Gift reissue plus extras

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Pista
Cureboi

Hello @Moderate Mick & welcome to the forum :)
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Nyth Grandbeard
Amphetamine Filth

I really hope the Gift Reissue comes through, don't own the original pressing. Plus owning something with Von's signature on it would be pretty awesome, especially as someone like me who lives in the states and will probably never get a chance to see the band in person.
Pista
Cureboi

Hello @Nyth Grandbeard & welcome to Heartland
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Nyth Grandbeard
Amphetamine Filth

Pista wrote: 12 Nov 2020, 07:20 Hello @Nyth Grandbeard & welcome to Heartland
Thank ya chief, been a lurker for a while but decided what the heck, and made an account.
ruffers
Overbomber

Last night I dreamed I was watching downhill skiing on the telly and there was a banner ad by the side of the course for this release but Sisterhood was spelled wrong. Make of that what you will.

And hi Nyth!
Chucking another log on
Swinnow
Overbomber

ruffers wrote: 12 Nov 2020, 18:35 Last night I dreamed I was watching downhill skiing on the telly and there was a banner ad by the side of the course for this release but Sisterhood was spelled wrong. Make of that what you will.

And hi Nyth!
Some dreamy fool let Von do the proof reading again after those tour t shirts :lol:
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
DJElectricDaddy
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth
Location: Where the sun shines bright. Where the rain don’t fall

I was really excited about this when I heard about the project. It’s become one of my favorite albums, but I only ever listen to it on YouTube. I’d love to get a new CD version. eBay has been pretty much a bust. So the reissue for me at least is most welcomed just as an opportunity to get a shiny clean disc
Somewhere on a tiny planet
crawl some ants called the human race
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
Cedarjet
Amphetamine Filth

Anyone heard any news about this lately?
Trying is the first step towards failure
(Homer Simpson)
Pista
Cureboi

Cedarjet wrote: 29 Dec 2020, 11:51 Anyone heard any news about this lately?
Not here. I had to tell them to stop spamming me with emails about all the other stuff they were flogging. I figured if there was any news I'd see it here anyway.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Electrochrome

This was announced what, 15 months ago? Can anyone vouch for their track record with other releases? Twitter feed has bits about Killing Joke, Peter Hook, etc.

Still think that if this has to go through AE, it's never going to happen. I don't think he's been behind any re-release of material? CD and vinyl re-releases of the albums were all by the record companies. He has literally no upside with this one, either.

If Trump runs again in 2024, I wonder if he'll promise another album...
"Consistency is the sign of a decaying brain"
Nyth Grandbeard
Amphetamine Filth

Electrochrome wrote: 29 Dec 2020, 13:54 This was announced what, 15 months ago? Can anyone vouch for their track record with other releases? Twitter feed has bits about Killing Joke, Peter Hook, etc.

Still think that if this has to go through AE, it's never going to happen. I don't think he's been behind any re-release of material? CD and vinyl re-releases of the albums were all by the record companies. He has literally no upside with this one, either.
The whole part about the reissue being signed by Eldritch is my biggest red flag. I feel like there is no way he'd take time out of his day to sign what, 100-something copies let alone 1000s.
mh
Above the Chemist

Nyth Grandbeard wrote: 07 Jan 2021, 21:01
Electrochrome wrote: 29 Dec 2020, 13:54 This was announced what, 15 months ago? Can anyone vouch for their track record with other releases? Twitter feed has bits about Killing Joke, Peter Hook, etc.

The whole part about the reissue being signed by Eldritch is my biggest red flag. I feel like there is no way he'd take time out of his day to sign what, 100-something copies let alone 1000s.
Thing is, this was official and supported by the band - flyers were distributed at the merch stall at gigs. All the evidence is that it's just fallen victim to the usual Eldritch procrastination, which is a shame as it could have been great. The moral of the story is: if you're a record company and you want to do a Sisters-related release, better off that it be something you can release without having to get the band involved.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Bonksi
Amphetamine Filth

You'd think that AE would jump at a chance like this, I can't see that he can have made a lot from touring in the last year, and it kinda is money for old rope for him. Unless he is so busy in the studio doing sisters IV album he can't find the time to ok a re-release. Shame that he won't release new material or old and can't tour either, I hope he has a good paper round or part time job in Tesco.
Swinnow
Overbomber

He's too busy chairing MR's 'eeenie, MEANIE, miney, mo" deliberations over t-shirt reissues and associated graphic typo corrections.
Bonksi
Amphetamine Filth

