COVID-19 coronavirus

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Some of the nonsense contained herein may be very loosely related to The Sisters of Mercy, but I wouldn't bet your PayPal account on it. In keeping with the internet's general theme nothing written here should be taken as Gospel: over three quarters of it is utter gibberish, and most of the forum's denizens haven't spoken to another human being face-to-face for decades. Don't worry your pretty little heads about it. Above all else, remember this: You don't have to stay forever. I will understand.
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

DJElectricDaddy wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 02:18
markfiend wrote: 03 Feb 2021, 10:27 Mention of "natural herd immunity" above: There ain't no such thing. We get herd immunity from vaccines. That's it.
Well I’m not sure I’d entirely agree with that. Sure evolution has to play a role too, natural selection and all that
Really? Natural selection hasn't done very well against the common cold, and it's had plenty of time to have a go.
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"
Tom G Warrior of Celtic Frost

we fall to rise
DJElectricDaddy
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth
Location: Where the sun shines bright. Where the rain don’t fall

ribbons69 wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 11:15
DJElectricDaddy wrote: 04 Feb 2021, 02:18
markfiend wrote: 03 Feb 2021, 10:27 Mention of "natural herd immunity" above: There ain't no such thing. We get herd immunity from vaccines. That's it.
Well I’m not sure I’d entirely agree with that. Sure evolution has to play a role too, natural selection and all that
Really? Natural selection hasn't done very well against the common cold, and it's had plenty of time to have a go.
It’s actually the common cold I was thinking of. Nowadays it’s merely a mild annoyance, but I would have to imagine at some much earlier point in time individuals with a weaker immune system died from it leaving a stronger healthier population. I mean that process has worked on every other aspect of human and animal evolution so why would it not work regarding other organisms like a virus. The old agade that which doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, no?
Somewhere on a tiny planet
crawl some ants called the human race
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

I know it's a bit more complicated, but if common cold is an argument for winning natural selection then why not cancer? :wink:
DJElectricDaddy

Bartek wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 13:59 I know it's a bit more complicated, but if common cold is an argument for winning natural selection then why not cancer? :wink:
Because cancer isn’t a viral infection 😜
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
Pista
Cureboi

I took a couple of elderly friends to Veszprem today to get their first shot.
They were nervous on the way there but very excited on the way back. Maybe because I bought them a bucket of KFC hot wings as a treat :D
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

Pista wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 22:51 I took a couple of elderly friends to Veszprem today to get their first shot.
They were nervous on the way there but very excited on the way back. Maybe because I bought them a bucket of KFC hot wings as a treat :D
I've had my first shot this morning, however no KFC was forthcoming for me :cry:

On the upside, fraulein ribbons is currently making me a bacon sandwich :D
"I've seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I've given him the benefit of the doubt"

we fall to rise
Bartek
Underneath the Rock

DJElectricDaddy wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 22:48
Bartek wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 13:59 I know it's a bit more complicated, but if common cold is an argument for winning natural selection then why not cancer? :wink:
Must say that's pretty good argument. :notworthy:
My bad, mea stupidity.
DJElectricDaddy

Bartek wrote: 07 Feb 2021, 21:23
DJElectricDaddy wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 22:48
Must say that's pretty good argument. :notworthy:
My bad, mea stupidity.
Hell no not at all. I was being kinda flippant. I don’t know any more than the next guy I’m a graphic designer not a lab researcher. I’m making huge leaps of assumption.

However.....

My high school son who is in honors biology and science Olympiad studying heredity, and he loves to show off his big brain around the dinner table. And this is what I heard from him on the subject.

Virus are living organisms and the body can develop the instructions in DNA to fight off that kind of infection over time. Cancer is a cellular mutation, therefor the body has no way of understanding how to fight it. Some cancers are too new to the body sbut haven’t learned about it yet, while things like skin cancer have to some degree been able to genetically evolved out of our systems (through folite adsorption or something science science science I didn’t understand). Also, in the early humans, a virus may attack the body and we either survive and pass on the resistance code, or die and weed out the poor resistance code from the gene pool - natural selection. Cancer however usually occurs later in life when we have already procreated and passed on our genetic material.

