:51:25 up 210 days, 24 min, 21 users,  load average: 0.30, 0.18, 0.11
(The 21 users are because I've got that many sessions running within GNU screen terminal multiplexer.)

Like they say, Linux needs to be rebooted about as often as Windows needs to be reinstalled ;D
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
mh
Above the Chemist

markfiend wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 15:49 Well this is impressive. My PC at work is still switched on as I need to be able to shell into it while working from home. However I daren't trigger a reboot remotely just in case it doesn't come back up so...

Code: Select all

$ uptime
 15:51:25 up 210 days, 24 min, 21 users,  load average: 0.30, 0.18, 0.11
(The 21 users are because I've got that many sessions running within GNU screen terminal multiplexer.)

Like they say, Linux needs to be rebooted about as often as Windows needs to be reinstalled ;D
Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to stay up for 210 days is insignificant next to the power of the Force.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
mh
Above the Chemist

Quiff Boy wrote: 14 Oct 2020, 19:19 Started tidying up my Sisters bootleg collection in iTunes (or Apple Music, as it's now called) :D

Tagged them all with the genre of "live", and have found that creating smart playlists which filter on the band name and the genre, combined with "album title contains [year]" breaks it down nicely, and really helps me see what I have and don't have :D :wake:

Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to categorise Sisters bootlegs is insignificant next to the power of the Force.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Swinnow
Overbomber

:lol: :lol:

I managed to order most of my bootlegs by year of recording, but some of those pesky bootleggers insist on doing multi-year compilations which bugger up my simplistic indexing and send me to drink muttering 'it was never offside and Pickford should have been sent off' and when will this sentence ever end.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

mh wrote: 17 Oct 2020, 16:12 Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to stay up for 210 days is insignificant next to the power of the Force.
:lol: :notworthy:
—Bertrand Russell
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

mh wrote: 17 Oct 2020, 16:14 Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to categorise Sisters bootlegs is insignificant next to the power of the Force.
mh
Above the Chemist

CG - a petabyte of storage. I've never seen a petabyte of storage before - it's surprisingly small. Like, you'd fit it in one server rack kind of small. AND IT'S ALL MINE! (cackle)
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I still remember the first hard drive I saw, about 50cm by 50cm by 25cm and it stored an incredible 10 whole megabytes! :lol:
—Bertrand Russell
mh
Above the Chemist

markfiend wrote: 22 Oct 2020, 15:03 10 whole megabytes!
Swinnow
Overbomber

Post Office boldly goes....
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

Interesting selection of supporting crew! A few are Brits I think...?
Being645
Above the Chemist

In the middle of some eBay transaction i suddenly received a message across the screen saying:

"Congrats. You've just listed spam and eggs from the cow's perspective (paperback).
Check your listing or sell another item."

... :lol: :lol: :lol: ... Heaven knows, could be true.I'm looking for a tablet or a surface and they all are datasuckers and expensive.

But still ... :?: :!: ...Where can such a message come from?

I ran a search and found this website ... but I'don't dare to click on anything there.
https://ebay.github.io/mindpatterns/mes ... index.html

Any opinions, please ...
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

It looks as though someone has tried to install some helpful popup on their ebay page... and failed :lol:
—Bertrand Russell
Swinnow
Overbomber

Watching the Mars landing on the NASA Channel on You Tube.
Husek
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Quiff Boy wrote: 14 Oct 2020, 19:19 Started tidying up my Sisters bootleg collection in iTunes (or Apple Music, as it's now called) :D

I'm currently considering uploading all my bootlegs to an AWS S3 bucket, label/control them with dynamodb and access it via a serverless lambda, so that I can have my own bargain-bin-spotify with sisters bootlegs, I still have to see how much that'd cost me per month
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Oooh, nice @Husek

What client would you use to play them?
Husek
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Quiff Boy wrote: 19 Feb 2021, 10:27 Oooh, nice @Husek

What client would you use to play them?
A custom HTM5-based React.js (since that's my thing nowadays) client, it's a bunch of npm packages glued together, but hey it supports FLAC and everything :lol:
Project Personal Dok
Hardware: 100% (Single Hackintosh)
AU: 90%
Software: 90%
The Final Floorshow - My Own Sisters T-Shirt Shop
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Swinnow wrote: 18 Feb 2021, 20:18 Watching the Mars landing on the NASA Channel on You Tube.
That was just awesome wasn't it? ;D
—Bertrand Russell