Paint My Name In Black and Gold: The Next Phase

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
ruffers
Overbomber

This came a couple of days ago -

WAITING FOR ANOTHER WAR: NEWSLETTER 4
26 August 2020

IMG 2998
Hello Sisters fans,

The second printing is now announced on the website here.

There is a new update showing a few more photos here.

On Friday morning the portal for pre-ordering will be live and I will send another newsletter with the password.

Thank you all for your continued interest and patience.

Trevor

https://www.gkwfilmworks.com/sisters-updates

Sorry about the lack of hyperlinks...
Chucking another log on, reversing the polarity of the neutron flow
Swinnow
Overbomber

Got your books crossed there bro.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

after having a long lie down afetr seeing how many arms and legs it would cost to get "waiting...." i would love to have a copy of the one already paid for.

as trevors book isnt actually published whats to stop a print run from the mainland so european fans -original and best- can buy it?
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
copper
Amphetamine Filth

I see one Claire Shearsby has pledged for the book.

That's about as close to 'official' as the good MAndrews can hope for ;)
AndyTGNEW
Road Kill

I today (sunday?) received a email from The Royal Mail (UK) that my paperback edition (I already have the hardback) is about to leave the US of A for delivery in the UK
Big Si
School Bully

AndyTGNEW wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 22:52 I today (sunday?) received a email from The Royal Mail (UK) that my paperback edition (I already have the hardback) is about to leave the US of A for delivery in the UK
Swinnow wrote: 28 Aug 2020, 23:48 Got your books crossed there bro.
What Swinnow said over a Month ago :wink:
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
AndyTGNEW
Road Kill

Big Si wrote: 05 Oct 2020, 19:52
AndyTGNEW wrote: 04 Oct 2020, 22:52 I today (sunday?) received a email from The Royal Mail (UK) that my paperback edition (I already have the hardback) is about to leave the US of A for delivery in the UK
Swinnow wrote: 28 Aug 2020, 23:48 Got your books crossed there bro.
What Swinnow said over a Month ago :wink:
Bugger - Damn Blast And Bugger It . So I have. I blame CV19
Being645
Above the Chemist

Is there actually any new on the release of this book?
Big Si
School Bully

Being645 wrote: 30 Nov 2020, 19:47 Is there actually any new on the release of this book?
It's going through the final Processes that do take a bit of time. We'll probably all receive the Book sometime before Next Summer.
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
mh
Above the Chemist

And we'll definitely receive it before Gift, But Genevieve and whenever the next one arrives.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Swinnow
Overbomber

mh wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 19:43 And we'll definitely receive it before Gift, But Genevieve and whenever the next one arrives.
:lol:
I think we run the risk of Trump being re-elected in 2024 before any next one arrives.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
ww23
Road Kill

I have to admit that all this crowdfunding business gets rather tedious for me. I mean, let's face it, writing a book may take ages yes, but then I also think that one should write a book and THEN start the crowdfunding.
Pledged and paid for this book in November 2018 and now, 2 years later, still nothing in sight; yes, I know, we got informed that the process (also on the Unbound side of things) takes long.
Meanwhile the excellent Waiting For Another War book dropped and that's how it should be done.
I am also waiting for another "pledged" book (different band and author and platform) for more than 2 years now and I also remember Pledge Music (https://www.pledgemusic.com/) who one day just went bankrupt while tons of people had their money invested there. Me, too (another book that never came to fruition and nothing was ever heard about it again, money gone to Pledge and no chance of getting it back).
I know this Sisters book will come out and it will be good but it is all just a tedious process and I think one has to say that sometimes.
mh
Above the Chemist

The thing with WFAW is that we didn't see the long drawn-out process that came before. That we didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't exist, and the book didn't just drop out of nowhere. 2 years so far for PMNIBAG is small beans by comparison.
If I told them once, I told them a hundred times to put 'Spinal Tap' first and 'Puppet Show' last.
Electrochrome
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

mh wrote: 25 Dec 2020, 11:42 The thing with WFAW is that we didn't see the long drawn-out process that came before. That we didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't exist, and the book didn't just drop out of nowhere. 2 years so far for PMNIBAG is small beans by comparison.
Agreed. They're not sending blow by blow accounts, I have to assume the writing, editing, etc etc just takes time and presumably he has a day job competing with this project. Still looking forward to this, will be a nice surprise some day...
"Consistency is the sign of a decaying brain"
MAndrews
Amphetamine Filth

Just a brief update before we see the back of 2020 ... the structural (or development) edit has been completed. Nothing major needed, so minimal re-writing. It is going for detailed copy editing early in January. Same time as the legal read. Unbound have chosen their cover image - very, very familiar. There is a shortlist of images for the 16 pages on the inside for the Production team to work with. So the book is 'written' - has been for a while and we are working our way through the systems and stages of editing and production essential in publishing. Book has a release date in 2021. Basically, 12 months from a finished manuscript to appearing in pledgers' letterboxes and in bookshops ...
Icon
Amphetamine Filth