Anyhow, fascinating subject and I’m glad there are smart people in the world who can understand it and make use of it.

Also, vaccines are the literal opposite of herd immunity
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
OLDFART
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

At the hospital yesterday the amount of people I saw who ignored the system in place for minimising contact was shocking , people who should know better and just ignored staff when they were told :x
Electrochrome

The state-by-state system for vaccination is a sh*tshow. Apparently they are rolling out the army in sections of the country to help administer...
"Consistency is the sign of a decaying brain"
Chaotican

I’ve had my second long enough ago to be immune now.

I don’t advertise it in my regular life at all so I haven’t had a chance to really say this: You have no idea just how crazy s**t got until you see it from here.

It feels like coming to life after being encased in stone and one by one, more people are waking up. The things that were my whole world a few weeks ago are now so much less consequential. Balance returns in all things.

Hang in there.

(Also, the second shot SUCKS. So badly. Take the next day off, at the very least.)
Pista
Cureboi

Chaotican wrote: 16 Feb 2021, 07:44
(Also, the second shot SUCKS. So badly. Take the next day off, at the very least.)
I've also heard this from friends who've had both shots now.
I guess it's preferable to the possible alternative though
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Swinnow
Overbomber

My sister reported slightly raised temperature and intermittent minor headaches in the 12-36hr period after her second jab. (Pfizer version back in January). This suggests no big deal to me.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
Chaotican

Swinnow wrote: 16 Feb 2021, 11:43 My sister reported slightly raised temperature and intermittent minor headaches in the 12-36hr period after her second jab. (Pfizer version back in January). This suggests no big deal to me.
Mine was Moderna, but I think it’s more that I’m a pussy. ;) 102 fever and a severe headache like a cracking vice when I moved and I was trying to work, but my arm hair hurt when I moved my mouse. 😄 (I avoided meds that may have helped, to be fair; wanted my body to just react without help.) I’m glad your sister got it!
Swinnow
Overbomber

I hope you're feeling better now. Incidentally, I heard 5mins ago that my niece, who is at Newcastle Uni, has just tested positive, so it's still a real worry. Here's hoping the vaccine programme continues apace and we don't repeat last year's rush to unlock idiocy, despite the wishes of the takers of the Murdoch dollar at talkRadio like Julia Partly Fuhrer and Mike Graham.
Pista
Cureboi

Swinnow wrote: 16 Feb 2021, 13:42 Julia Partly Fuhrer
I've heard a lot of her aliases but that one is the best so far :lol: :notworthy:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
emilystrange
Above the Chemist

I approve
I just can't keep living on dreams no more
Quiff Boy
Herr Administrator

moi aussi :lol:
What’s the difference between a buffalo and a bison?
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

I have my appointment for the implantation of my 5G nanotech tracker... er I mean my Covid vaccine on Sunday.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Pista
Cureboi

I did think this was quite funny.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Swinnow
Overbomber

The Liverpool Echo is a shadow of it's former self. It now comes out in the morning and, worst of all, is printed in M*nch*st*r.
Swinnow
Overbomber

Re-open the House of Commons bars first 24/7 and hope for rapid natural selection to take place. Co-incidentally we might solve some of the Brexit issues too. Two birds with one stone, an efficient solution.
OLDFART
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

Swinnow wrote: 22 Feb 2021, 22:50 Re-open the House of Commons bars first 24/7 and hope for rapid natural selection to take place. Co-incidentally we might solve some of the Brexit issues too. Two birds with one stone, an efficient solution.
:lol:
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Oh I forgot to mention that I did get the vaccine on Sunday - I got the Pfizer one and I can now hear Bill Gates's thoughts. ;)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
ribbons69
Slight Overbomber

markfiend wrote: 23 Feb 2021, 10:06 Oh I forgot to mention that I did get the vaccine on Sunday - I got the Pfizer one and I can now hear Bill Gates's thoughts. ;)
I had the Astra Zenica variant three weeks ago, sadly my Lizard DNA powers have yet to manifest.

we fall to rise