Gift reissue plus extras

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

Not sure he even has much to do with merch these days.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
Swinnow
Overbomber

So is it more of a licensing of the brand operation, a bit like with Virgin? Can we expect Reptile House to move off shore to maybe the Isle of Man or Channel Islands?
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
abridged
Slight Overbomber

Event Horizon wrote: 10 Jan 2021, 11:07 It's just a f**king joke, Eldritch is not even able to release a record that he has actually already released.

Sorry, pathetic :urff:
Think we all need to calm down a bit. I presume nobody really knows :von: personal life. Perhaps he has a very good reason for not rereleasing it. There are more things in these mad times to be angry at than a Gift reissue.
The Chancer Corporation
Bonksi
Amphetamine Filth

As nobody really knows whats going on, it could be official, it could all be bollox, there is no point getting angry, a bit miffed maybe, but not angry.

As @abridged said, we don't know whats going on in AE's personal life, he could be smacked to the tits in Croatia, reading books in Hamburg, getting pissed in Leeds or, he could be really f**king(censored!!!) ill...lets hope not, but it is a possiblity unfortunatly.

Cadiz could have hyped the re-release before speaking to AE, and then he could have turned them down flat but they carried on with the ad's and email?. I dunno, and neither do you, we are all guessing at this point and we seem to be mainly enjoying it.

It's a bit of a shame though, I was really curious about the 'extras' and would have loved a new pressing of Gift, but hey ho, life goes on without newer sounding 35 year old music :lol:.

You never know, it might come out next month....
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

As much as we like to blame Eldritch for every single delay or issue we have with The Sisters, I strongly suspect this is entirely a Cadiz fuck-up.

I have no evidence of this, but every single thing about it has smelled a bit fishy.

I just don't think Eldritch had much to do with it in the first place.

And as many folks have pointed out here, it's just a record. A really old record. That isn't even that amazing.

Many grips need to be gotten.
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Agreed: this is down to Cadiz.

Note to chancers in the record industry: Don't go around promising signed material from Eldritch (for example) until you actually have the signatures.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

It's only a record, yes. And only a re-release, maybe with a couple of new edits. So why get so excited? Because there are the only crumbs that have been offered for about 20 years maybe? Let's face it, we don't have much else to get excited about, other than how exactly how indecipherable AE's voice will be next time they tour.

Also, I really like Gift. I find this a really interesting period. Give me a time machine and the opportunity to persuade AE to make a full Gift-style album rather than VT, and I'd take it. I may be alone in that, of course...
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
DReifZ
Road Kill

My guess is that there will be no real news on this until they can finally tour again. If AE is actually considering a new release, be it a single or a Gift reissue, it will be done like a week before the tour. That way they can sell it during the gigs while it's still fresh.
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

MrChris wrote: 11 Jan 2021, 12:57 It's only a record, yes. And only a re-release, maybe with a couple of new edits. So why get so excited? Because there are the only crumbs that have been offered for about 20 years maybe? Let's face it, we don't have much else to get excited about, other than how exactly how indecipherable AE's voice will be next time they tour.

Also, I really like Gift. I find this a really interesting period. Give me a time machine and the opportunity to persuade AE to make a full Gift-style album rather than VT, and I'd take it. I may be alone in that, of course...
He's already done a full "Gift" style album, "Floodland". As for Vision Thing, I've always thought that was him being jealous of The Mish headlining festivals and arena's and thinking " Well, I could do that".
As far as "Gift" goes, Von wasn't interested in it at the time, it was just rushed out to spite Wayne and Craig over the name "The Sisterhood" so I'm certainly not surprised that he's not interested in it almost thirty five years later.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Swinnow
Overbomber

To be honest, it was the 'Giving Ground' single that was the two fingers to Wayne and Craig. I have always viewed Gift as basically an extended 12" release of that single as, to me, there was little extra there to warrant much repeated listening. The 1990 Wembley Arena gigs equalled The Mish's UK arena status at that time as I don't think we had the likes of the MEN or even Sheffield Arena in those days. Having said that though, The Mish, in the '86 to '90 period, were probably the best British live rock band of that time, in my totally unbiased opinion, of course ;)
Event Horizon
Road Kill

I'm not angry, but 27 years after "Under The Gun", i think i'm beginning to see a pattern :lol:

27 years (cough)...

We live in the year 2021 and there are so many possibilities to go new ways as an artist or musician.
A nice "live" album in perfect quality as a document of time or something similar, but absolutely nothing, purely nothing.

Just stupid Shirts.

