COVID-19 coronavirus

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
Pista
Cureboi

Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
OLDFART
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

:lol:
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

so am i the only one who's been seeing endless news reports about a vaccine in this country? that they are hoping to roll out from the start of december? because nobody here has mentioned it and its definitely not news all over europe as you would think it should be (certainly my girlfriend in germany hasnt seen it mentioned anywhere). :?:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
sultan2075
Overbomber

Pfizer claims to have a vaccine that is 90% effective. We’ll see.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Being645
Above the Chemist

sultan2075 wrote: 13 Nov 2020, 01:25 Pfizer claims to have a vaccine that is 90% effective. We’ll see.
The same over here at Biontech, their partner company in Germany ... their currently running study looks very promising
and an application for drug approval in the US is envisaged for the coming weeks, but it is very unlikely that vaccinations
are available before spring next year.
sultan2075
Overbomber

Yes, spring next year strikes me as wildly optimistic. I just got this in my email from Johns Hopkins: https://hub.jhu.edu/2020/11/11/pfizer-v ... 37eaf299d9
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
zaltys7
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

sultan2075 wrote: 13 Nov 2020, 01:25 Pfizer claims to have a vaccine that is 90% effective. We’ll see.
Aren't they a racing team on Wipeout? :D
"We have too many cellphones. We've got too many internets. We have got to get rid of those machines. We have too many machines now." - Ray Bradbury.
DJElectricDaddy
Location: Where the sun shines bright. Where the rain don’t fall

Pista wrote: 11 Nov 2020, 10:42
Fantastic. Be seated but keep your undies on.
Somewhere on a tiny planet
crawl some ants called the human race
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
eastmidswhizzkid

this article wrote: Coronavirus: Vaccine may mean 'normality' by Easter ....
............................................................................................
The government instructs the NHS to prepare to begin rolling out the inoculations from December.
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- ... r-12128921

this was basically the headline news here earlier this week.

sam donut
Some Kind of Donut

"If government doesn't screw it up".
Ah, now then! Everything's fine, so!
OLDFART
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

sam donut wrote: 14 Nov 2020, 01:34 "If government doesn't screw it up".
Ah, now then! Everything's fine, so!
:lol:
Pista
Cureboi

I think the first period of not being able to go anywhere in the evening (can't call it lockdown as it's not) exhausted all the good films to watch
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Pista
Cureboi

Have just taken a care parcel (slippers, jim jams, magazines, phone charger, snacks) to the wife of an elderly neighbour who's in hospital in Veszprem with a blood clot on the brain.
Really impressed with the setup at the door to take packages for patients seeing as it's not allowed to visit anyone right now. 3 nurses in full head to toe PPE & they even squirted my hands with stuff before I left. Which was nice :)
All very efficient, but a lot of really worried looking people there realising they can't visit their rellies.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Pista
Cureboi

Remember when governments were telling everyone not to hoard & stockpile stuff from the shops? Yeah, about that.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
eastmidswhizzkid

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55244122

so everything's as good as sorted then? ffs...

markfiend
goriller of form 3b

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 10 Dec 2020, 18:40 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55244122

I'd rather chance a one-in-several-thousand risk of a non-fatal allergic reaction to the vaccine than a one-in-one-thousand risk of dying if I catch the virus. But maybe that's just me.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
eastmidswhizzkid

markfiend wrote: 11 Dec 2020, 11:46
eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 10 Dec 2020, 18:40 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55244122

I'd rather chance a one-in-several-thousand risk of a non-fatal allergic reaction to the vaccine than a one-in-one-thousand risk of dying if I catch the virus. But maybe that's just me.
i agree with you with regard to myself, but i have only ever had one allergic reaction in my life (to penicillin actually as a baby). however there are people close to me with a massive history of being allergic to practially everything, some of which have been life-threatening. some of those, people with life-threatening asthma for example, are already in the high risk group and are more in need of a vaccine than others. also the allergic reactions mentioned here may not be the most serious affect the vaccine could have . its a waiting game innit.

markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Yeah sorry I didn't mean to minimise the potential of allergies to severely harm some people.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
alanm
Amphetamine Filth

It's really nice of the developed world to test these things out in advance of the rest of us. In a couple years when it's out my way I expect all the kinks to be ironed out, mkay?
Do you remember a time when angels... do you remember a time when fear?
In the days when I was stronger, in the days when you were here?
eastmidswhizzkid

markfiend wrote: 11 Dec 2020, 14:32 Yeah sorry I didn't mean to minimise the potential of allergies to severely harm some people.
dont be soft. you are, and remain, one of the kindest and most considerate people on the planet Brother Mark. just saying is all. :kiss:

sultan2075
Overbomber

Here’s a very interesting (and technical) piece on the vaccine by Jerry Coyne (emeritus, Chicago): https://whyevolutionistrue.com/2020/12/ ... f-science/
--
DJElectricDaddy
Location: Where the sun shines bright. Where the rain don’t fall

sultan2075 wrote: 28 Dec 2020, 18:43 Here’s a very interesting (and technical) piece on the vaccine by Jerry Coyne (emeritus, Chicago): https://whyevolutionistrue.com/2020/12/ ... f-science/
The images would not,load on Safari iOS but the article was a fascinating read. Thankful for smart people in this world. Too bad the radical religious look upon that sort of science as black magic devil worshipry. Be sad if our species proved to have the knowledge to fix our problems but we’re too stupid to put it to good use
Somewhere on a tiny planet
crawl some ants called the human race
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
Swinnow
Overbomber

That religious right wing lot you have over there seems to be both dangerous and as thick as mince. They were featured in a few of the pre-Presidential election documentaries screened in the UK . Most people I know just laughed at the dumb gets but I found them quite worrying as some people over there seem to take them seriously.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
Electrochrome

Swinnow wrote: 29 Dec 2020, 01:03 That religious right wing lot you have over there seems to be both dangerous and as thick as mince. They were featured in a few of the pre-Presidential election documentaries screened in the UK . Most people I know just laughed at the dumb gets but I found them quite worrying as some people over there seem to take them seriously.
More than seriously. They're a very significant faction in business and politics. Perhaps not as up front as when George W. Bush was POTUS (because he was more conversant with them) but they're a major force in the USA.
"Consistency is the sign of a decaying brain"
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

They ain't no Christians, bro
I just can't keep living on dreams no more