A Sisters Tribute album?

THE place for your Sisters-related comments, questions and snippets of Sisters information. For those who do not know, The Sisters of Mercy are a rock'n'roll band. And a pop band. And an industrial groove machine. Or so they say. They make records. Lots of records, apparently. But not in your galaxy. They play concerts. Lots of concerts, actually. But you still cannot see them. So what's it all about, Alfie? This is one of the few tightly-moderated forums on Heartland, so please keep on-topic. All off-topic posts will either be moved or deleted. Chairman Bux is the editor and the editor's decision is final. Danke.
alanm
Amphetamine Filth

Well since we're getting amateur. One of my lockdown projects was learning to use a DAW.

Among other things it resulted in this act of musical thuggery:
Do you remember a time when angels... do you remember a time when fear?
In the days when I was stronger, in the days when you were here?
Pista
Cureboi

There was a While We're Waiting.. thread some years back.
Raf's version of Summer was outstanding.
Someone described it as "so heavy you couldn't lift it off the turntable" :lol:
Cheers.
Steve
Just like the old days

TheCureCommunity
sultan2075
Overbomber

czuczu wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 11:58 Not a fan of the faux Johnny Cash / Hurt approach

This is alright , should be rowdier tho

That's a very blatant attempt to imitate the Pogues (at least until the heavy guitar comes in)! So yes, should definitely be rowdier. The vocalist is doing his best Shane MacGowan impersonation, and it's... kind of annoying, actually.
LyanvisAberrant wrote: 30 Apr 2021, 10:16 Sisters covers require originality.
Nobody should ever listen to my cover of giving ground. But I'm pretty proud of my version of Summer, as the best attempt two 16 year olds could do.
I quite like the vocal on this, actually. Is that you?
Suleiman wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 19:54

Covers of Sisters' songs tend to be dreadful, but I quite like this one.
Yeah, this one is very good. I've heard it before, so presumably you posted it here before.
Quiff Boy wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 23:34

cant work out how i feel about this one tbh
I think that's my view. It's unique though, and it's not unique for being bad like a lot of Sisters' covers. I've heard much worse.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
sultan2075
Overbomber

Oh, he did Heartland too:

I'm actually listening to some of his other stuff and really quite enjoying it. He's got two EP's up on Bandcamp, but there's a lot more posted on youtube.
--
The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities, that makes it seem inconceivable that other ways are viable, that removes the sense that there is an outside.
dinky daisy
Slight Overbomber

Actually, it's always alarming when bands mention sisters as their influence in a bio or so. It's always about the sunglasses, baritone voice, bla bla. Never a good sign.
guns & cars & accidents
Swinnow
Overbomber

I get what you mean totally. Any fule kno it was all about the gaily coloured shirts and the very tight trousers.

edit - to correct any possible legal actions or threats of same via friendly journo's
Last edited by Swinnow on 30 Apr 2021, 21:37, edited 2 times in total.
....if I have to explain, then you'll never understand....
iesus
Overbomber

This Abrimaal? :innocent: :innocent: :bat:
'Are we the Baddies?'...
"Someday! Someday, everything you need, is just gonna fall out of the sky..." -A.E. Reading 1991
"Don't forget that most of the judges in witches trials had harvard degrees."
DJElectricDaddy
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth
Location: Where the sun shines bright. Where the rain don’t fall

Can I play?

The covers I listen to regularly are the KissKass remixes. Some are pants but a lot are very enjoyable

Then there are these

Yeah these fall under the hateful ‘straight’ cover song. Other than synth bass and some thick pad sounds I kept pretty true to the originals. Hate if you must. As for the baritone, can’t do anything about that that. That’s what I was born with. Lots of songs I’d like to cover but I don’t have the range. Sisters covers make sense.

Thinks that funny? I’m finishing up a cover of Damage Done. Obviously that’s nothing like the original. And on that I’ll leave you alone again
Somewhere on a tiny planet
crawl some ants called the human race
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

A proper and decent tribute to The Sisters would be to LISTEN to them instead of ruining their songs. By all means pay "homage" to them in the privacy of your own ... "homagery" ...after all we are all consenting adults aren't we ? i'm sure - but like all onanistic deviancy better not done in public eh? YOU dont murder my faves and thrust them upon mine ears and i wont wank on your front lawn. :von:

EDIT: before any fucker says it, that includes Lamb Chop -in fact Lamb Chop MOST OF ALL!
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
eastmidswhizzkid
Faster Than The Light Of Speed

there was a Leicester band called "Grumble Grinder" who released a 12" single with a cover of Lucretia on it. The bands varied line-ups members over the years are all -to differing degrees- of my aquaintance/friendship.
To date i have acquired and snapped in half at least 6 copies of this record (the last one in front of my good friend Paul who had just searched through his belongings for a copy under the mistaken notion that after i had snapped a couple years back i had now repented and would really love a copy...oops! SNAP!) :twisted:
Well I was handsome and I was strong
And I knew the words to every song.
"Did my singing please you?"
"No! The words you sang were wrong!"

:bat:
million voices
Slight Overbomber

I partly agree. The covers of Sisters songs that have had a studio release I think are largely redundant.
However, covers of unreleased I do like. They give me some very small idea of what a studio version could sound like and, to quote Sun Tsu, "Owt is better than nowt".
Well you must know something
'Cos we're dying of admiration here
Mastering obscure alternatives
alanm
Amphetamine Filth

Personally I quite like many of the TSOM covers, and cover songs in general, as long as they bring along something new.
Like Tori Amos covering Smells Like Teen Spirit, you gotta do something the audience and original performer didn't imagine.
As indeed the covers of other bands the Sisters themselves recorded do.
Do you remember a time when angels... do you remember a time when fear?
In the days when I was stronger, in the days when you were here?
Kutan
Gonzoid Amphetamine Filth

I really liked the Paradise Lost version of Walk Away when it came out in 1995. Even more than the original, tbh (maybe because to me it was always one of the weaker songs on FALAA that could use a little more heavy guitar and Hetfield shouting :wink: ).

Sisters covers in general are problematic. Most of the times it's indeed dodgy darklings that want to cash in on the image. And if not, they may fail miserably nevertheless: the Marian cover by Poesie Noire was abysmal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saWBM-S_FS4

Regarding this particular compilation: all the names that one knows recorded their Sisters covers at least 20 years ago:
Paradise Lost: 1995
In Extremo: 1999
Kreator: 1998
Cradle Of Filth: 2001
Silver_Owl
The Don

Just NO to all of them.

Apart from Lambchop.
We forgive as we forget
As the day is long.
Nonesuch
Road Kill

I’ve been in a couple of bands that have totally trashed Walk Away, Alice and possibly Some Kind of Stranger…

And I’ve seen a few bands attempt cover versions too with varying degrees of success. I played a gig at the Charlotte in Leicester in the early 1990s where one of the other bands did a version of Body Electric I seem to remember, that seemed like a lot of fun. Amphetamine Trash they might’ve been called.

To be honest I think it’s the vocals that are the hardest thing to reinterpret. Although those Lymon Willis versions are really great, I’d never heard those until this week.
czuczu
Overbomber

I'd like to hear some proper metal covers with operatic vocals, Belladonna era Anthrax stylee.
Being645
Above the Chemist

This whole Black Waves of Adrenochrome Tribute is now for a complete listen on YouTube ...

IMO, partly really not too bad, partly really crazy stuff ...