MAndrews wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 17:21 Just a brief update before we see the back of 2020 ... the structural (or development) edit has been completed. Nothing major needed, so minimal re-writing. It is going for detailed copy editing early in January. Same time as the legal read. Unbound have chosen their cover image - very, very familiar. There is a shortlist of images for the 16 pages on the inside for the Production team to work with. So the book is 'written' - has been for a while and we are working our way through the systems and stages of editing and production essential in publishing. Book has a release date in 2021. Basically, 12 months from a finished manuscript to appearing in pledgers' letterboxes and in bookshops ...
Hi Mark,
thank you for the update. 12 months from the written manuscript?? :eek:
Didn‘t you say you handed over the manuscript in January 2020? That would mean early next year, am I right?
Would be at least something to look forward to in these terrible times. :wink:
MAndrews
Amphetamine Filth

My final manuscript went to Unbound in August. So about 12 months from then ... Took a few months more than I was expecting to complete: not Covid-related, more to do with increased participation from band members. (No, not that one). Since we hit 100%, it took me a year to write. It was never the plan to write it and then see if it funded. As of now, from my pov, I'm virtually done. The m/s has been through it's developmental/structural edit which I've responded to. Nothing huge, which is a good sign. That editor's job is to rip the guts out of dodgy manuscripts. When he heard he had a 'rock bio' incoming he had his knives sharpened. He left it largely in tact and wrote a report that I'd happily see as a review. The copy edit - the nitty gritty, micro stuff is next - after I respond to that, it's typesetting and so on ... in parallel with that, there are legal issues to tie up and to nail down quote attribution, photo permissions et al: vital stuff but not writing per se. So everything is on track for 2021. For the book-type-book and the PDF supplement ...
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Thanks Mark. 🙌

It’s a crazy amount of work that goes into a book like this and it’s important to remember that not all the time it takes is the author’s choice.

There are clearly many steps to this process, and it involves the time and efforts of many people.

Thank you for your explanations and updates, and I know we all look forward to getting our hands on a copy 🤓👍
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
mh
Above the Chemist

As should be clear from Mark's Quietus pieces, he doesn't mess around. When he delivers, he delivers. I know as Sisters fans we're used to unfulfilled promises and whatever meagre crumbs we do get being flawed, but in this case we should feel that we're in safe hands. :notworthy:
Electrochrome

MAndrews wrote: 01 Jan 2021, 15:53 My final manuscript went to Unbound in August. So about 12 months from then ... Took a few months more than I was expecting to complete: not Covid-related, more to do with increased participation from band members. (No, not that one). Since we hit 100%, it took me a year to write. It was never the plan to write it and then see if it funded. As of now, from my pov, I'm virtually done. The m/s has been through it's developmental/structural edit which I've responded to. Nothing huge, which is a good sign. That editor's job is to rip the guts out of dodgy manuscripts. When he heard he had a 'rock bio' incoming he had his knives sharpened. He left it largely in tact and wrote a report that I'd happily see as a review. The copy edit - the nitty gritty, micro stuff is next - after I respond to that, it's typesetting and so on ... in parallel with that, there are legal issues to tie up and to nail down quote attribution, photo permissions et al: vital stuff but not writing per se. So everything is on track for 2021. For the book-type-book and the PDF supplement ...
We're a patient lot, and as it's been noted if the book is an extended version of those Quietus pieces this will be a home run. Curious...unless I'm mistaken, one of those Quietus pieces had what sounded like new/recent quotes from AE about the old days. Were those from communication with you? Or taken from another source?

Thanks again!
MAndrews
Amphetamine Filth

I interviewed Eldritch in Nov 2016 for the first tQ piece. Radio silence since then ...
Electrochrome

Just got an email update from Unbound:

Good news! Our editorial team have reviewed the final manuscript of Paint My Name In Black And Gold and we’re excited to let you know it’s entering pre-press.

Pre-press is publishing speak for all the steps that happen to get a manuscript ready for printing, like:

Copy editing
Cover design
Typesetting
Proofreading
Keep an eye on your inbox – we’ll periodically ping you updates on how the project's going as it moves through the publishing process.
Being645
Above the Chemist

So, maybe by Easter ... :D :D :D ...
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Being645 wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 05:30 So, maybe by Easter ... :D :D :D ...
better than chocolate ;D ...although Deicide has its appeal
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Icon
Amphetamine Filth

There is progress :D !
Today I received an e-mail from unbound asking if I wanted the name of the supporter printed in the book changed.
They said that after May 27th any changes might not make it into the book. Seems to me that it‘s going to be printed pretty soon. :D :D :D
Not much longer to wait fortunately ;D