Book: Waiting For Another War

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Got off Amazon now on my Kindle

Top work Sir
Goths have feelings too
bismarck
Utterly Bastard Groovy Amphetamine Filth

paint it black wrote: 27 Mar 2021, 21:30 Got off Amazon now on my Kindle

Top work Sir
Many thanks to you too Ez.
The great questions of the day will not be
resolved by speeches and majority decisions,
but by iron and blood.
- Otto von Bismarck
Wilkstein
Road Kill

Finished the book in two days. Fantastic work all around and keeping my fingers crossed there will be a follow-up covering the 1986-93 period. That Dave Dickson quote perfectly encapsulates the sentiment of what it was like to discover the Sisters for the first time and why it continues to have such a strong hold over so many people for so long.
bismarck

Wilkstein wrote: 28 Mar 2021, 16:11 Finished the book in two days. Fantastic work all around and keeping my fingers crossed there will be a follow-up covering the 1986-93 period. That Dave Dickson quote perfectly encapsulates the sentiment of what it was like to discover the Sisters for the first time and why it continues to have such a strong hold over so many people for so long.
Thanks very much. Yes, I love that Dickson quote too -- always stuck with me.
but by iron and blood.
- Otto von Bismarck
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Rating & reviewing as soon as i roll this cig.

re: lyric interpretation in the book: whilst i disagree with some of your interpretations (for example some are at odds with recorded statements by Eldritch and/or other "inner-circle" members with regard to the meaning) it was fully preceeded by your own statement that they were your personal opinion. which is fine as its your book! [/my two penn'orth]

as for Eldritch -he IS like that by all accounts. mark says so...wayne says so....EVERYONE says so....even Andrew. beelieve me if i thought he had been portrayed badly i would have said. the book is EXCELLENT Trevor. end of. :von:

EDIT:c**t wont let me review cuz i dont spend money there. sorry mate. i have told as many people about it as possible but there are sections of the fanbase who ...arent HLers (thanks Chris!) i am sending reviews to some of my Goth model friends for inclusion on their websites as well. the older goths on the scene seems to be taking some responsibility for the whirling confusion the younger generation have with regard to the boiling (anti-)question : WHAT IS GOTH??? lol so glad i am old.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
GC
Slight Overbomber

bismarck wrote: 18 Mar 2021, 15:36
GC wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 22:11 And just ordered through Rough Trade... looking forward.
Thank you.
Just finished. Excellent, brilliant, everything.... Perfect. Very informative and very readable. Thanks.

Will review shortly on Amazon.
GC
Slight Overbomber

Wilkstein wrote: 28 Mar 2021, 16:11 Finished the book in two days. Fantastic work all around and keeping my fingers crossed there will be a follow-up covering the 1986-93 period.
Totally agree.... but just thinking if it was an idea to do part 2 up to 1997.... The SSV was the last nail in the Sisters recording history. Just a suggestion (wish).
bismarck

Thanks EastMids and GC for those posts.
GC wrote: 31 Mar 2021, 22:30 ...just thinking if it was an idea to do part 2 up to 1997.... Just a suggestion (wish).
That's a great idea.
but by iron and blood.
- Otto von Bismarck
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

"I got nothing to say I ain't said before"

I read the whole book in about five hours. It's a gripping account of the rise and fall of what is still seen, decades later, by many fans as the "classic lineup" of The Sisters Of Mercy. Following the Sisters from their beginnings in 1980 in post-industrial Leeds to the brink of greatness five years later at their seminal "Wake: A Festival of Rememberance" concert at the Royal Albert Hall, Trevor Ristow has synthesised a number of primary and secondary sources to construct a compelling narrative and detailed character studies of those involved.

The story as a whole almost feels like Spinal Tap at times, with tales of sexual excess, heroic drug consumption, and eventually physical and mental breakdown. Whether you're a fan of the Sisters or you've never heard of them, this is simply a fascinating account of a band which started out poking fun at rock star cliches only to find themselves living them.

Even the most trivia-obsessed Sisters fan is likely to find unfamiliar new nuggets of information and even surprises.

The Sisters have not released a record since 1993, and yet still draw live audiences of a size to rival any they played to in the 80s; this book might help you understand why they still command such a loyal following.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

The above is my review on amazon for the kindle version.
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
bismarck

markfiend wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 18:29 The above is my review on amazon for the kindle version.
Many thanks for that great review Mark.
but by iron and blood.
- Otto von Bismarck
MrChris
Slight Overbomber

I just finished reading the book last night. What a great read it is. I thought there wouldn't be much new to learn, but there were some great insights and quite a few things I hadn't known before. Hearing from fans from the time was an excellent touch. I really liked the interpretation of the songs, and the overall themes seemed completely convincing to me.

