Live Stream

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Gethz
Road Kill

Given all the other bands organising such concerts....

Could they do it? Would it work?
Swinnow
Overbomber

The answer is clearly 'Yes', but the will has to be there too.

Technical details can be sorted readily with a few phone calls to people they already know.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
DJElectricDaddy
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth
Location: Where the sun shines bright. Where the rain don’t fall

Given how easy it is to produce and publish live video these days I don’t understand why every band isn’t doing this with every show/tour.

I think the defining factor is the control of the supply/demand ratio. Or laziness.
Somewhere on a tiny planet
crawl some ants called the human race
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

I 'd rather watch the fog with badly dubbed audio. 😂😂
Goths have feelings too
Swinnow
Overbomber

I don't think today's environmental laws allow the fogscapes we saw in the early 80's.
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

DJElectricDaddy wrote: 16 Nov 2020, 19:05 Or laziness.
Nail. Head.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

It's not out of laziness, to my believe it's out of, said, control of supply and demand.

But with TSOM we could get decent audio quality, and could hear AE vox/words.

But i'm not sure i would want to attend at this, i mean, by coincidence yestarday i've heard jazz concert on FB, it was good, but it could not work with every band/gener - interaction, all that imperfections, exchange of energy (yes, i know, it sounds like feik shmung rubbish) make the gig to memorable.
ruffers
Overbomber

ribbons69 wrote: 18 Nov 2020, 10:54
DJElectricDaddy wrote: 16 Nov 2020, 19:05 Or laziness.
Nail. Head.
These ive streams can be an amazing opportunityh to produce something great with effort. The Streets one was brilliant https://www.nme.com/reviews/live/the-st ... ar-2723445 and I urge you to watch the second showing of it on December 2nd https://shops.ticketmasterpartners.com/ ... wUxNRJdX00 No Connection obviously beyond it was great.

Then there's the straight live show. Sleaford Mods did this and it was good, but it really leans on the energy and anger the singer brings to the show, in close up, without the crowd energy. I just don't think it'd work for the Sisters.

Which is a shame.
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

the more i think about it, the more i'd tend to agree @ruffers

we all know sisters gigs can be patchy affairs at times

there are many things that help make a sisters gig a "good" one, and i suspect most of those would be missing from a live streamed "behind closed doors" setup - the smoke, the crowd, the banter, etc - and i suspect a live stream would expose some of the frailties in von's voice even more

the sisters live have never been a "sit down and watch from your sofa" kind of experience, unlike for example NMA who's live renditions of songs still work on a cerebral level even when you're not trashed out of your face and spinning around in the mosh pit. the sisters live renditions rely on speed and adrenaline, and a lot of crowd energy.

i just don't think it would translate well to what is effectively a camera in a rehearsal :(
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Pista
Cureboi

Quiff Boy wrote: 18 Nov 2020, 17:25
i just don't think it would translate well to what is effectively a camera in a rehearsal :(
Plus they'd need to secure enough rugs :innocent:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Swinnow
Overbomber

Von securing a rug???

Winter is coming baldylocks.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Very true @Pista
Being645
Above the Chemist

Oh hell, a Sisters gig without the crowd chorus ... no way.

We all oughta get into a zoom session or so ... :bat: :lol: :bat: ;D :bat: ...
DJElectricDaddy

I dunno man. I hear your u, that unique X factor of ‘experience’ is the missing ingredient of a live streamed gig. However, in my later years, the gigs I can be bothered/have the energy/an interested enough in going to number in low LOW single digits. Doesn’t mean I can’t appreciete live music performed well and MIXED WELL (ie no s**t phone cam bootlegs).