But...
I think "Gift" is a small and underrated masterpiece and I would be very happy to get a signed vinyl edition including bonus material!

Cheers
Last edited by Event Horizon on 12 Jan 2021, 20:03, edited 1 time in total.
Bonksi
Amphetamine Filth

MrChris wrote: 11 Jan 2021, 12:57
As far as "Gift" goes, Von wasn't interested in it at the time, it was just rushed out to spite Wayne and Craig over the name "The Sisterhood" so I'm certainly not surprised that he's not interested in it almost thirty five years later.
Didn't he say say some thing a long the lines of "use it and kill it" regarding The Sisterhood name?, so he could just being true to his word or might not have known a thing about it.

As others have said its probably Cadiz f**k up. Bastards. :lol:
DJElectricDaddy
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth
Location: Where the sun shines bright. Where the rain don’t fall

Event Horizon wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 19:21 I think "Gift" is a small and underrated masterpiece and I would be very happy to get a signed vinyl edition including bonus material!

Cheers
Totally agree one of my fave albums. Would love to see a remastered version come to life, new extras or not
Somewhere on a tiny planet
crawl some ants called the human race
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
OLDFART
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

DJElectricDaddy wrote: 13 Jan 2021, 04:50
Event Horizon wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 19:21 I think "Gift" is a small and underrated masterpiece and I would be very happy to get a signed vinyl edition including bonus material!

Cheers
Totally agree one of my fave albums. Would love to see a remastered version come to life, new extras or not
Same here
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Event Horizon wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 19:21 I'm not angry, but 27 years after "Under The Gun", i think i'm beginning to see a pattern :lol:

27 years (cough)...

The pattern is that not everyone wants to be doing the same job they were doing 27 years ago. When Vision Thing was released Von was 31. What the majority of this forum (and probably the wider Sisters fanbase" fails to realise that not everyone has the same motivations in their sixties as they did in their thirties. Von is in a position where if he doesn't want to do anything then he doesn't have to. Regardless of how easy or not it would be to release an album, if he wanted to do it, he would have done already.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
Swinnow
Overbomber

Event Horizon wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 19:21 27 years (cough)...
Well, I waited longer for Liverpool to win the league again so there is always hope ;)
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

ribbons69 wrote: 13 Jan 2021, 15:49Regardless of how easy or not it would be to release an album, if he wanted to do it, he would have done already.
I think you're right. Sadly.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Event Horizon
Road Kill

Swinnow wrote: 13 Jan 2021, 16:07
Well, I waited longer for Liverpool to win the league again so there is always hope ;)
Hahahahahahahaha... What a great answer 8)
Last edited by Event Horizon on 13 Jan 2021, 19:11, edited 1 time in total.
Event Horizon
Road Kill

ribbons69 wrote: 13 Jan 2021, 15:49
Event Horizon wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 19:21 I'm not angry, but 27 years after "Under The Gun", i think i'm beginning to see a pattern :lol:

27 years (cough)...

The pattern is that not everyone wants to be doing the same job they were doing 27 years ago. When Vision Thing was released Von was 31. What the majority of this forum (and probably the wider Sisters fanbase" fails to realise that not everyone has the same motivations in their sixties as they did in their thirties. Von is in a position where if he doesn't want to do anything then he doesn't have to. Regardless of how easy or not it would be to release an album, if he wanted to do it, he would have done already.
I understand completely, yes :notworthy:
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

will be 2 in a row by the end of this season eh Chris ;D 8) :bat:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Swinnow
Overbomber

Mr Whizz, as the song says, there is 'hope in my heart'. Just need to see off those Red Mancs at the weekend.

A single release or a 'radio session' might be nice though.
sultan2075
Overbomber

FWIW, Gift is one of my all-time favorite records, and I'd love a remastered version. But If Andy is in a position where he doesn't actually need to do these things, then good for him (as much as I'd like this and a new record).
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
Pista
Cureboi

Problem with remasters these days is that most of them are well & truly ruined. Brick walled into oblivion by someone who thinks it should be louder.
There was nothing really wrong with Gift at all in terms of mastering. It'd be hard to improve it to be fair.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Wilkstein
Road Kill

Was going to make the same point, what is there to re-master? It sounds fine as it is. It'll just end up being overcooked.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 13 Jan 2021, 19:17
will be 2 in a row by the end of this season eh Chris ;D 8) :bat:
How do you do a rolling round in the floor pissing myself emoji :idea:

To be fair Gift never pulled the birds in the same way as Floodland did.
Goths have feelings too