:lol: :lol:
Swinnow
Overbomber

On a semi-related note I was listening to old live versions of Rain From Heaven and it dawned on.me that parts of the guitar intro are similar to United by Judas Priest, surely a coincidence or my poor ears. Then again did anyone ever see Von and Rob Halford together? If they fancied putting the Glitter (spandex) pants on again they could give us a live laugh and cover Priest's 'Take On The World' as the good Doktor would love it.
Bonksi
Amphetamine Filth

I only know Breakin the Law by JP, and I know what Rod looks like. I have never seen AE or JP in a room together either....could be the same person... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Electrochrome

mh wrote: 08 Jan 2021, 11:47
Nyth Grandbeard wrote: 07 Jan 2021, 21:01

Thing is, this was official and supported by the band - flyers were distributed at the merch stall at gigs. All the evidence is that it's just fallen victim to the usual Eldritch procrastination, which is a shame as it could have been great. The moral of the story is: if you're a record company and you want to do a Sisters-related release, better off that it be something you can release without having to get the band involved.
Exactly...and that's why we at least got nice remastered versions of the three albums back in 2006. I'll take it, even if Vision Thing has a typo on the spine (was it "Visioin Thing"?)

Maybe it's the painstaking process of figuring out which "extras" to include? 2021 looks like another year off, so maybe he'll find the time...
Pista
Cureboi

Electrochrome wrote: 09 Jan 2021, 18:53
mh wrote: 08 Jan 2021, 11:47
Exactly...and that's why we at least got nice remastered versions of the three albums back in 2006. I'll take it, even if Vision Thing has a typo on the spine (was it "Visioin Thing"?)
The remasters weren't that great to be fair. Nice to have the extras, but the remastering left a lot to be desired. As did the spelling ;)
As for the whole Gift thing. I had reservations from the start. Typos in the initial announcement didn't exactly fall in line with Von's "quality control" mantra. Not to mention the torrent of spam email from Cadiz.
I've left flyers on numerous merch stalls that were in no way officially endorsed, so I'm not sure that's evidence of any official involvement. Although I may be wrong. Which, going on my last pool shot decision, could well be the case.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

I've already got Gift on CD

And someone did a digital rip of the Giving Ground single edits years ago, so I have those too.

🤷‍♂️

I'm mildly curious about what any extras might be, but I can't see them being much other than the Giving Ground 7" A and B sides, and if we are "lucky" some remastered (read: de-hissed and re-eq'd) Floodland demos we've already heard from one of the many old boots

https://sisterswiki.org/Floodland_Demos_(1986)
https://sisterswiki.org/Kill_The_Lights

I'd love it be wrong but, assuming this thing ever does see the light of day, I seriously doubt there's going to be any gold in them thar' hills.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Pista
Cureboi

Quiff Boy wrote: 09 Jan 2021, 20:54 I've already got Gift on CD

And someone did a digital rip of the Giving Ground single edits years ago, so I have those too.

🤷‍♂️

I'm mildly curious about what any extras might be, but I can't see them being much other than the Giving Ground 7" A and B sides, and if we are "lucky" some remastered (read: de-hissed and re-eq'd) Floodland demos we've already heard from one of the many old boots

https://sisterswiki.org/Floodland_Demos_(1986)
https://sisterswiki.org/Kill_The_Lights

I'd love it be wrong but, assuming this thing ever does see the light of day, I seriously doubt there's going to be any gold in them thar' hills.
I'd agree with that. I have Gift & Giving Ground vinyls too & have digital transfers & I'm not so sure they can be bettered. I think this whole Cadiz thing was BS to be honest.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Event Horizon
Road Kill

It's just a f**king joke, Eldritch is not even able to release a record that he has actually already released.

Sorry, pathetic :urff:
Pista
Cureboi

Event Horizon wrote: 10 Jan 2021, 11:07 It's just a f**king joke, Eldritch is not even able to release a record that he has actually already released.

^^^^
This. & it's not like he hasn't had a whole year doing sweet Felicity Arkwright either.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Electrochrome

Event Horizon wrote: 10 Jan 2021, 11:07 It's just a f**king joke, Eldritch is not even able to release a record that he has actually already released.

Sums up what most of us are thinking. Time to move onto anticipation of the next single...
Swinnow
Overbomber

Give him his due, he has had to correct the "non-tour" t-shirt typo :lol:

Though the very existence of the typo exhibits a lack of the total control that has been largely taken for granted by sad acts like myself.

I still live in the hope that the auld bugger springs a surprise.
Last edited by Swinnow on 10 Jan 2021, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.