I’ve never seen the Sisters live, and probably never will seeing as I don’t live in Germany England or Belgium. I have on the other hand watched Wake a hundred times. I don’t the ‘crowd’ makes a defining impact on that video. Well shot. Well mixed. Lots of dry ice. A recipe even Delia would love
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
ruffers
Overbomber

Being645 wrote: 18 Nov 2020, 23:54

We all oughta get into a zoom session or so ... :bat: :lol: :bat: ;D :bat: ...
This :x :x
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
alanm
Amphetamine Filth

I'm not sure I'd be that interested in a TSOM live stream. As others have pointed out it might be a bit awkward.

I would be interested in a stream of Von working away at the new single and the Gift re-issue. Even though it might look something like this, with less hair.
Do you remember a time when angels... do you remember a time when fear?
In the days when I was stronger, in the days when you were here?
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

alanm wrote: 19 Nov 2020, 11:49 I'm not sure I'd be that interested in a TSOM live stream. As others have pointed out it might be a bit awkward.

I would be interested in a stream of Von working away at the new single and the Gift re-issue. Even though it might look something like this, with less hair.
hahah

something something on the beach something something
mh
Above the Chemist

Yeah, a large part of the Sisters experience is physically being there. Von would also need convincing that a live stream could be something other than what's already available multiple times over on YouTube, and I don't see that happening.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
timsinister
The Oncoming Storm

I like the idea of a Heartland Zoom meeting though!
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

timsinister wrote: 19 Nov 2020, 16:17 I like the idea of a Heartland Zoom meeting though!
I feckin' don't. I'm spending half my working life in Teams calls at the moment (and it's frequently for stuff I neither know nor care about) so the last thing I want to do in my downtime is more of the same.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
DJElectricDaddy

markfiend wrote: 19 Nov 2020, 17:09
timsinister wrote: 19 Nov 2020, 16:17 I like the idea of a Heartland Zoom meeting though!
I feckin' don't. I'm spending half my working life in Teams calls at the moment (and it's frequently for stuff I neither know nor care about) so the last thing I want to do in my downtime is more of the same.
Ha because 2020
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
DJElectricDaddy

mh wrote: 19 Nov 2020, 15:26 Yeah, a large part of the Sisters experience is physically being there. Von would also need convincing that a live stream could be something other than what's already available multiple times over on YouTube, and I don't see that happening.
Again, lucky you, you must live in Germany Belgium or England. f**k the rest of the world then eh?
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
sam donut
Some Kind of Donut

I'd definitely watch one, but certainly take on board the points made above as to why it wouldn't be the authentic live experience.
Maybe The Sisters might do it better if, instead of doing a live stream, they pre-recorded a set, or half a set, with a load of dry ice and lights, and they could maybe even do a bit of double tracking on vox etc. Pop on a live bass? Only do the new songs? Hey hey it's essentially a new album with visuals. I'd pay upwards of a tenner for that.

Wishful thinking, I imagine, but.
Pista
Cureboi

sam donut wrote: 19 Nov 2020, 19:05 I'd definitely watch one, but certainly take on board the points made above as to why it wouldn't be the authentic live experience.
Maybe The Sisters might do it better if, instead of doing a live stream, they pre-recorded a set, or half a set, with a load of dry ice and lights, and they could maybe even do a bit of double tracking on vox etc. Pop on a live bass? Only do the new songs? Hey hey it's essentially a new album with visuals. I'd pay upwards of a tenner for that.

I'd certainly pay for it, but they would need more than double tracking the vocals I fear.
Otherwise it's going to be like Vic Reeves' club singer on Shooting stars
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
sam donut
Some Kind of Donut

Pista wrote: 19 Nov 2020, 21:49
sam donut wrote: 19 Nov 2020, 19:05 I'd definitely watch one, but certainly take on board the points made above as to why it wouldn't be the authentic live experience.

I'd certainly pay for it, but they would need more than double tracking the vocals I fear.
Otherwise it's going to be like Vic Reeves' club singer on Shooting stars
😂

I take the point! My initial thought was that there was no reason it had to be a live thing, and they could pre-record some video as an anniversary treat, but the more I picked at that particular scab the more I realised they might as well record an album as do that.