That said, I felt really depressed when I'd finished it. Not the author's fault, of course! Just my bad luck in becoming a massive fan of The Sisters in 1990, when it was more or less all over bar the shouting. I really got into them in a big way - they meant so much to me as a teenager, and still do today. Emotionally and intellectually. We got some terrific songs out of it, which I'll always love. But whenever I think seriously about the criminal waste of talent it all was...About the three or four albums we could have had by now...The book really brought home how it was doomed from the start, pretty much, by Eldritch's personality.
Chris

---------------------------------------------
Again and again and again...
bismarck

Louder Than War has just put up a new review and interview of Waiting For Another War here:

https://louderthanwar.com/waiting-for-a ... -of-mercy/

My thanks to Paul Grace.

but by iron and blood.
- Otto von Bismarck
Being645
Above the Chemist

bismarck wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 13:07 Louder Than War has just put up a new review and interview of Waiting For Another War here:

https://louderthanwar.com/waiting-for-a ... -of-mercy/

My thanks to Paul Grace.
A good interwiew and lovely to read, thank you for the link ... :) ...
... and a great photo of Wayne. Do you think I might use it for
the SistersWiki (mentioning © of course) ?
Swinnow
Overbomber

It's still amusing to think of the early 80's Faversham pub as the northern 'goth' centre. In those days it's main clientele was the students from the nearby Charles Morris Hall and it was like their student bar. 'Charlie Mo' was very much the rich kids hall and seemed to have an over representative number of public school folk in it's cohort. They came from all musical tribes, but mainly the, then popular new romantic or blitz kid look. We lived over the road in the Springfield Mount student houses. Our Led Zep t-shirts slightly distanced us from that crowd and we went on a different journey. Back then 'goth' didn't really exist and was only ever spoken about in laughing terms when the music press bigged up this London thing around the Batcave. We viewed it as a cliche, and, perhaps snobbily, still do.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
eastmidswhizzkid

shared the review to a couple of darkling groups on FB & my profile

eastmidswhizzkid

eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 16:47 shared the review to a couple of darkling groups on FB & my profile
i think ive sold a few for you with that in the NMA group

Swinnow
Overbomber

NMA? Darklings? I can only picture Joolz laughing her bangles off. Justin was at pains to tell the youngest they were a blues band with an element of punk a few years ago.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
eastmidswhizzkid

Swinnow wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 18:15 NMA? Darklings? I can only picture Joolz laughing her bangles off. Justin was at pains to tell the youngest they were a blues band with an element of punk a few years ago.
The darkling group is Mick Mercer's "When Goth Was Goth!." Joolz loves me anyway. :von:

bismarck

At first I thought this thread had been deleted but now I see it's been pinned. Thanks QB.
eastmidswhizzkid wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 17:41 i think ive sold a few for you with that in the NMA group
Thank you! I have sold a few in the last couple days. Dodgy darkling groups, NMA, spread the word everywhere. I very much appreciate your crossposts.
but by iron and blood.
- Otto von Bismarck
bismarck

Being645 wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 14:44 A good interwiew and lovely to read, thank you for the link ... :) ...
Thank you, glad you enjoyed. It was fun to do.

Yeah, that's a terrific shot of Wayne. I think you are safe to use it, just © 1985 Sherri Durrell. I'm sure she'd be pleased. FYI it's London Lyceum 24 March, according to the photographer.

Also the photo is never before seen, except for maybe some small, forgotten post about the book on Facebook, I can't even recall.
but by iron and blood.
- Otto von Bismarck
Big Si
School Bully

It only took 6.5 Months, but the missing Parcel finally arrived :eek:

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmA ... kingnotify
Wyrd bið ful aræd...

mybelgiannemesis
bismarck

Big Si wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 22:20 It only took 6.5 Months, but the missing Parcel finally arrived :eek:

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmA ... kingnotify
That is so crazy. Covid I suppose...

Thanks for the update Si.
but by iron and blood.
- Otto von Bismarck
Being645
Above the Chemist

bismarck wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 15:48
Being645 wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 14:44 A good interwiew and lovely to read, thank you for the link ... :) ...
Thank you, glad you enjoyed. It was fun to do.

Yeah, that's a terrific shot of Wayne. I think you are safe to use it, just © 1985 Sherri Durrell. I'm sure she'd be pleased. FYI it's London Lyceum 24 March, according to the photographer.

Also the photo is never before seen, except for maybe some small, forgotten post about the book on Facebook, I can't even recall.
It's just a very nice shot. I have added it to the page in the SistersWiki, which is not very elaborated, but hell ... now it looks better ... :wink: :D ... Thank you very much, and even more of course Sherri .... :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ...

https://sisterswiki.org/Wayne_Hussey
bismarck

Being645 wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 16:32 I have added it to the page in the SistersWiki, which is not very elaborated, but hell ... now it looks better ... :wink: :D ... Thank you very much, and even more of course Sherri .... :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ...

https://sisterswiki.org/Wayne_Hussey
Looks great, thank you.
but by iron and blood.
- Otto von Bismarck