RSD BBC Sessions release

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
Swinnow
Overbomber

That was said when the sessions were released in digi formats.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
Pista
Cureboi

LyanvisAberrant wrote: 08 Apr 2021, 16:16 ...is von testing the waters?
This release (& the digital ones) has sod all to do with him.
It's WEA cashing in.
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
markfiend
goriller of form 3b

Just a thought but why were the BBC sessions never released back in the 80s?

Oh. Wait. Was Eldritch unco-operative? (And I don't mean he was operating an unco.)
The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
—Bertrand Russell
Swinnow
Overbomber

Wasn't there the then standard tosh about squabbles? But all around there was the usual whiff of control freakery.
czuczu
Overbomber

I thought no-one knew who actually owned the rights due to missing/not signed paper work. Whereas the approach these days seems to be if you have the tapes then f**k it, release it and see if anyone complains ;)
czuczu
Overbomber

He'll still get most of the publishing
GC
Slight Overbomber

Do you think AE will buy it? Is he a completist when it comes to his own stuff?
Swinnow
Overbomber

czuczu wrote: 08 Apr 2021, 16:54 I thought no-one knew who actually owned the rights due to missing/not signed paper work. Whereas the approach these days seems to be if you have the tapes then f**k it, release it and see if anyone complains ;)
Missing/unsigned paperwork on three distinct occasions with (probably) differing people involved seems unlikely.
Todashi
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I think that basically unless a piece of news/release etc is on the main band website, it's safe to presume it's nothing to do with them.

So unless something is posted about this, it's probably that this is just Warner further exploiting their legacy ownership of the material. But hey, at least that means that someone somewhere knows that there's value in it still in 2021. So that's something.

So 4,000 copies being pressed at £42 means a cash take of 168,000 pounds, not far off 200,000 euro. If it sells out, that's not a bad thing from the point of view of showing that there's still a market for the Sisters, although I suppose you could argue at least some of the people who would buy an old release may not buy a new one?
czuczu
Overbomber

I think BBC Worldwide own the sessions/live recordings outright so Warner would have agreed a fee to license this release, presumably limited to 4000 copies.
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

paint it black wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 21:06 Shussh Don't tell everyone
No! for dog's sake dont tell the amoeba on facepond -there's only 4000 copies ! & i wants one my preshusssshhhh! :evil:
Swinnow wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 22:41
Pista wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 21:56 Warner cashing in again?
Unpossible.
It'd be far funnier if WEA released 'Go Figure'.
you want drums wiv dat?
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Pista
Cureboi

According to Analogue Planet
Limited edition of 10,000 copies, $21.98
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
Todashi

Hey the facts are that any release is better than no release. It means that somebody somewhere thinks they can make a return on investment from The Sisters of Mercy.

That's a positive thing in Sisters land.

Of course, I'd prefer if it was done by the band themselves, but maybe it'll light a fire under Von. Who wouldn't be annoyed at the idea that someone other than you is making money off of you? There's gold in them there hills.
Pat
Slight Overbomber

Pista wrote: 09 Apr 2021, 07:24 According to Analogue Planet
And 1LP. The link to the official RSD site at the top of this thread shows 2LP and a play list...but if you check RSD releases on the official site it shows 1LP . Ach well time will tell.

Skeletal Family in there as well
Nyth Grandbeard
Road Kill

Todashi wrote: 09 Apr 2021, 09:12 Of course, I'd prefer if it was done by the band themselves, but maybe it'll light a fire under Von. Who wouldn't be annoyed at the idea that someone other than you is making money off of you? There's gold in them there hills.
Maybe this will be the inciting incident that will egg Von on to get the Gift reissue ball rolling again.

Or maybe not, he can be a rather fickle fellow sometimes, can't he?
:von: Check out my Comic series: https://unhingedcomic.com/ :von:
Todashi

Nyth Grandbeard wrote: 09 Apr 2021, 18:04 Maybe this will be the inciting incident that will egg Von on to get the Gift reissue ball rolling again.
Yeah, but he's usually fickle in a way that serves himself - touring when he wants and not when he doesn't, recording when he wants and not when it's not on his terms. Obviously I don't know the guy so I've no real insight into his personality other than that which can be gleaned by observing him from a distance through his public work, but I'd be surprised if he's thrilled about this.

Meanwhile, he's sitting on AT LEAST an album's worth of unheard music and/or multiple tracks less than 18 months old that have been played like and that he COULD record and released pretty easily. At the rate he's going, he could easily put out another two or three albums over the next five or six years, and tour into the sunset. If he wanted to. Someone making cash off your back in a way that feels unfair is quite a motivation.

If I was him, and I was in the middle of a sudden spurt of creativity, I'd be watching the sales on this RSD release like a hawk.
BigPhil
Amphetamine Filth

Pat wrote: 09 Apr 2021, 11:24
And 1LP. The link to the official RSD site at the top of this thread shows 2LP and a play list...but if you check RSD releases on the official site it shows 1LP . Ach well time will tell.

Well the 12 songs clock in at about 47mins, just over 1 disc but not really enough to fill 2, unless side 4 is etched. I guess they could fade some tracks to fit on 1 disc :lol:
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

Todashi wrote: 09 Apr 2021, 19:17
Nyth Grandbeard wrote: 09 Apr 2021, 18:04 Maybe this will be the inciting incident that will egg Von on to get the Gift reissue ball rolling again.
Yeah, but he's usually fickle in a way that serves himself - touring when he wants and not when he doesn't, recording when he wants and not when it's not on his terms.
that's not fickle. that's doing WHAT you want, WHEN you want and HOW you want. that's being the Captain of your own ship and the Master of your own Destiny. Nobody is or ever has been The Boss of Andrew.
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
Nikolas Vitus Lagartija
Overbomber

BigPhil wrote: 09 Apr 2021, 19:31
Pat wrote: 09 Apr 2021, 11:24

Well the 12 songs clock in at about 47mins, just over 1 disc but not really enough to fill 2, unless side 4 is etched. I guess they could fade some tracks to fit on 1 disc :lol:
Surely they could have bunged the OGWT tracks on Side 4 to make it look slightly less of a rip-off...
Being645
Above the Chemist

Some sellers obviously think German collectors particulary numb ...
https://www.ebay.de/itm/THE-SISTERS-OF- ... Swr7RgcBkO
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Who is on for going quarters with me for one?
Goths have feelings too
Swinnow
Overbomber

I'd have assumed the German collectors were Comfortably Numb.

I've got me coat...
Pista
Cureboi

paint it black wrote: 09 Apr 2021, 21:47 Who is on for going quarters with me for one?
It only has 3 sides. Thirds okay?
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
paint it black
Black, black, black & even blacker

Pista wrote: 09 Apr 2021, 22:06
paint it black wrote: 09 Apr 2021, 21:47 Who is on for going quarters with me for one?
It only has 3 sides. Thirds okay?
:lol: that was my point
Goths have feelings too
Erudite
Slight Overbomber

I wouldn't mind, but there are at least half a dozen releases in drop 1 that I'd be happy with, which makes dragging my arse out of bed and queuing (something I only do in extremis) worth while.
But this is the only release of drop 2 I've any interest in, which probably means a lot of effort for bugger all return.

Yeah, I know, me and my first world problems! :wink: :lol:
You are what you drink - I'm a bitter man!